Axn 9.5 Hybrid Axle

Just curious - what is the difference between the AXN 9.5 hybrid axle and the "regular" axle? Is it just the size of the ring and pinion gears?

I assume it's limited slip as well?

You can get it with and without "G80",However some of the option packages include G80 as part of the package.....NHT,& Z82 both include it as part of their package.

Z71 was including it as part of its package,but now it looks like its optional with it again for '09.

Just curious - what is the difference between the AXN 9.5 hybrid axle and the "regular" axle? Is it just the size of the ring and pinion gears?

I assume it's limited slip as well?

You can get it with and without "G80",However some of the option packages include G80 as part of the package.....NHT,& Z82 both include it as part of their package.

Z71 was including it as part of its package,but now it looks like its optional with it again for '09.

Hey thanks everyone. Great info.

Dale - didn't the '08 LTZ include limited slip? Either way, I'll be sure to add posi to my order if it's not included.

• 5 years later...

Yes, it's an old thread, but I just found it so someone else might.

Why is the AXN called hybrid? It's a 14 bolt 9.5 ring that is usually 8 lug. However, when it's a 6 lug, using the same wheel as the 10 bolt, it's called hybrid. The 6 and 8 lug axles are interchangeable if you want to convert.

It is a 12 bolt semi-floater with 1/2 ton axle shafts inside a 14 bolt 3/4 ton housing

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 months later...

An old thread but it needs more info. After a LOT of research on GM rear ends, the NBS AXN is a hybrid because it uses the 14 bolt semi-float 9.5 ring gear diff, but the 10 bolt axles, tubes, bearings and seals. Tubes are swedged to fit. So they are a 6 lug. The NBS 8 lug 14 bolt SF uses the larger axle, tubes, bearings and seals and is not an AXN. The AXN was used on the SS models and I believe on the 1500 crew cabs beginning 2004. Not sure of other apps. I suspect all NBS and NNBS 6 lug 14 bolt 9.5 are AXNs.

Choosing a stronger rear end for my '05 Silverado 1500, the 14 bolt 9.5 SF 6 lug from 88 to 98 can be found in the 67.5 track width (vs NBS 68"). The 4x4 ones usually have corp lockers. Just have to move the spring pads out. Don't believe you can switch an 8 lug axle for a 6 lug easily. The housing is narrower due to wider drums on the 8 lug. Switch the brakes and drums, and the track width is narrower, so the axles have to be shorter. Easier to get a 6 lug set-up and put in the gears you want, and bearings if needed. How's that for the short answer?

Archived