Nbs Gmc (08) - Steering Rack Fluid Leak Anyone?

OK, so I read on people's oil leaks and stuff on these new trucks, and just had one of my rear doors adjusted so it closed tighter. I have to go back to get the center dash bezel around the radio replaced (warped) and I crawled underneath to check for any oil leaks at 1200 miles so I could point them out next time in.

I saw a drip of fluid from the steering rack itself, looked like it was coming from the bolt that faces the front of the truck, that butts up against the subframe...the one that looks like you woulnd't be able to get a driver to if you needed to loosen it, at least not without some serious disassembly.

Anyone else notice a pattern of PS fluid leaks in the NBSs or had theirs looked at for the same thing?

JP

I had a fluid leak on the passenger side of the steering rack on my 08 Sierra. Ended up having to replace the whole rack and pinion about 3 weeks ago. Truck has just under 9000 miles on it.

On a side note, avoid the service department at Jerry's out in Weatherford if at all possible. I have not been impressed with them at all. Have had my truck in the dealership twice (almost a week total) and they have still failed to fix the problem with my parking lights not working even though I told them exactly what the problem is. Going back in Monday to finally get it fixed. Won't be going back to them after that.

Interesting it was on your build sheet...hmmmm...I cleaned mine off to see if the drip comes back, but I'm sure it will. Third time in, YAY! :P

Do you know where I can find a copy of this TSB? (the whole thing, not the title info) It's not on the wiki page...

Kansas...I've talked to Jerry's for sales before, don't like 'em...I use James Wood in Denton. So far so good...

JP

Interesting it was on your build sheet...hmmmm...I cleaned mine off to see if the drip comes back, but I'm sure it will. Third time in, YAY! :cool:

Do you know where I can find a copy of this TSB? (the whole thing, not the title info) It's not on the wiki page...

Kansas...I've talked to Jerry's for sales before, don't like 'em...I use James Wood in Denton. So far so good...

JP

I have had two leaks. steering rack on the driver side ( they replaced it) and the Oil cooler block off plate was leaking oil. Took 3 times to find it and I am the one that found it while the truck was on the lift changing the steering rack out. But after they changed the gasket and rack no more leaks!

Service Information

Document ID: 2079333

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#07-02-32-002D: EI07082 - Power Steering Fluid Leaking from Power Steering Gear/Rack Assembly (Engineering Information) - (Mar 12, 2008)

Subject: EI07082 -- Power Steering Fluid Leaking from Power Steering Gear/Rack Assembly (Engineering Information)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2008 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2008 GMC Denali, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

1500 Series Only

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS, otherwise disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in the published service information. **THIS IS NOT A RECALL**

Refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering Information Bulletins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 Chevrolet Impala, part information and engineering contact information for the Impala. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-02-32-002C (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a fluid leak. Upon investigation, the technician may find fluid leaking from the power steering system.

What Action to Take

Important: All potential leaks should be completely cleaned and identified before attempting to repair or replace any power steering components.

Start diagnosis by inspecting the fluid level in the Power Steering Reservoir. If the fluid level is NOT low, a careful analysis of the condition is necessary as it may involve a different type of fluid leak.

Visually inspect the components where the fluid has accumulated.

Completely clean off any fluid residue from the suspect components.

Apply tracing powder to the suspect components. This is an effective way to determine the source of a leak. As an alternative, fluorescent dye (such as Kent Moore J 28431-6) may be added to the power steering fluid.

Start the vehicle and allow the power steering system to reach normal operating temperatures.

Turn the steering wheel to the stops in each direction while bumping the steering wheel against the stops 3-4 times. This will build maximum steering system pressure and help identify the source of the leak if present.

Determine the source of the leak.

If a repeatable leak is found, use the following tables to determine if the condition is repaired and what corrective action is needed.

Repairable Leaks

Source of Leak

Correction

Pressure feed and return hoses/lines

Replace seals, hose, or line set

Power steering pump

Reseal or replace pump if necessary

Cylinder gear/rack lines

Replace O-ring seals or rack lines

Non- Repairable Leaks

Source of Leak

Correction

Porosity leak in the gear/rack housing

Replace steering gear/rack

Leak from tie rod boots

Pinion seal

Repeatable leak at steering gear adjuster plug*

See note below

*If fluid is observed at the adjuster plug during the initial visual inspection, then refer to the following:

• Seepage at the adjuster plug may not necessarily indicate an active leak. Power steering fluid is used during the manufacturing of the gear/rack. The fluid used at assembly is pushed into the pinion area during assembly. The adjuster plug and the area below the pinion are not positively sealed. Fluid trapped in this area during assembly may seep from the adjuster plug. The rack should not be replaced for this condition.

• You can distinguish seepage from an active leak by removing the left tie rod boot clamp and inspecting for the presence of fluid at the inner tie rod.

• If no fluid is found in the left tie rod boot, replace the boot clamp and clean the seepage from the rack. No further action is needed.

• If fluid is found in the left tie rod boot, replace the gear assembly.

Engineer Contact Information

Contact the appropriate engineer for additional information or guidance before repairing the vehicle. This call may result in a personal visit to your dealership or a special request to return parts that exhibit unique conditions. In either case, you should receive a response back within 2 hours on what action to take the same business day of your call (Eastern Daylight Time).

If you do not receive a response from engineering, then proceed to repair the vehicle. Use normal diagnostics and claim the repair work under the appropriate warranty labor operation.

