Evap Vent Valve Solenoid #

Ok guys, I need this broken own into idiot terms for me. I have an 03 chevy 1500 5.3. I have the p0449 code. I bought part number 214-2081 . It came with a cannister, a plastic hose and what looks to b a vent. I have searched on here and the problem I am having is that there is no diagrams of the 2003 and apparently the part has changed to a different one. Mine has the hose running up between the bed and cab and attached to the bed. The other end is attached to a box (cannister?) located in front of the gas tank. ls this the part I remove and replace it wih the new one? Or do I connect the supplied hose to that box, mount the cannister somewhere underneath, attach the other vent with a 5/8 hos and attach it close the transmission? I have look at pics on here but none what I have seen looks like what I have. thanks

Do I disgard the plastic hose that it came wth and hook up some 5/8 hose to the box near the gas tank and attach the other end to the cannister. Mount the cannister underneath and take some more 5/8 and route it to the transmission and connect the other end of that 5/8 to the vent?

You either clear the code by removing a battery terminal for a few minutes or clear it with a code reader. Otherwise, you have to drive a least 20 miles and it will clear itself ( I believe ). I cleared mine using my old AutoXray2000 after replacement.

You either clear the code by removing a battery terminal for a few minutes or clear it with a code reader. Otherwise, you have to drive a least 20 miles and it will clear itself ( I believe ). I cleared mine using my old AutoXray2000 after replacement.

Ive got a scan gauge code reader and i cleared it twice. I am not sure I have got it even hooked up right

Mine took three driving cycles to reset

Had the same code p0449, replaced the valve and all that crap still no good. What i found is po449 is not seeing the ground from the ECM. Look where the wires come out of the ECM, Peel back 5-6 inches of black tape and found green crap on wires. look hard, it should be a white wire, give them a LITTLE tug and you will fine the broken one. Looks like someone must of been poking around with a test light. Clear codes, been good ever since...If all looks good @ ECM ohom wire to valve... cheek for opens to valve.

Just got the canister and solenoid at my door and installed it. Cleared the code and took it for a spin. Everything looks good!!! You guys are WALLET SAVERS!!! Thanks to everyone for the help here!!! Total cost with hose and clamps was 35 bucks!!! :thumbs:

I cleared the code with the old part on and took it for a ride. It took about a half-mile before turning back on. With the new part on, I drove it for quite a while at different speeds. I believe this was my own fault for fueling up with the truck running and topping off the tank so much. :D

I replaced it with the 214-2149 and I am still having the code pop up. With he 214-2149, it comes with a plug. I see where one end hooks up but how does it hook to the other end? It also has no current going to the wire with the key on, Is it supposed too?I think I see a trip to the stealership in my near future

im having the same problem with my 05 silverado im just wondering if anyone has any pics of the install ??would be a great help for a rookie like myself with barely any mechanical knowledge.any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Click on this link.....

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...71&hl=p0449

robo1 has some pics of the part and install on his 05.

Edited by Bears_Fan_Bud_man

I replaced it with the 214-2149 and I am still having the code pop up. With he 214-2149, it comes with a plug. I see where one end hooks up but how does it hook to the other end? It also has no current going to the wire with the key on, Is it supposed too?I think I see a trip to the stealership in my near future

Can you be more specific? Have you tested the male plug with a voltage tester? The plug should fit right into the side of the solenoid. Did you also clear the code with a scan tool or disconnect the battery to clear it?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, please help me with this, I have a silverado 1500 2003, have the P0446 light set, it says "EVAP emission control circuit", after researching found that I need to replace the evap vanister vent solenoid, bought frm AutoZone , this is the part I bought

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...chText=solenoid

the problem that the part I bought does not look the same as the one I found on the truck between the bed and the truck, GM TSB says that the new one is an upgraded part and it is different and supposed t be installed apart from the filter box, as I understood from the forum that I am supposed to buy 5/8 hoses and connect one hose from the new solenoid to the evap cansiter, and another hose should be connected from the solenoid to the filter box, I have the following questions, can I use the old filter box "square box" or am I supposed to buy a new one? also the new part as shown in the AutoZone link I provided has 2 openings, which one should connect to the evap cansiter and which one should connect to the filter box? also the old bracket does not seem to work for the new solenoid?

little help here please?

:cool: