Rustproofing Your Truck

Here in my state some shops do an oil undercoating. The good ones that do it, drill holes for cavities, then use black plastic plugs. The entire underneath of truck/car is done. Sometimes called hot oil undercoating. This is a different product from the old 'undercoating' done by dealers for sound proofing. Hot oil spraying is usually done once per year for a price of $60.00. This procedure is legal in my state and monitored by DES (Department of Environmental Services) - a state agency.

Those down South or in no salt areas, this procedure probably sounds alien to them as vehicles don't rust as quickly if at all. Some of you who trade every couple/few years - this is a non-issue.

Here's a product someone sent to me as he is doing rustproofing himself: http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/CRC/CRC06026.html

Here's another one but I have yet to hear from someone who has had this put on vehicle:Waxoyl USA

World renowned Waxoyl Professional

www.waxoyl-usa.com

So the question is, does anyone do or have done to their trucks - Rustproofing?

Here in my state some shops do an oil undercoating. The good ones that do it, drill holes for cavities, then use black plastic plugs. The entire underneath of truck/car is done. Sometimes called hot oil undercoating. This is a different product from the old 'undercoating' done by dealers for sound proofing. Hot oil spraying is usually done once per year for a price of $60.00. This procedure is legal in my state and monitored by DES (Department of Environmental Services) - a state agency.

Those down South or in no salt areas, this procedure probably sounds alien to them as vehicles don't rust as quickly if at all. Some of you who trade every couple/few years - this is a non-issue.

Here's a product someone sent to me as he is doing rustproofing himself: http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/CRC/CRC06026.html

Here's another one but I have yet to hear from someone who has had this put on vehicle:Waxoyl USA

World renowned Waxoyl Professional

www.waxoyl-usa.com

So the question is, does anyone do or have done to their trucks - Rustproofing?

in western pa. they use a road salt liquid pretreat on the roads. When you get it on your trk it will dry and then reativate every time it gets wet. frames, brake lines, fuel lines, transmission lines will look 10 years old in 3-4 years. I have always had my trks rustproof and undercoated. they still look new underneath 5 years later.I say worth the money if you are going to keep the trk. and live in this part of the country.

in western pa. they use a road salt liquid pretreat on the roads. When you get it on your trk it will dry and then reativate every time it gets wet. frames, brake lines, fuel lines, transmission lines will look 10 years old in 3-4 years. I have always had my trks rustproof and undercoated. they still look new underneath 5 years later.I say worth the money if you are going to keep the trk. and live in this part of the country.

Amen. Used to always have rustproofing done along with careful underbody pressure washing as soon as the salt is off the roads.

The body & frame on the GMT900's do look more carefully built & better protected than the '97 C1500 I had before this but still doesn't do anything for the body hardware and the plumbing under the truck. I guess it will take some time to know how well protected this truck is from the factory, too bad it's too late to stop the corrosion by the time a problem is spotted.

Was told directly by the dealership, do not "rustproof" this truck or it void the body warranty. Was told the same thing when I bought my '04 Impala. The Impala now has corrosion problems on the under-body behind both front wheels where road splash hits.

My truck is undercoated and it looks terrible. It was done before i bought it, probably when it was a michigan truck. now its in Mississippi.

its peeling everytime i spray mud off of it and the frame is not looking good. its almost like a thick spraypaint. just a warning; dont get something really cheap done.

is that stuff you're talking about similar to the frame coating on our 2006 Sierra 2500?

This is an australian brand but I've seen the same thing at Canadian tire, anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.couplertec.com.au/product/4wd.html

Maybe the technology has changed. Many years ago my uncle purchased a new car and the dealer sold him on this technology. Some sort of electrode thingy attached to body of car in engine compartment. Well, the car rusted just like normal and was a rust bucket in 8 years. No, it didn't work - at least the one my uncle purchased.

The dealers claim was that this technology came from the Navy where they use it on ships to prevent rust - so it must be good. Well, something got lost in the translation as my uncles new car became a rust bucket.

dealers claim was that this technology came from the Navy where they use it on ships to prevent rust - so it must be good. Well, something got lost in the translation as my uncles new car became a rust bucket.

It seems it would be pretty easy for a "Fly By Night" operation to sell you on such a product... and then not be around 5 or 10 years later when you find out it didn't work.

Nothing rusts here. Or if it does, it takes a really really long time.

The only places I have undercoated on my truck are the rear wheel wells, because the cheapskates at GM could not provide a set of plastic wheel liners in the back. The key is to spray the undercoating, instead of caking it on with a brush. If you apply it too heavily, it will crack in time, potentially trapping water and salt, causing the metal underneath to rust.

However, several thin sprayed on layers of rubberized undercoating protect the paint from nicks caused by rocks and gravel, thus keeping the metal rust free.

As the gentlemen from Pennsylvania state. Salt and it's variants are disaster to new and old vehicles up north in the mountain and valley country. In my little hick town, every time it snows we have at least one to many car accidents. The citizens demand massive amounts of salt and sand. My state is also a haven for winter sports. And people come from other states to spend their money. So the interstates are massively salted.

There are a few people who don't drive much in winter, wash their car with the 'deluxe' car wash and garage their cars/trucks. These vehicles weather the rust somewhat better.

If one is from down south or in the dry climates, one really can't comprehend the devastation rust does to cars and trucks up north.

The Rusty Jones and the Ziebart of decades ago have mostly gone. Those products put a hard substance on the inards or a vehicle - and what they found was that the hard material seperated from the metal and voila - rust. Rusty Jones had a lifetime warranty - until they went bankrupt.

Newer vehicles do have a waxy substance on the frame - but not on all parts and certainly not on the inner panels. Granted, new vehicles are completely painted now. In the olden days the inside of body panels were not painted. But every vehicle I have seen has hidden cavities that hold moisture -which ultimately leads to rust.

Now, if one trades every few years this is a non-issue. And those who trade regularly probably do not place much empahsis on rust prevention as they get new vehicle every so many years.

Rust is a serious issue for those who purchase used trucks and those who plan on keeping new truck a long time.

Me, if I ever do trade-in my Park Ranger Green truck, it will, at least, have no rust. And when I do sell my version of "Fred" - my 1990 Chevrolet 1500, it will have zero rust.

I did read above that some stated that 'rustproofing' voids the warranty. And another stated that the 'undercoating' (probably done by the dealer) seems to be OK. It's an interesting question. If the dealer sprays something on the bottom of truck, it's OK. If the owner has something done to bottom of truck to prevent rust - it's not OK.

CRC sell a great product called heavy duty corrosion inhibitor. IT comes in a spray can and it does wonders protecting against rust. The chemical is a sticky liquid substance that completely coats the surface and it remains tacky and soft. I sprayed this stuff along the bottom door seams of my truck,as well as the inner hood metal creases.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/product...4/178090114.jpg

I have never got a rustpfoofing job done but on my 2001 2500 I bought 2 cans of Rustoleum flat black and got underneath and sprayed everything as well as I could every spring. I dont know if it helped or made the rust that was there worse faster because it was sealed in but it always looked good. Look up POR 15 on the net. The POR stands for paint over rust and supposedly stops it. The drawback is I believe you must brush it on, last time I had some you could not buy it in a spray can. Wont help your body panels but keep your undercarriage lookin good.

Archived