GM Engineering is working to determine the root cause of the above conditions. GM Engineering has a need to obtain information during diagnosis and BEFORE repair. As a result, this information will be used by engineering to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

Parts Information

Fullsize Truck and SUV: Part Number

Description

Pipe Kit, Steering Gear

Pipe Kit, Steering Gear

Clamp, Crimp

(Boot to Rack)

Clamp, Spring

(Boot to Tie Rod)

Seal, Power Steering Gear Inlet and Outlet Hose

Seal, Steering Gear Cylinder Pipe

(O-ring)

Impala: Part Number

Description

Pipe Kit, Steering Gear (Short)

Pipe Kit, Steering Gear (Long)

Boot Kit, Steering Gear

Warranty Information

Important: DO NOT use the labor operation listed below if engineering did not respond.

For vehicles repaired under engineering direction, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E9451*

Engineering Information-Power Steering Leak

0.6 hr

Add

Repair per Engineer Direction

Use Actual Repair Order Clock Time

*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gentlemen,

Laugh if you want but I have "fixed" 2 honda, one Ford and one Chevy rack leak with STP. Not their ps fluid but their engine treatment.

I am not a believer in "mechanic in a can" products but this works.

I have gone from unacceptable leaks to zero to 1 drop per week after this treatment. Try it, it is cheap and will not hurt anything.

Ken

Seems like my truck has had it as well.

POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK AT GEAR/RACK, REF-TSB 07-02-32-002C ??

08/14/2007

Add it to the list for the next dealer visit.

The bulletin is ONLY if your truck is leaking,It is just an "Engineering Information" bulletin for the technician. It is NOT a recall.

Rich, looking below, does this mean my truck was serviced for PS leak or not? Or is it a list or those TSB issued while the truck was on the lot?

VIN : 3GTEK13Y07G553101

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Merchandising Model : TK10543 -2007 SIERRA 1500 4WD CREW CAB SLT Warranty Start Date : 11/19/2007

BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK

Delivering Dealer : LESTER GLENN BUICK-PONTIAC-GMC

230 RTE 37 E

TOMS RIVER , NJ 08753-5589

(732) 349-4200

Selling Source : 48 - GMC TRUCK

Site Code : 12184

Business Associate Code : 118026

Service Contract :

No

Branded Title :

No

Warranty Block :

No

PDI Status :

Paid

REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns

SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS

Type

Number

Description

Posted Date

Status

EI

POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK AT GEAR/RACK, REF-TSB 07-02-32-002C ??

08/14/2007

See Bulletin

EI

RADIO SPEAKER BUZZ NOISE - TSB. 07-08-44-013 ??

07/31/2007

See Bulletin

EI

TIRE VIBRATION - REF. TSB 07-03-10-013A ??

11/06/2007

See Bulletin

EI

INNER DOOR PANEL RATTLE NOISE / LOOSE - REF. TSB 07-08-110-010. ??

12/13/2007

See Bulletin

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION

OnStar Equipped Yes OnStar Status Active Refer to Help page for details or:go to OnStar Online Enrollment (located on the "OnStar" tab in GM InfoNET) or (888)ONSTAR1 (888) 667-8271.

XM Equipped Yes XM Radio ID 6Y8VV045 XM Status Active Refer to Help page for details or: www.xmradio.gm.ca or Dealer Hotline 1.877.GET.XMST (1-877-438-9677).

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES

Description

Effective Date

Effective Odometer

End Date

End Odometer

36/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER LIMITED WARRANTY

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2010

36000 miles

72/100000 SHEET METAL COVERAGE RUST THROUGH LIMITED WARRANTY

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2013

100000 miles

96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2015

80000 miles

60/100000 POWERTRAIN COVERAGE LIMITED WARRANTY

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2012

100000 miles

36/50000 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2010

50000 miles

84/70000 CALIFORNIA SELECT COMPONENT

11/19/2007

0 miles

11/19/2014

70000 miles

CLAIM HISTORY

R.O Date

R.O Number

Type

Labor Operation

Odometer Reading

07/06/2007

I

Z6999 - PDI RELATED FLUID ADDS 4 miles

06/15/2007

A53101

I

Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

? 1998-2005 General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

No,Your truck was not serviced for a PS leak.

The only thing done to your truck so far was the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) when it was new.

The "SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS" are listed to help a technician diagnose a common problem that a customer might be having.

In other words if you walked into your dealer and told the service writer that you've been hearing a buzzing noise from the speakers he would input your VIN into the GM-Dealerworld VIS ("GM Vehicle Inquiry System") and he would see that there is a service informational item on it and it provides him with a TSB to maybe help him properly fix your truck.

Some of these,like the steering gear leak,are for engineering purposes,If you read the TSB again you'll read that for some leak issues GM wants us dealers to call them so they might send an engineer out to inspect the truck and steering gear so that they may find the "root cause" of the leak,this helps them to properly diagnose and fix the leak and implement the fix at the plant so it does not continue or happen in the future.

Again,these ARE NOT recalls,nor do they indicate that your truck will have the issue/issues listed.

Hey Rich...do you have a parts diagram of our steering rack? I'm interested in which plug is the "adjuster plug" that the bulletin says may be leaking from assembly fluid and is not actually a leak...if this is the plug where mine is dripping, then it may be nothing after all.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Archived