Removing Catalytic Converter

Your truck has OBD-2 on it and it reads the O2 sensors (should be 4 of them total, 2 before the CATs and two after) to monitor a lot of stuff. If you do not retune the computer to not read the rear O2 senors it will set off a code. So if you want to remove your cats without redoing the PCM your truck will have its warning lights come on. As for running worse propbably not, but I am not sure what the PCM will "tell" the motor to do once the warning light comes on. Also why do you want to remove the CATS, the peformace gain is minimal, if any and its one HUGE Fine in alot of places?

Your truck may or may not run worse but your lungs and the lungs of those near your truck will definately suffer. If it was 1978 I would say go for it but these days nobody really does that, it doesnt help and often hurts. If nothing else leave it on for the kids, they're getting a crappy planet as it is no need to make it worse. Plese dont get mad just telling the truth.

Also, if you remove the CATS, plan on doing ALL of your own service work, including tires. I was at the tire shop getting my wheels/tires put on and a guy came in with a used car he just bought that needed tie-rods and the shop refused to work on it because the CAT was missing. He went on to explain that it is ILLEGAL for any shop to work on a car with it's CATS missing unless they replace it as part of the service. They face HUGE fines for working on a car without CAT, regardless of the type of work performed. The Gov't is really cracking down on this, as they should.

Your truck may or may not run worse but your lungs and the lungs of those near your truck will definately suffer. If it was 1978 I would say go for it but these days nobody really does that, it doesnt help and often hurts. If nothing else leave it on for the kids, they're getting a crappy planet as it is no need to make it worse. Plese dont get mad just telling the truth.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :banghead: A vehicle with a cat produces 90% less emissions than the same vehicle without a cat. There's a reason it's there.

It is reccommended to change your catalytic converter every ten years. The reason for this being that with use, they break down and actually end up doing more harm then if they were not there at all.

If you cut it off on newer vehicles, there is a good chance it will run like s%^t due to the 02 sensors

I probably won't do it anyway. But we don't have emissions where I live and I was really more curious than anything because I thought that removing the cats would make the truck run bad and have an erratic idle. But I just like 'em loud!!!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I probably won't do it anyway. But we don't have emissions where I live and I was really more curious than anything because I thought that removing the cats would make the truck run bad and have an erratic idle. But I just like 'em loud!!!! :lol:

It is illegal. No matter what your state has for laws. These are federal laws. Assuming you are USA. But beyond that.

You also have resale value to think about. I suppose you could put it back on when done.

But there is just too much hassle if taken off. Can it be done. Sure. Is it wise. No.

Archived