07-08 Sierra Denali Gas Milage?

Was wondering what type of Gas milage you're getting on average with your 6.2L? According to my on board computer I'm getting 14.2 MPG between hwy and city driving. Although, it seems to be a little better when I calculate it the old fashion way, the last tank I got 15 MPG with 91 octain. Before exhaust, intake and superchips was getting 13.6 MPG so I've seen a little improvement, anyone getting similar results?

My lifetime avg (I haven't reset since 8 miles on the ODO) is 12.9. I have about 5K miles now. I have a very heavy foot and tend to drive 80-85 on the highway if traffic is light enough. I expected it to go down when I put the larger wheels/tires on but it's actually gone up a little bit. I only had 1K on it when I changed the wheels, so I assume it's gone up as a function of the engine break-in.

I've seen as high as 21/22 on the road, but that was with me making a very conscious effort to keep the speed down to around 65. Normally, on the highway, I get around 18/19. (I have seen as low as 16 on the road, but that was a rare circumstance).

Around town, when I check it, it's usually somewhere between 13 and 15. I have a real short commute to work, with lots of redlights. So, I tend to not check my in-town mileage, unless I've run across town to see my parents or something like that. Otherwise, I can only imagine how bad that 2-3 mile commute with 6 or so lights would be.

Getting 14.5 on a mix of 1/3 city 2/3 highway driving 70-80 on the highway. This on an 08 Yukon Denali with 2500 miles on her. Still pretty impressed with the stock HP. Can't wait to install my Blackbear tune :tear:

Id be interested to see a breakdown of you $8-10 thousand a year estimate. Does that include monthly payments, or is insurance just that high where you live?

Pretty simple actually. You can look at it many ways. But here's the basics.

$40K truck, 48 months = $900/month

Insurance about $125/month

Fuel at 15Kmi., 3.00/gal, 12mpg = $300/month

Total = $1325/month or $16K/yr.

If your vehicle got 20mpg vs 12 in my example above, it would save you $1500/yr.

Subtract your down payment if any (keep in mind that this is your money). For me at 4 years old, the truck is usually worth about $15-20K trade, So the payment goes to about $600/month, which would make total go to $12K/yr. My salesman's $25K Impalla cost us $8-10K a year to own/operate, no matter how you slice it. Driving new cars every 4 yrs, costs money. The only way around this big cost is to drive less expensive vehicles much longer than 4yrs, and you could reduce your costs (but not by a ton, because your trade would be worth that much less beyond 4yrs), however at a risk of a major cost breakdown.

And while I did it for many years, driving 100K+mi Pontiacs and Buicks that I bought used for 6-8K, I've paid my dues. Nothing good in life is free or easy.

I've run through this same cost analysis with some dirtbike buds, and we've determined that owning/operating race dirtbikes, running about 10 races a year, costs $1500-2500/yr, no matter how you slice it. Keep the bike 2yrs, 3yrs, 4yrs, doesn't make much of difference. Amounts to a few hundred bucks a year diffence to keep one for 2yrs vs. 4yrs.

I am furtunate to not have to worry about a a couple thoasand here or there a year, which allows me to own newer, less worry cars and bikes. It's but a very small fraction of most middle to upper middle class salaries.

Let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis.

I don't see why we (i say i don't, but i look at the DIC to see) should care. 4-5K lbs truck, 400HP, $40K+. Overall cost to own, drive, insure, fuel, etc... $8-10K/year. Plus or minus 2 mpg amounts to a hill-of-beans.

I saw in this cost to own equation they also had figured in depreciation. You forgot that part.

Archived