Evap Vent Valve Solenoid #

Ok I did some searching before getting on here to ask for help. Trying to do some maintenance and repairs myself and save some $$$. I have a 2003 Silverado and am getting the CEL and a code P0449. I know what this means but am having a issue finding the part. I want to replace it but I have found no place that lists the ac delco part #. Also the Chilton manual mentions a vent hose and electrial connector but the picture doesn't show the electrial. Does anyone know if this part has one and can give me a part # to use?

After reading this entire thread, I ordered the part and replaced mine yesterday! CEL is gone!

The part number I used (for 2003 Silverado Z71) was 214-1091 (ACDelco). I got it from amazon and it was 20 bucks WITH shipping!

Many thanks to forum members! :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Found the source of the smell. Seem that one of the tubes coming out the top of the fuel pump has a small hole rusted through. Im wondering if this is the only reason for my po445 and po449 codes. Or if I need to replace the vent solinoid as well?

...one of the tubes coming out the top of the fuel pump has a small hole rusted through..
Any tank leak will trigger evap code.

I would just repair any leaks and see what happens.

Thanks, drove it and engine light is still on. I think I remember someone on here say It will take at least 3 driving cycles till the light goes out. If the light stays on I guess Im changing the vent solinoid next weekend. Is it ok do be driving the truck if the vent solinoid is bad? Im not driving far just back and forth to work. Thanks again for everyones help.

• 1 month later...

I have the same truck and replaced with the same kit as you have. My filter box was already located above the transmission. Replaced it all a week ago, drove over 160 miles in a bunch of trips and still have the light on. Read the code again today and its still saying PO446. any thoughts on what else to try?

Thanks,

mike

OK - I did a lot of reading on this subject and have successfully repaired my new style Silverado LT for a little over $100 bucks.

For my 2007 Silverado, Ext Cab 4x4, LT2

I ordered AC Delco part #214-2082

It came with the solenoid and replacement filter unit (did not use).

1. Taking it off was really easy.

2. On the canister side, it is a white clip and can be fully pulled out with a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers

3. Taking of the flex and rigid lines on the solenoid required me to use the heat gun to remove. ***Make sure to keep the gun away from the flex as it is very thin.

4. I attempted to reattach the rigid hose but the end was a little brittle from the heat gun. I cut off a small section and replaced with 5/8 heater hose and 2 clamps. It was only about 1" long. This is covered in the GM Tech Advisory #2101090

5. Next I reattached all of the lines

6. To reset the CEL, I disconnected the + side of the battery for a few minutes.

7. Started it up and no light.

Been driving it now for a couple of weeks and no issues. I actually noticed a small increase in gas mileage. Not sure how this is related

Overall - saved myself about $350...

Any questions - PM me.

I have the same truck and replaced with the same kit as you have. My filter box was already located above the transmission. Replaced it all a week ago, drove over 160 miles in a bunch of trips and still have the light on. Read the code again today and its still saying PO449. any thoughts on what else to try?

Thanks,

mike

OK - I did a lot of reading on this subject and have successfully repaired my new style Silverado LT for a little over $100 bucks.

For my 2007 Silverado, Ext Cab 4x4, LT2

I ordered AC Delco part #214-2082

It came with the solenoid and replacement filter unit (did not use).

1. Taking it off was really easy.

2. On the canister side, it is a white clip and can be fully pulled out with a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers

3. Taking of the flex and rigid lines on the solenoid required me to use the heat gun to remove. ***Make sure to keep the gun away from the flex as it is very thin.

4. I attempted to reattach the rigid hose but the end was a little brittle from the heat gun. I cut off a small section and replaced with 5/8 heater hose and 2 clamps. It was only about 1" long. This is covered in the GM Tech Advisory #2101090

5. Next I reattached all of the lines

6. To reset the CEL, I disconnected the + side of the battery for a few minutes.

7. Started it up and no light.

Been driving it now for a couple of weeks and no issues. I actually noticed a small increase in gas mileage. Not sure how this is related

Overall - saved myself about $350...

