Truck Cap Wiring - 2008 Silverado 1500

Could anyone tell me where to tap into the CHMSL circuit when wiring for the third brake light on a truck cap?

This truck has the Z82 trailering option and the integrated brake control.

Just ahead of the rear wheel well on the passanger side of the truck there is an extra wiring for 5 wheel/truck camper. I tied the brake and the cap light in there, all wires are labled for there function, very easy to do there. some people tie in to the tail light, i didnt like that idea.

Could anyone tell me where to tap into the CHMSL circuit when wiring for the third brake light on a truck cap?

Just ahead of the rear wheel well on the passanger side of the truck there is an extra wiring for 5 wheel/truck camper. I tied the brake and the cap light in there, all wires are labled for there function, very easy to do there. some people tie in to the tail light, i didnt like that idea.

That's a good bit of advice. If the connection is there I'd use it.

A lot of people still connect to the tail lamp wiring. No real harm as long as the connection is sound. Since the CHMSL is usually an LED unit these days, you could also tap into the trailer wiring harness if your truck doesn't have the other hookups. LEDs use so little current you wouldn't have to worry about the circuit handling the extra load. It doesn't even need any additional fusing.

That's a good bit of advice. If the connection is there I'd use it.

A lot of people still connect to the tail lamp wiring. No real harm as long as the connection is sound. Since the CHMSL is usually an LED unit these days, you could also tap into the trailer wiring harness if your truck doesn't have the other hookups. LEDs use so little current you wouldn't have to worry about the circuit handling the extra load. It doesn't even need any additional fusing.

There is no wiring for a camper.

The tail lamp seems like a good idea except that the 2008 has the stop and turning functions combined in the same lamps.

Any ideas?

If you want to run the wire all the way into the cab, there is a CHMSL wire there. If you are sitting in the driver's seat it will be in front of your left knee under the dash. It will be taped up with the brake controller wiring. It will have a label on it as well.

I had the truck cap place install mine. They have this tiny little block, that the wires plug into. It has a sensor or resistor in it, so if only one brake light is lite(turn signal), it dosen't blink. If both brake lights are lite (brakes), it lights up as well.

• 2 months later...

I was reading through the posts on truck caps because I am trying to wire one up now and found this thread ... question is ... does anyone have a part number or link to where I can get the connector that matches up with the connector Tuscon talked about that has the weatherpak on it?

Thanks .... Sneye

I was reading through the posts on truck caps because I am trying to wire one up now and found this thread ... question is ... does anyone have a part number or link to where I can get the connector that matches up with the connector Tuscon talked about that has the weatherpak on it?

Thanks .... Sneye

I don't have a part number but I picked mine up at the boat dealer where I bought my boat. I believe it was made by Atwood.

In addition to the A.R.E. delivery and factory problems, my cap installer/dealer tapped into the driver rear tail light. And again, problems arose. He somehow couldn't get it to work. Checked and rechecked. Finally got it to work. Damn, did he cut/splice a bunch of wires! And as I found out later, made one wire too short which let moisture into the top tail light bulb - which then blew from corrosion. Had that bulb replaced free at GMC dealer.

And then there was the 'dead' battery problem. Something else was wired incorrectly. I went to GMC again and Mr. Goodwrench fixed that for $20.00. I think it was the inside utility light in the A.R.E. cap. I have no dead battery anymore but the inside cap light does not work. I can live with that. But the bottom line is that something was done incorrectly.

And this A.R.E. dealer has been in same business for over 25 years. So putting caps on should not have been something new for difficult for him.

Thanks I am going to check the local stealer I guess in hopes of finding that connector, if they will even sell it to me ... ugh.

Yea ... sounds like he just wired the light up to the 12v that is always on in the trailer wiring. That is what a Leer dealer told me me that they normally did. But, I don't trust myself and could see me leaving it on all the time ... I think I am going to try to wire the cargo light up to the wiring for the stock cargo light (since you can't see it anymore anyway) that way it can be turned on and off from the cab.

Guest Riggs

you can run the cap brake light wire.....

if you run it through the tail light, down alongside the frame, into a rubber grommet right underneath the drivers door, pull the interior peices (door sill, and the one by the hood release) out so you can tuck the wire in there and there is a small ORANGE wire in there that is the CHMSL.....

Archived