What's The Difference Between C1500 And K1500?

I'm shopping around for car insurance because I will be buying within the next 2 weeks. However, all insurance companies want to know if the truck I'm going to get is a K1500 or C1500. I will be buying a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. Any idea which one it is?

Thanks!

And don't try to fool the insurance company by telling them you have bought a 2WD C1500 when you really bought a 4WD K1500. :P The truck VIN number will have the driveline type and the insurance company will want the VIN when you go to take out the policy.

Its none of the above, you are getting a sierra 1500. The Ks are from 1990 or somewhere back then till 1998 and 99 & 2000 there were k and c s in the hds. You are getting a sierra and tell them to get their facts straight lol.

True, but many businesses (including insurance companies) still use the C/K designations to differentiate between the 2 and 4WD models.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not trying to fool them, it's just since this is my first truck and insurance in my name, I want to buy the insurance first, so when I buy from the dealer, I can drive the truck off the lot, and then update my insurance with the VIN.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not trying to fool them, it's just since this is my first truck and insurance in my name, I want to buy the insurance first, so when I buy from the dealer, I can drive the truck off the lot, and then update my insurance with the VIN.

As long as you are insured with a vehicle, you do NOT need to have your insurance updated to drive it off the lot. I believe you have several days after the purchase to call your insurance co. to update your info.

As long as you are insured with a vehicle, you do NOT need to have your insurance updated to drive it off the lot. I believe you have several days after the purchase to call your insurance co. to update your info.

That's the problem - I don't have insurance on another vehicle in my name. I am just under my parents insurance, driving their car.

That's the problem - I don't have insurance on another vehicle in my name. I am just under my parents insurance, driving their car.

As long as you are listed on their policy, you are good to go.

Yup. Here in NJ I think you have 3 days to get the insurance updated.

Its none of the above, you are getting a sierra 1500. The Ks are from 1990 or somewhere back then till 1998 and 99 & 2000 there were k and c s in the hds. You are getting a sierra and tell them to get their facts straight lol.

actually its still in use, just look at your vin, c/k is still there

Wellll, my 2005 factory shop manuels lists them as C & K?????

And if you look at the VIN, character#5 will be either C or K for 2 or 4 wheel dr. This is for my 2005. Sorry, you are wrong.

Don

Be careful with that information Jeff; it doesn't apply everywhere. For example, that's not the case here in New York. You need an accurate, current insurance card for the vehicle you're buying or legally you're not supposed to drive it off the lot. Dealers are very strict about enforcing this.

Be careful with that information Jeff; it doesn't apply everywhere. For example, that's not the case here in New York. You need an accurate, current insurance card for the vehicle you're buying or legally you're not supposed to drive it off the lot. Dealers are very strict about enforcing this.

Thanks Will, I should have stated that was based on MN law and you'd be best off checking with your ins co. on what is req'd.

Archived