Any questions - PM me.

• 3 months later...

Ok so I read through this entire thread. Alot of talk about the GM-800 style trucks and part numbers. Does anyone know the correct PN for the GM-900 series that may be a bit less expensive then the $156 I see on Rock auto website?

Ok so I read through this entire thread. Alot of talk about the GM-800 style trucks and part numbers. Does anyone know the correct PN for the GM-900 series that may be a bit less expensive then the $156 I see on Rock auto website?

For my GM-900 I used ACDelco 214-2082, $60 off Amazon. It has the solenoid and remote filter, you just need to pick up some 5/8" heater hose and clamps. Here is a post with pictures from when I replaced mine.

• 2 years later...

Just to add to the converation... I have an '02. I just resolved the PO449 by replacing the evap vent canister. I used part number 25932571. You do not have to remove the bed of the truck, but it is a pain to get at. Just plan on wrecking the old one, breaking the hose fittings off, and replacing with a new peice of hose and a couple hose clamps. Also, I zip tied the new one on and rotated it 90 degrees making it easier to mount and not have the hose bending.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to thank the members for their posts in this thread. I had the PO449 code and thanks to the posts in this thread was able to replace the solenoid myself for less than $50. One of the easiest things i've done to my truck. I did find that the solenoid had been replaced back in 09 when the truck was under warranty. They used the kit with the remote filter. I removed all of that and replaced it with the original style solenoid. Thanks again!!!

• 1 year later...

Good evening folks,

I realize this is a very old, but long running thread. I hope that some here may be able to answer some questions and provide some advice/help to me, and I thank you in advance.

I purchased a 2003 GMC Sierra Denali yesterday from a friend. He hadn't run the truck in the last 10 months, but had started it and left it to idle for a while to charge the battery earlier this week. On the way home, the check engine light came on, and Inoticed it is running a little rough. I figured old gas, combined with long idling may have messed something up. So I filled it up and ran it a while today, but it didn't help. I decided to run it by AutoZone and get the codes run. Turns out it is had this 449 EVAP code many of you mentioned, along with a code to clean the mass air sensor, which I did this evening.

I've been researching what I need to do to replace the canister purge valve and I'm a little confused. I've read through this thread, and see many of you are getting the same codes and resolving it with this updated canister solenoid kit AC Delco 214-2081

large.JPG

( However, when I went to RockAuto, and look for the canister purge valve the shop said I needed, I get part number AC Delco 214646,

214-646_Primary.jpg

which is apparently located on the intake manifold on the motor (

I've been looking for "how-tos" on how to replace this item, and I found a video on YouTube which shows that the 2003 (and only the 2003 apparently, lucky me), requires replacement of the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid by lifting up the bed, to get access to it:

And I just crawled under there to confirm, that's where it's located on this truck.

I'm assuming this is the part that is being replaced by ACDelco 214-2081? If I have to go this route, and buy this updated part which relocates the canister valve, do I still have to lift the bed to get to it, or am I able to reroute the parts by removing the other ends of the hoses and electrical connections? I was planning to go to my local parts store tomorrow and get the AC Delco 21464 because that's what they said the code called for. Is this is a separate piece to the system, which could possibly resolve my problem, or am I confusing the parts?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

(P.S. Mods, I didn't see any rules against posting links to sites, if that violates any TOS, please let me know and I'll remove them, or do so if you need to. Thank you)

• 3 years later...

Okay so I have a 02 avalanche amd I replace the solenoid and the EVAP vent and now the truck won't crank over is this a security issue? Ive did the turn the key on for 10 minutes deal. Hasn't worked I let it sit overnight and went out next morning amd it started right up the,  I turned it off let it sit for an hour went back out and tried to crank it over again and it wouldn't start anybody have any ideas what's going on here, I'm lost the starter starts to crank and then it stopped spinning and all you hear is like a vacuum type sound