How Hard Is It To Change Intake Gasket On 03 5.3l

danmc00

Question

I have been told that my intake gasket is leaking. I wanted to try this fix myself, but I also wanted to know what I am getting myself in to. Is it very involved? I was quoted $300 from a local mechanic to change it.

I priced the gasket at $35.99 at O'reilly Auto Parts.

Does anyone have any pointers for this?

The truck is a 2003 Chevrolet Z71 5.3L w/120,000 miles

0 answers to this question

You'll find there are two camps regarding the gasket - one camp will use nothing but the latest GM gasket, and the other camp will use anything but a GM replacement.

Wasn't that somthing to do with how the gasket compressed?

I don't have first hand experience to speak from. I do believe, however, in those who have said that the gasket has to be installed right or you are going to have problems, regardless of what brand is used. Paying attention to torque settings and torque patterns is likely to be very critical.

Still no takers for the IMG I've listed on eBay. While I'm not giving it away, the minimum bid on it is less than you can buy it for from any of the on-line places I checked.

I have been told that my intake gasket is leaking. I wanted to try this fix myself, but I also wanted to know what I am getting myself in to. Is it very involved? I was quoted $300 from a local mechanic to change it.

Are you mechanically inclined? :D

Easy job. I'd use the new updated gasket from GM though.

Here is the process.

Intake.pdf

Intake.pdf

Intake.pdf

Intake.pdf

You'll find there are two camps regarding the gasket - one camp will use nothing but the latest GM gasket, and the other camp will use anything but a GM replacement.

Wasn't that somthing to do with how the gasket compressed?

I don't have any links to them handy, but if you search a bit you'll find this is a common problem discussed several times before. General concensus is that it is a pretty straightforward job - especially since no coolant is passing through the IMG on the newer engines. Most have indicated it is a job you can get done easily in a day. Note that I have a posting in the for sale section that includes a new teal-green GM gasket. I was going to replace the gasket in my 04 Z71 but I downsized it before I got around to it.

Archived