Engine Hot A/c Turned Off

luap1980

Question

2008 sierra 5.3 flex fuel. I got a display on my dash saying "engine hot a/c turned off" on my way home from work. When I saw this I pulled over and stopped turned off my engine (the fan was running steady) then I checked my coolant, which was good, and made sure the engine was not steaming, . At this time my temp. gauge was also not working. Now the truck won't start. The temp. outside was -12 C . Before I left work I let the truck warm up (the temp. guage was working then). I left the truck overnight and went back and it is still displaying "engine hot a/c turned off" message. Any ideas?

5 answers to this question

Have it towed to the dealer and let your warranty work. Mark.

Well taking it to a dealer would have been my first thought but since I bought my truck in the U.S. and I live in Canada my warranty does not kick in untill after 6 months/ 7500 miles but I saved $12000. Man are dealers in Canada gouging Canadians or what? Anyways, I found my problem was my block heater cord!! I had cut the thermostat "tumor" off the end of my cord so that the cord was operational above 0F/-18C. That night it was only -12C so I guess it tripped A sensor. A GM mechanic said he has seen stuff like this before if the cord is cut the truck gives out error codes when nothing is wrong.

Yea i think have the same problem..... I re wired the block heater cord couple days ago... and pluged in every night and it was warm last night and got a message saying engine hot ac turned off..... how did u fix your problem???

Problem solved!

I fixed mine! Change everything they said to change. A/c still turned off.

Then I turned the heater all the way hot. Ran it for a while on low fan. Switched the temp control back and forth hot to cold. A/C has been working ever since

Have it towed to the dealer and let your warranty work. Mark.

Well taking it to a dealer would have been my first thought but since I bought my truck in the U.S. and I live in Canada my warranty does not kick in untill after 6 months/ 7500 miles but I saved $12000. Man are dealers in Canada gouging Canadians or what? Anyways, I found my problem was my block heater cord!! I had cut the thermostat "tumor" off the end of my cord so that the cord was operational above 0F/-18C. That night it was only -12C so I guess it tripped A sensor. A GM mechanic said he has seen stuff like this before if the cord is cut the truck gives out error codes when nothing is wrong.

Archived