Loaner Vehicles

I'm trying to get an idea of how many dealerships offer free loaner vehicles while your vehicle is in for warranty work. The dealership where I bought my truck is a pretty good sized one; that's why I was surprised and disappointed that they do not offer a free loaner. They do offer a shuttle service to drop you off and pick you up, and also will gladly RENT a vehicle to you, but no free loaner. I don't think this is fair, especially considering what we pay for a new vehicle. What does your dealership do?

I get a loaner, even on same-day service. Their policy is free loaners on any multiple day (overnight) warranty services. But since they do not want to shuttle me 15 miles each way, they just let me use a car. I have only needed one 3 times so far, all for the oil leak issue which took 3 tries to fix. 2x was same-day, once was 2 day service.

My dealer will give a loaner when the repair will take more than a "couple" hours. I had the truck there when I first got it to get the paint protected, would only take 3 hours, and they had no problem giving me a loaner.

I only wish they gave me a "test-drive" car rather than the dollar rental. When I take the bimmer in for repairs, the dealer will give a BMW courtesy car, if available. IMO, it’s a great marketing idea to get you to think of trading in for newer or what to consider for your next vehicle (or when asked your opinion by someone else).

My dealership used to do loaners (by renting a vehicle from the onsite Enterprise). This happened last year when the truck I had developed a pesky oil leak. I dropped it off that morning and that afternoon my truck was ready.

I have warranty work due to be done tomorrow (will have to reschedule) and the best they can do is shuttle service 15 miles each way to my work and back. Personally I feel for a $33k truck I deserve better than shuttle service.

NO loaner with me either however, I will point to a used vehicle and say, gimme a dealer tag, key for that car and where's my waiver to sign. They don't like it but it's worked twice.

But no pickup loaners.

I've only needed a loaner once, but my dealer is dam good in fixing stuff quick. Drivers side front and back window replaced today in 2 hours, then grease tracks on all windows.

Didn't have any need for a vehicle.

Numerous large dealerships in my area, all give out loaners(crappy Chevy with 100,000 miles) I think the main reason is that I live 30+ miles out of the city. I really need a vehicle to get to work, and they will not shuttle that far.

I have noticed that most dealer ships in the inner ring suburbs will offer a shuttle service. Although when I bought my Bonneville at Walser in Minneapolis I had to take it in for some warranty work at the time the shuttle was not working so they gave me a Sierra rental, which they paid for.

Shuttle for same-day service. "Rental" (dealer-owned) vehicle for multiple-day service.

GMC paid the bill as part of the warranty paperwork that I signed when I spent almost a week in a little GMC Canyon while my Sierra was being repaired.

If we ever need work done (warrenty or not), they will drive to us, give us a car, and drive ours to the dealership. Now thats what I call service!

Wow, that is rather impressive. That's one way to get repeat business! The dealer here won't give out loaners, but they will shuttle you to home/work. So far the vehicle hasn't been down or had a problem that would require it to stay overnight. In which case the ext'd warranty does state they should provide a loaner of some sort. Just minor issues. Only real delay is getting parts. So I just leave it for a couple days since there is really no point in picking it up and then taking it back a day or 2 later. And it gives me an excuse to borrow the folks TBSS. :sigh:

Seems pretty split so far. Haha yea Dean I have other vehicles to drive as well, but it doesn't do me any good unless I drop one off at a dealership beforehand! My dealership used to offer free loaner vehicles for any service appointments, but apparently they stopped due to liability concerns.

My dealer sticks to GM's warranty policy UNLESS you are 1) a customer that bought the vehicle there and 2) Show a little appreciation.... that is what the SM tells me on whether he gives a same day rental or not (Criteria that is used to say Yay, or Nay)

Archived