Nbs Owners...afm Problems. Must-read

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Super Stealth

Super Stealth

GM DEALER TECH

• 1,051 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

Just found out about a new TSB from GM. Deals specifically with NBS and 5.3 / 6.0 engines.

People are complaining about cold-start tick that lasts for around a minute.

Turns out, the AFM lifters are failing. Already.

GM has authorized replacement of ALL lifters, if the customer complains of a rattle / tick on cold starts.

PIP 4344
document id 2065710

What the heck?? At least the engine is quiet in my NBS '08...does this mean it will get loud??

Doesn't GM test this stuff before it goes into mass-production ??? I'm sure alot of us are really starting to lose some faith here...

Edited by 98 Z71 SLT, 22 February 2008 - 08:11 PM.

2010 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
EXTENDED CAB,STANDARD BOX
LIFE IS GREAT WITH THE 4.8

#2 Señor Rocky

Señor Rocky

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

:M16:

Perhaps Mike (M. Cueva) could post this bulletin on here?

rockynewsig2_zps2219857d.png

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LT Z71 4x4 (Regular cab)

5.3L FlexFuel 4.10 gears

#3 saskfarmer

saskfarmer

Enthusiast

• 821 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

This doesnt mean you will have a problem, it means some people have had this problem. Did you ever get that vibration fixed?

#4 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

GM and other MFR's test ,test,test but the problem is the supplier. They make a contract to make a product and then when GP3 production parts come out its been cheapened. Result is failures. I have seen it for many many years. This does not just apply the Cars & trucks but everything.

#5 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

you got it....give me a min

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#6 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image Service Information
Document ID: 2065710 #PIP4344: Short Duration Cold Start Lifter Tick Noise - keywords 5.3 6.0 cam engine L76 LC9 LFA LH6 LMG LS4 LY5 oil pressure start - (Feb 18, 2008)

Posted Image

Subject:Short Duration Cold Start Lifter Tick Noise

Models:2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Chevrolet Impala

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Equipped with the 5.3 or 6.0 Active Fuel Management engines

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com...s#ss1-2065710">
Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment on a cold start engine tick noise. The noise explained may be an extended duration noise related to AFM (Active Fuel Management) valve lifters. The noise may repeat on subsequent cold starts. Noise will be camshaft speed and may last over 1 minute. Noise will only occur after a cold soak that is greater than four hours in duration.

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com...s#ss2-2065710">
Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current SI diagnostic for any symptom or DTCs found. If an extended duration lifter tick noise has been verified (usually greater than 1 minute), and the noise is considered excessive and repeatable, lifter replacement may be required. To repair this concern all lifters should be replaced with lifters obtained through GMSPO. There is no special part number necessary.

Note: The 6.0L engine, RPO code LFA has been built with updated lifters since 1-28-2008. 6.0 LFA engines built prior to 1-28-2008 may need the lifters replaced if the customer concern is as described in this PI.

Note: If a cold start lifter tick noise has been verified on any other 5.3L or 6.0L AFM engine, lifter replacement may be necessary. These engines (L76 LC9 LH6 LMG LS4 LY5) do not have a build date released for updated lifters.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Posted Image WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

#7 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

that truly sucks

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:

#8 2011silveradoNBS

2011silveradoNBS

Enthusiast

• 263 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

So how many people are going to go out and start their trucks and listen more closely to their engines than they normally do?
11 Silverado LT White w/ Ebony INT, All Star Edition, 4x4, 5.3L, 6sp, Both Z71 packages.
Westin 4" Nerf Bars, BushWacker Rail Caps, BedRug BedTred Pro Bedliner, 3.42 gears.

#9 excaliber

excaliber

Enthusiast

• 68 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

This is not good. The AFM is one of the few things I do not like about the GM trucks. I wish they would just eliminate it all together.
I was told several months ago that the AFM was going to be an issue with these trucks. I guess they were right.

#10 HawkeyeOC

HawkeyeOC

4 wrenches & 1 loose nut

• 1,904 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

Darn! Heard the cold start ticking a couple of times on my 5.3. Hello dealer!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE-2 Crew Cab
5.3L Summit White/ebony cloth interior with the "lint attracting seats" option, a 5 pack of 3M lint rollers behind the backseat, and 1 crooked Z71 sticker
Mods:Line-X, A.R.E. cap, Front air dam removed, Scosche Bluefusion bluetooth interface, OEM Nav system (had tons of fun ripping out 1/2 my interior for that...lol
Other rides:
1998 Toyota Rav4 SOLD (family grew out of the clown car)
2008 Toyota Rav4 (Seats 7 midgets in perfect comfort)
1965 Ford Mustang GT
An electric lawnmower to make the greenies happy
Posted Image

#11 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

print it out and then take it and shove it up their asses

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:

#12 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Goddammitanyway

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#13 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Sorry, I couldnt help it....

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:

#14 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

So if you are willing to put up with the ticking at start up, is there really any risk to just not caring about it?

I have never heard the ticking by the way, but then again I've never listened for it.
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#15 jdolotina

jdolotina

Enthusiast

• 99 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

What a bunch of crap sometimes I wish I waited for an 08 instead of jumping the gun and buying the first year model. Sometimes, it sucks being a ginnie pig...

Josh :M16:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users