Code P2771

Axiom2000

Question

I have a 2005 Surburban and recently on occasion it would act as if it were operating on low power. Today while driving it acted that way and I got a check engine light, a friend of mine read the code and it was P2771, 4 Wheel Drive Low Switch Malfunction. I also noticed it switched to 4WD on its own and I could not get it into 2 WD. At any rate we reset the code and it is fine now however I believe it will come back again. What is a Low Switch Malfunction and what is it going to take to fix it.

Oh I also seem to be having a problems with the speedometer, it has a mind of its own sometimes it works and sometimes it takes a vacation. I understand this is a well known issue with these vehicles?

0 answers to this question

I got this error too, same symptoms.

Since the 4wd system needs some electrical current to change from 2wd to 4wd I would think if the 4wd fuse was pulled the system would stay in whatever mode it was in.

Is this true?

Can I drive the truck with the fuse pulled?

Here are the possibliies for the 4x4 light.

#1 is the most likely

1. Transfer case shift control module

2. 4WD low signal circuit for a short to ground

3. 4WD low signal circuit for an open

4. PCM

Far as your speedo it is the cluster assmbley (or if you know how to open up the cluster and replace the stepper motor the cost is about $15). If you can wait a while GM should start replacing them under and extended 7 years 70,000 miles warranty sometime soon.

The transfer case shift control module you list as the most likely cause, is that the switch on the dash?

No, It is mounted on the drivers side of the transfer case

Thanks Jonesy,

Apparently the problem is some motor in the 4WD system about a $700.00 fix. In addition it needs a steering shaft and the speedo fix, or total work of about $1200.00. Less than three years ago this was a $50,000 + vehicle. I traded my 98 Burb with 160,000 miles in on this one and it never gave me any problems like this. Is it any wonder GM is falling on hard times.

The encoder motor is what they are probably wanting to replace. Your best bet it is to get the part #, buy it from www.gmpartsdirect.com, get it put on (you, a tech, or gm shop). I can't remember if it has to be reprogramed or not. So you may have to take it in to a gm shop to have it programed.

The steering shaft I wouldn't even bother with it, unless the clunk bothers you. Nothing is wrong with the shaft gm made the shaft about 1/8th of an inch to to small...

The the cluster gm should release a warranty on it some time soon

Here are the possibliies for the 4x4 light.

#1 is the most likely

1. Transfer case shift control module

2. 4WD low signal circuit for a short to ground

3. 4WD low signal circuit for an open

4. PCM

Far as your speedo it is the cluster assmbley (or if you know how to open up the cluster and replace the stepper motor the cost is about $15). If you can wait a while GM should start replacing them under and extended 7 years 70,000 miles warranty sometime soon.

Archived