Front Wheel Hub Stuck....

need to change the front pass wheel bearing/hub in my 99 NBS 2wd. I have the 3 bolts out, rotor off and not matter what i do the wheel hub will not slide out. I have used heat, air hammer, slide hammer,chisels...hammers...bigger hammers...etc and the hub will not slide out??

Any other ideas on this, i've been messing with this since last friday. i live in IL so i'm sure the salt/etc has it nice and stuck in there, but come one any other ideas?

wow. you covered all the bases I'd use.

tried soaking the thing in penetrating oil or something similar overnight and then hitting it with a torch?

I guess one more (albeit rather dangerous) idea would be to bolt the wheel & brakes back up and set the truck back on its wheels and put it in and out of gear a few times or a little bit or motion with the weight of the truck on the system might break it free - but it might trash the front shaft if it hits hard, or suddenly snaps free.

i have thought about doing that and just letting the tire get some of the pressure from the truck yet still have it on a jack...but not sure what MIGHT happen if it does break loose and what doing that might break as well..

My buddy and I are going through the same exact thing with his truck (but his is a 4wd) rite now... tried everything youve tried... he is about to put it back together and bring it to a shop... as for the shotgun... how about a .45? I dont have a shotgun...

Well shux if we didnt just get it... here's what we did... one person prying on it from the front (laying on their back holding onto a recovery hook pressing up with their feet onto a pry bar), on person beating on the back lower corner of the triangle with a 5 # sledge via a solid piece of steel, and me on a slide hammer. both of the hammer blows where syncronized and it came off in like 10 blows... It worked better than one might imagine... but it did take three stong people... one of whom had to be small enough to do the front part... I think i may go pee on it to show it whos really the boss...

• 2 weeks later...

OK... So last friday I did another one... the drivers side on my tahoe, and I did it on my own. Here is what I did...

Jack up the truck

Remove tire

Remove break caliper wire the caliper to the stablizer bar.

Remove the rotor and put it aside.

remove the three bolts that hold the hub on (you need a breaker bar for this)

hammer a stud out of the hub

take another screw (couldnt tell you the size) and fish it through where the stud was into the hole where the bolt that held the hub on. Make sure not to go into the piece the hub attaches too.

Take a spreader fork like you use to do ball joints and wedge it between the hub and the bolt that you just put through the stud hole

take a second floor jack and jack up on the spreader fork ( this should be happening from the front side of the truck)

take a hand held sledge hammer and beat on the corner of the wheel hub that you can see in the same direction that the fork is pushing. Be careful to not damage the thing that your hub bolts too. if you do make sure you clean up the mating surface for the hub.

once you get some rotational motion on it take a slide hammer (i borrowed mine from advanced auto parts) and slide hammer it off.

Using this system it only took me around 2hrs to remove it

I did both ball joints and a wheel hub in 6 hrs including cleanup. No torches... I wish i had taken pics so i could do a real writeup. I'll see if i can find some one else in NH that needs a wheel hub done...

• 1 year later...

The the complete knuckle off and press it off. but I'd try heat first...(not a propane torch, but real torch heat)

Air chisels have always been magic for me....I just replaced my wheel hub on my 2006 with 30,000 miles came right of with a tap of the hammer fortunately.

need to change the front pass wheel bearing/hub in my 99 NBS 2wd. I have the 3 bolts out, rotor off and not matter what i do the wheel hub will not slide out. I have used heat, air hammer, slide hammer,chisels...hammers...bigger hammers...etc and the hub will not slide out??

Any other ideas on this, i've been messing with this since last friday. i live in IL so i'm sure the salt/etc has it nice and stuck in there, but come one any other ideas?

I have had to use the cutting torch on a couple before....... Burn the bearing (to the point that the inner part and the balls fall out of the bearing DO NOT CUT THE BEARING COMPLETELY) out then the air chisel will do great at removing the rest of the bearing.

The ones I have had to do that on came from the north according to the car fax I ran on them after doing this to them.

But my stuff is from the south pull the 3 or 4 bolts and it falls out....

Jbo

Archived