Rear End Fluid Capacity

Scorpion210

Question

I have an 02 2wd Silverado. I just changed the rear end fluid but I am not sure of the correct amount.

I have been unable to find a stated capacity anywhere. I put two quarts in but I had a hard time telling if I was within the 5/8" as stated in the manual so I measured what I took out. It was ~ 1.75 quarts. Does anyone know the capacity for 2wd rear end with 3.42 gears?

0 answers to this question

Thanks bossier62guy, you confirmed what I had thought. I put in 2 quarts and I feel like I am within the .6 - 1.6 range. I just could not find the actual capacity stated anywhere.

My pleasure....have a good one.

I have an 02 2wd Silverado. I just changed the rear end fluid but I am not sure of the correct amount.

I have been unable to find a stated capacity anywhere. I put two quarts in but I had a hard time telling if I was within the 5/8" as stated in the manual so I measured what I took out. It was ~ 1.75 quarts. Does anyone know the capacity for 2wd rear end with 3.42 gears?

First of all "till if comes out of the hole" is an incorrect answer and you'd expect a GM TECH to know this. The correct level, according to the service manual, is between 0.6-1.6 inches below the fill hole. Take a pipe cleaner and bend it and check the level while the truck is sitting on a level surface. The capacity is listed as 2.41 qts but you're never going to get it all completely out anyway.

I know what the "spec is" I like to make sure the axle bearings get enough oil,are we learning anything now,please do not disrespect me because I did not look up the correct amount to the question.

You mean the way you disrespect most of the people that ask for assistance on this board? Keep your fingers off the keyboard if you can't answer the questions asked....you're the one that needs to do some learning....it's called courtesy and manners!!!

so you don't agree with the level at the bottom of the fill hole?

I absolutly agree with your answer-fill to bottom hole. In test conducted by Mag-Hytec who manufactures aluminum diff covers they came to the conclusion that GM spec did not allow enough oil to properly keep the bearings lubed.

In fact they build their diff covers with a dip stick that puts the oil levek 1/2 inch over the hole. I contacted them and spoke to one of their engineers who told me in test they got the best results in and the longest lasting gear sets by doing this.

I have ran my GMC this way for the last (3) three years with absolutly no negative issues.

Now manners or not, I don't always blindly follow the owners manuel if I find a better way, its just a recomendation and not always cast in stone. It never hurts to think outside the box.

Have a good one, :lol:

Don

Archived