Transmission Fluid Change

How many quarts of transmission fluid does it take for dropping the pan and changing the filter on a 2005 Yukon XL, 1500 4x4 ?

Also what is a good filter to get for this, and any tips for this. I have done it several times in other vehicles including my 1988 Suburban, but his will be first time for the Yukon at a little over 20K miles.

Thanks in advance

No offense but your manual provides this information. It's 5 quarts on an '02 so I assume it's similar for your '05. I personally think it's overkill to change it at 20k but I would stick with the OEM Delco filter or Wix. Also use the Dexon VI full synthetic (any brand since there is only one licensed manufacturer.) I had a noticeable improvement in shift smoothness when I used the full syn at my scheduled drain interval.

Here is what I have listed, more than likely you have the 4L60E which is 5qts.

CAPACITIES

Engine, with filter..........6.0 quarts[1]

Cooling System, Initial Fill..........17.0 quarts

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Cooling System, W/ Rear Heat Initial Fill..........19.0 quarts

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Automatic Transmission, 4L80E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, 4L85E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, 4L60E Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed 4L60E..........11.0 quarts

4 speed 4L80E..........14.0 quarts

Dexron VI is the way to go. You can use it in older vehicles with no problems. As for a filter Car Quest supplies quality filters. Wix manufactures them for the Car Quest brand.

No offense but your manual provides this information. It's 5 quarts on an '02 so I assume it's similar for your '05. I personally think it's overkill to change it at 20k but I would stick with the OEM Delco filter or Wix. Also use the Dexon VI full synthetic (any brand since there is only one licensed manufacturer.) I had a noticeable improvement in shift smoothness when I used the full syn at my scheduled drain interval.

Sorry, but the fill capacity for just a change of the filter and the fluid in the pan is not in the manual.

I think you are correct that the total capacity is in the manual. But that is not what I needed to know.

Archived