High Miles Yukon Denali Will It Last?

Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase a high mileage 2002 Yukon Denali at what I believe is a good price ($4,000). But it has very high miles 225k. The current owner is a relative and he has had it since new. Almost all miles are highway miles and it is dealer maitained. Trans has been repalced twice but other then that , no other trouble in the past. It runs good. Dealer told him they would give him 4k on a trade so his price is firm. Can I expect this engine to blow soon? Can it last another 100k mile without rebuild? I would really like to buy it but I don't want a money pit. Looking for opinions.

Welcome to the site. So long as the oil has been changed regularly and there are no tell-tale signs of impending trouble, you should be in pretty good shape. Does it idle rough? Smoke at start up? Burn much oil in between changes? If everything checks out, I would certainly consider purchasing the truck if I were you. It probably won't be a "money pit" but there are certainly going to be some random things that give up the ghost when you're dealing with this many miles; probably nothing major though. You are of course assuming a certain amount of risk, but I think it's an acceptable amount for 4K dollars. Good luck.

I think Will has provided some good advise. These engines can easily run 300 to 400 K or more if they are maintained. The trans is a different story but it has already been replaced. It is the little things that will come up and as long as you are willing to accept this, $4K for this truck is a great price. If it is running good, not smoking and has no knocks, I would say go for it for that price.

I think Will has provided some good advise. These engines can easily run 300 to 400 K or more if they are maintained. The trans is a different story but it has already been replaced. It is the little things that will come up and as long as you are willing to accept this, $4K for this truck is a great price. If it is running good, not smoking and has no knocks, I would say go for it for that price.

Yeah, a basic Yukon is like 45k here, I guess the Denali doesn't go under 55-60k.

The viscous coupling in the AWD transfer case is usually only good for 100-150K, Don't know if it can be replaced internally or not, as most I've learnd just get a junkyard one for around $500. It should have been replaced by now and maybe what he's calling the trans? Maybe both were replaced? If not, it's due. It's all just a risk. You could spend 3-4K+/- pretty easily if the engine or another trans, transfercase, rears, go.

If it is really highway mileage and it not beaten on, then you got a fairly good deal. I wouldn't put any money into and probably get rid of it right before the trans need to be replaced again. You could get 25k miles or you could get 100k miles or more before a trans replacement is needed. I'd be a little concerned about a highway mileage vehicle blowing 2 transmissions, so that is a little strange.

Thanks for your opinions. I appreciate them. I'm not sure why trans was replaced twice. He is not a car guy and when he says trans replaced twice he could be refering to another major componant having to do with trans/4x4, but im not sure. He's told me he"ll give me reciepts from dealer, so i'll have to check them out. I know he didnt beat on it. It's my brother-in-law who lives in rurel area and drives across the state weekly on business. I currently drive a newer sedan and am mainly purchasing Denali as a second car to pull a medium/small trailer occasionaly and for snow days.

The other way to look at a $4K purchase;

Is the interior looking in "great" shape?

Is the exterior paint looking in "great" shape?

In other words, does it look like a very nice 5-6 year old vehicle with only 75-90K miles?

Crate replacement engines are around $3K, trans ~ $2K

Any other 2002 Yukon Denali with average miles would be running you $8K-10K.

So if you're up to it, run the $4K Yukon till it breaks. In the interim, put a monthly payment aside in your savings acount for either future repairs or towards another vehicle in the future.

ANY nice 02 Denali for 4K is a deal.

Like anything in life there will be some possible downsides involved with purchasing a vehicle with high miles. Every moving part has a ton of use. Engine might be a 300K unit but every bearing, pump, compressor, diaphragm, switch, sending unit, sensor, computer has all of those miles on it too. At 4K, you have quite a bit of repair cost headroom. So what if you spend another 4K in the next few years keeping it alive? You still spent about one quarter of what anything decent costs new! If you get lucky and nothing major croaks, then you got one of those rare home runs in life.

I'd probably jump in. If it's nice... Go for it.

Looks like I'll be getting the Denali in a few days, as soon as he picks up his 08'. He was nice enough to get a new serp. belt, oil change and air filter for me and dropped price to $3850. I can't pass up a Denali for that price! I just got his service record with dealer and it appears he had the regular maintennce done with only mojor issues being 2 transmissions, and a transfer case about 35k miles ago. I test drove it yesterday and it drives very good, smooth and seems to shift great. Has lots of power.

Look out for front differential bearing noise. From what i've read & dealt with the AWD and Full time 4X4 trucks and Suvs

have had trouble with this. Also the Autoride / Air shock system will likely need service if it has not already.

My father has an 01 Denali with abt 175,000 on the clock. Engine runs perfect and always has . The rest of the drivetrain is a different story.

$ 4k for that truck is a hell of a good deal provided the interior / exterior is in good shape. In my opinion, the nice thing about high milage vehicles is the fact that

all of the common problems such as steering shaft / wheel bearings / above should have been repaired.

Look out for front differential bearing noise. From what i've read & dealt with the AWD and Full time 4X4 trucks and Suvs

have had trouble with this. Also the Autoride / Air shock system will likely need service if it has not already.

My father has an 01 Denali with abt 175,000 on the clock. Engine runs perfect and always has . The rest of the drivetrain is a different story.

$ 4k for that truck is a hell of a good deal provided the interior / exterior is in good shape. In my opinion, the nice thing about high milage vehicles is the fact that

all of the common problems such as steering shaft / wheel bearings / above should have been repaired.

As I look through the service record I see that the air shock system was repaired/replaced as you said. Also bearings and u-joints were repalced 12k miles ago.

Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase a high mileage 2002 Yukon Denali at what I believe is a good price ($4,000). But it has very high miles 225k. The current owner is a relative and he has had it since new. Almost all miles are highway miles and it is dealer maitained. Trans has been repalced twice but other then that , no other trouble in the past. It runs good. Dealer told him they would give him 4k on a trade so his price is firm. Can I expect this engine to blow soon? Can it last another 100k mile without rebuild? I would really like to buy it but I don't want a money pit. Looking for opinions.

I have 247K on a 2002 Tahoe with no major problems.....

Archived