Brake Controllers

nbscanuck

i use a HOPPY brand controller, cost 70 bucks had for 3 years and counting, has a single led that changes color with brake pressure applied (isn`t the really fancy one, top of the line has a lcd screen with numbers.) i know my dad, brother, and many other poeple i know run different models of HOPPYs and have never had problems! easy to install! some just plug in!

I had a Tekonsha Voyageur for a while, but for me, could never get used to the signal LED. It changed to green-orange-red based on how much braking force was required.

I've since switch to the Prodigy....it's easier to set and has a digital display that display's how much voltage is being applied to the brakes.

I had a prodigy in my suburban when I bought it. Little did I know that I had one of the best brake controllers for the money.

I started perusing rv.net to get tips/pointers and they have a lot of info on them in the towing thread.

You will find all kinds of info on towing your toy hauler.

• 4 months later...

I did ALOT of research before I purchased a trailer brake controller. It was down to either the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3, or the Jordan Ultima 2020. I went with the Tekonsha P3. It is the newest, latest, & greatest. You should be able to find them online for $150 or less (don't believe the list prices). The beauty is that it is highly customizable, makes trouble-shooting a breeze, and actually senses the rate at which you're slowing down and applies more trailer-brake pressure if you're stopping quicker. My 08 Dodge has a built-in exhaust brake, which has been great -- but I installed the P3 as a sort of back-up or extra safety measure. It also has a "reverse mode", which disables the trailer brakes for 5 minutes (or until deactivated) while you back it up. Set up is a breeze -- you drive at 15 miles per hour and set the maximum boost pressure at a setting that does not allow the trailer brakes to lock up or squeal, yet slows both the pickup and trailer down. Once that is set, you're home-free. One thing you need to keep in mind though is that, from what I understood, it needs to be mounted in a horizontal position, as the sensor that detects how quickly you're trying to stop needs to be horizontal to work effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived