4l60e Swap

SUBURBAN95NI

Question

Guys I have been looking everywhere for this answer and I just cant seem to find the answer. Is there anyway you guys can make a "sticky" or whatever its called to have a "4L60E Fitment Guide" for these forums? That would be a great tool and it would lower the amount of these questions to be posted, and hell I would be more then willing to get the thing up and running.

On to the question, I have a '95 'burb that is hurtin' for a new 4L60E. I found and purchased a clean (exterior, and fluid) 50k mile '99 4x4 4L60E, and now I want to know what all I will need to make this work. I understood from looking at some of the posts I was searching, that I will need a mechanical to electric adapter for the speedometer, is this correct? What else will I need? Hell will it even work in that year of Suburban!? Also should I keep the old converter or get a new one? If I get a new one what do you guys recommend? I appreciate any help that can be given, in exchange I will post pictures of the swap and all pertinent information once I am done.

Nick

0 answers to this question

Well its been a while since I have posted, but I just wanted to let everyone out there know that I ran across a NV4500 threat at FSC and decided to go that route. So no more 60e for me, the NV4500 is the only way to fly!

What is a NV4500? Transfer case ? If so did you go to a 4/80e Trans ?

Mark

The NV4500 is a heavy duty 5spd manual transmission that was used in late model Chevy and Dodge pickups, usually attached to a diesel engine.

I would recommend doing this swap over a automatic any day of the week.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Mark

The 99 1500s were nbs Silverados, the 2500s changed in 2000. You need to be sure computer and other electronics will support the tranny even if it will bolt in. You might be better to rebuild yours and sell the 99. Mark.

Correct, but the vehicle this transmission came out of was a '99 Suburban. As far as I know the Suburbans switched to their new body/engine style in '00.

Nick

The 99 1500s were nbs Silverados, the 2500s changed in 2000. You need to be sure computer and other electronics will support the tranny even if it will bolt in. You might be better to rebuild yours and sell the 99. Mark.

Well after a year I finally found some time to replace the tranny in my 'burb. A '99 4l60e replaced a '95 4l60e. The swap was direct. One of the new things about this new tranny is that it has a removeable bellhousing. The new tranny was also 1.5" shorter then the original so GM added 1.5" to the transfer case adapter. Does anyone know if this affects how much of the output shaft is inside of the transfer case?

One of the things that I am having a problem with is that I can now shift the tranny into gear without pressing the brake. What have a screwed up here? Also the tranny will move into PRND3 but will not move the selector into 2 or 1. Did I have to replace the shifter cable also to a '99 model?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

On to the question, I have a '95 'burb that is hurtin' for a new 4L60E. I found and purchased a clean (exterior, and fluid) 50k mile '99 4x4 4L60E, and now I want to know what all I will need to make this work. I understood from looking at some of the posts I was searching, that I will need a mechanical to electric adapter for the speedometer, is this correct? What else will I need? Hell will it even work in that year of Suburban!? Also should I keep the old converter or get a new one? If I get a new one what do you guys recommend? I appreciate any help that can be given, in exchange I will post pictures of the swap and all pertinent information once I am done.

Nick

I know for sure a 96+ 4L60E is different than a 95 4L60E, at least the case anyways but i'm not sure about a 99 becuase of maybe they changed them again for the new trucks and engines. The neutral satey switch is located on the trans on a 96 and not there on a 95 but that shouldn't effect you. Also, both would have electric speedo and it doesn't run off the trans on a 4x4 anyways, it runs of the transfer case so you wouldn't even have to worry about that. Is the trans from ls1 or gen 1 engine?

Nick

I know for sure a 96+ 4L60E is different than a 95 4L60E, at least the case anyways but i'm not sure about a 99 becuase of maybe they changed them again for the new trucks and engines. The neutral satey switch is located on the trans on a 96 and not there on a 95 but that shouldn't effect you. Also, both would have electric speedo and it doesn't run off the trans on a 4x4 anyways, it runs of the transfer case so you wouldn't even have to worry about that. Is the trans from ls1 or gen 1 engine?

Hemi:

Yeah I want to change the converter, but Im not sure what RPM range would be correct. Any help on that issue would be appreciated.

Mark:

I assume the tranny is from a gen 1 engine because after '99 they switched to the next body style and the LS engines. Correct? Well I know I should have checked this out before I purchased the tranny but I saw a 60e for cheap and jumped on it. If it doesnt work out Ill just sell the tranny and probably make a profit on it, but Id rather have it in my 'burb.

Edit:

This is what I found at www.novak-adapt.com:

The key distinction of the Later 4L60-E (1997-2006) from the Early 4L60-E (1992-1997) or 4L60 (1990-1992) or 700R4 (1982-1989) is the six-bolt "hex" rear output or tailhousing / adapter pattern. The previous versions featured a four-bolt square bolt pattern at the adapter or tailhousing. Additionally, the removeable bellhousing is also another distinguishing feature.

Well its been a while since I have posted, but I just wanted to let everyone out there know that I ran across a NV4500 threat at FSC and decided to go that route. So no more 60e for me, the NV4500 is the only way to fly!

Mark

The NV4500 is a heavy duty 5spd manual transmission that was used in late model Chevy and Dodge pickups, usually attached to a diesel engine.

I would recommend doing this swap over a automatic any day of the week.

Mark

Just be sure it will work. Just because its the same body, doesn't mean the computer will run it. Mark.

Right, thats why Im on this forum looking for information. Its been tough finding a list of revisions for the 60e but Im still looking, if I find anything Ill post it here.

Thanks for the help.

Nick

Archived