Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

I'm waiting for someone to confirm his work. I cant afford to "try" it.

I just got word from my local dealer who says can't order the VCIM, he went through a bunch of hoops over a 3 day period, finally got routed to OnStar for the part and was told the only way he can order it is if he sends them an exchange from the same year truck (i.e. an '09). If anyone has found out anything different to order one of these I would like to order it now. Please help.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got word from my local dealer who says can't order the VCIM, he went through a bunch of hoops over a 3 day period, finally got routed to OnStar for the part and was told the only way he can order it is if he sends them an exchange from the same year truck (i.e. an '09). If anyone has found out anything different to order one of these I would like to order it now. Please help.

1. Go here: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

2. Enter the part numbers listed earlier in the thread:

• vcim # 20783877

• antenna # 15938939

• steering wheel switch # 25851951

3. Checkout.

That should do it. :jester:

• vcim # 20783877

• antenna # 15938939

3. Checkout.

That should do it. :(

That was easy!!!!! Thanks, hopefully it won't get kicked back. The dealer 'says' he ordered it through GMC direct and they canceled the order, then went through the hoops to get shut down by OnStar. Anyway, thank you again, I can't believe how simple it was and much cheaper too.

• vcim # 20783877

• antenna # 15938939

3. Checkout.

That should do it. :(

That was easy!!!!! Thanks, hopefully it won't get kicked back. The dealer 'says' he ordered it through GMC direct and they canceled the order, then went through the hoops to get shut down by OnStar. Anyway, thank you again, I can't believe how simple it was and much cheaper too.

No problem! Just make sure to come back and let us know it works!!! :P

I have and 09 LT. Does my truck already have the right vcim? Do I just have to add the ant. & have it programed also is the steering wheel switch the same just the pictures are different? The DIC and wheel controls worked out great with the existing wiring and the info I got from the site so far. Do you have to continue the on star service to continue the bluetooth use? Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks,

JTS

I have and 09 LT. Does my truck already have the right vcim? Do I just have to add the ant. & have it programed also is the steering wheel switch the same just the pictures are different? The DIC and wheel controls worked out great with the existing wiring and the info I got from the site so far. Do you have to continue the on star service to continue the bluetooth use? Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks,

JTS

you will need a new vcim if you dont have bluetooth, there are 2 part numbers for the vcim for 09 one w/ bluetooth and one w/o bluetooth. the switch is the exact same except for pictures of the phone. you do not need onstar service for your bluetooth to work. also remember the 2 options your truck must have in order for bluetooth is onstar and steering wheel controls.

Thanks,

JTS

you will need a new vcim if you dont have bluetooth, there are 2 part numbers for the vcim for 09 one w/ bluetooth and one w/o bluetooth. the switch is the exact same except for pictures of the phone. you do not need onstar service for your bluetooth to work. also remember the 2 options your truck must have in order for bluetooth is onstar and steering wheel controls.

07crewsierra,

Have you done this on your own 07? Can you answer some of the questions about some of the guys having problems ordering them? Did you have to supply an 09 VIN? I really want to do this, but I have to know that it really works with no issues.

Thanks,

JTS

07crewsierra,

Have you done this on your own 07? Can you answer some of the questions about some of the guys having problems ordering them? Did you have to supply an 09 VIN? I really want to do this, but I have to know that it really works with no issues.

He already answered that portion...

I added blue tooth from an 09 to my 07. can get you the factory gm parts to add it to your gmt900 trucks. my cost at the dealer ship with the vcim, bluetooth antenna, and new buttons for the steering wheel with phone pictures on them is about $300.00 and it will have to be programmed. then it will work just like factory 09. all you need to have is factory onstar and steering wheel controls.

This is exciting news. I just found out Costartech.com has the unit available to facilitate use of bluetooth with factory on star, but this is a more 'factory' solution. My question: I don't have steering wheel controls, my buttons are on my mirror only, why won't this work with my truck?

Thanks for the info. If any one is thinking about this hurry and order GMpartsdirect price jumped from last night. I have to find the cheapest place on line tom. and order it. This is the last thing on my short list.

JTS

Ouch !!!!

Well with the price increase on gmpartsdirect and the lack of knowledge about streaming audio, I think I might have to focus my efforts on alternative bluetooth setups (ie Blue Fusion). This seems like such a simple mod and yet GM/Onstar are trying to squash it or make it cost prohibitive. I prefer the OEM integration but this is getting too expensive vs my BT headset.

I received the following e-mail from CoStarTech today, the BlueSTAR Kit for the 2007-2008 NBS GMT900's is ain stock and available for $279.00. here's the announcement:

Dear CoSTAR customers,

CoSTAR technologies is proud to announce the release of the GMLAN version of the one-and-only BlueSTAR product.

This product allows you to easily add Bluetooth capability to your onstar equipped vehicle.

Full steering wheel support is included, allowing you to Make, End, and Answer calls right from the steering wheel!

Currently the GMLAN unit supports only 29-bit applications, but we will soon be releasing an 11 bit model for older GMLAN vehicles. Please reference the website for more information.

Thank you all for your interest and patience during this lengthy development process. And as always, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

-Chris

www.costartech.com

Here's a link to Costartech.com

I'll be ordering one this weekend... I also suggested they create a direct replacement kit for the XM Module that would replace XM with HD Radio. He sounded interested in the idea, I just hope that works out!

Edit: Talk about awesome customer service, I sent an email with a bazillions question and got a reply about the time i finished this post! Here's some more info:

Hey Paul,

Let’s see if I can answer all your questions:

1. Yes, BlueSTAR PnP GMLAN complete kit for $279 is all you need.

2. No additional cable required

3. Installation difficulty depends on onstar location. Once you locate the onstar, installation is as easy as unplugging the onstar box, and plugging the BlueSTAR in.

4. It contains pictures, but not for your vehicle. Too many vehicles to show pictures for everyone.

5. Best way to locate onstar module is ask someone who knows. (You thought that’d be me, right?) Best bet is to check the forums.

6. I would love to see some detailed write ups on installations. I have a forum on my website which you could post info as well.

7. No progress on HD kit unfortunately. I’ve been hard at work getting the GMLAN version up.

I think that’s it, but if I missed any, let me know!

Thanks,

-Chris

So I guess the question I need answered now, where is the OnStar module located in a 2007 GMT900 Ext Cab SLT?

Found the vcim at gmpartscheap. with the antenna for 342. including shipping so in a few days I should be on my way. GMPD raised the price now it's more than list plus 70. for shipping. I guess they see the value growing...Should most dealers know what I'm talking about? I'm almost due for my first oil change while it's there I'll have them do the programing

JTS

Well, I just placed an order for the BlueSTAR, shipping is free, so the total was only $279 for the complete kit, nothing esle to buy. I'll do a write up with some pics once I get and install it.

FYI... They also offer a Military Discount of 10% off! I didn't notice this when I ordered and e-mailed Chris today, who very graciously offered to refund the $27.90 to my PayPal account! So, if you're active duty or retired military, the cost is only $251.10 shipped!

Thanks,

JTS

07crewsierra,

Archived