Truck Pulls To The Right. (after Wheel Alignment)

Hi all,

My 2001 chev 1500 4x4 pulls to the right. The alignment shop tried correcting it but

say that it might be an internal leak in the steering box causing it to constantly pull to one side. Is there any truth to this? When I'm driving it feels like there is slightly more resistance in the steering wheel when it is turned left, but less when turned right.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible that the control valve in your steering rack/box has a problem, but my personal experience with alignments has been anywhere from complete incompetency (common) to the occasional guy with some experience who knows what he's talking about. Unless the pull is severe, it could be a problem with one of your front tires. If you switch right to left and the pull comes from the other way, then you know the tire is the cause.

I wonder if this is a valid way to check the shop's diagnosis- jack up the front of the truck with both front wheels off the ground, then start the engine. If it's a power steering problem like they describe, my guess is that the wheels will try to steer by themselves. Just a thought- good luck.

Of the three basic alignment settings, toe in, caster, and camber, it is the caster that will cause the truck to pull to one side if adjusted incorrectly. Caster is the angle of the wheel with the vertical axis along the truck long axis. One wheel has to be actually ahead of another to compensate for the road crown. Thus identical caster settings on both wheels will almost surely cause pulling to one side.

Too much positive camber (wheels tilted inward) will cause excessive wear on the wheel outside edges.

Excessive positive toe (wheel not parallel, but pointing inward will result in excessive feathering on the outside tire edges.

Keep in mind that these settings are usually only a fraction of a degree (angular degree).

Earlier post suggests lifting front tires off ground and starting engine. This is exactly correct and will define problem. I had the same problem after an alignment and just gave up and put a bit more caster on the left side myself. 10 minutes later, perfect. My upper control arms have cam adjusters on them so it was easy. I don't know if they are all this way.

Ken

Ken

Archived