E-85 Refueling Events

Hmmmm, E85 going for $2.99 with Unleaded at $3.69 so it's almost 20% cheaper per gallon...might just give a try this summer-didn't have any problems with it back in 2008 when we ran our Tahoe on it for 3 mos when Unleaded was going for $3.95...

You get 20% less mpg. So-you might want to do the math first to see if it pencils out. But you do get more horsepower from the E-85.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm, E85 going for $2.99 with Unleaded at $3.69 so it's almost 20% cheaper per gallon...might just give a try this summer-didn't have any problems with it back in 2008 when we ran our Tahoe on it for 3 mos when Unleaded was going for $3.95...

You get 20% less mpg. So-you might want to do the math first to see if it pencils out. But you do get more horsepower from the E-85.

If you do the math you will see its less than 20% in most cases

My Tahoe was right at 10% less and my truck is like 15%

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Filled up on E85 today, damn---$2.89 versus $3.69. Give it a shot this summer--I've avgd 16.2 mpg on RUG for the last 2 months in my normal driving/commute so we'll see how she does on moonshine this summer-see if the cost/benefit is worth it.

• 1 month later...

I was going to try the E85 next time I saw it and I'm glad I saw this thread first. It's out of my way so it's not something that I could switch to. After reading this, I'm just going to pass it by. Maybe if a station near me ever starts selling it I'll switch. Thanks for the great info.

• 7 months later...

My truck is a '12 Sierra with a 5.3 and 3.42 rear. I don't live close to an e-85 station but started working 23 miles away. I started out running the fuel here in town, mostly Marathon. My gas mileage has averaged 15 mph since I have had it (bought it new). Now I fill up at the Flying J truck Stop at the exit I use to get to work. I have been running it e-85 all the time and my mileage is still 15 mpg. 90% of the drive is on an Interstate Highway and I drive 70, the posted speed limit or very close to it.

I haven't seen any difference in performance or mileage and it is usually less expensive than the regular stuff.

You know the best way to refuel with E85? Never put that crap in your fuel tank to begin with. You gain so little because it doesn't cost that much less than regular fuel and you lose mileage so you basically don't gain anything. And if there's some stupid procedure to filling up that can easily be screwed up and make your truck run like crap, another reason to never use it. Or even damage your engine or fuel system, well count me out, I'll never touch the stuff. My truck is so old that it was never designed to run it anyway, not sure about my 2004 grand am but I'm never putting it in there anyway.

You gain power and responsiveness. That's fact, period. The procedure is simple and E85 won't damage the fuel system if your vehicle is designed for it.

You gain power and responsiveness. That's fact, period. The procedure is simple and E85 won't damage the fuel system if your vehicle is designed for it.

I'm pretty sure you LOSE POWER and fuel mileage by using E85. Your engine is designed to run best on gasoline. Some CAN run on E85 but its not what's best for the engine and its a compromise in performance to get fuel for a lower cost. No it shouldn't damage the engine but I'll never use it, its just worth it to me to even take the chance. I'm sure there's some fine print somewhere that might void your warranty if you have fuel system or engine problems associated with running too much of it.

I'm pretty sure you LOSE POWER and fuel mileage by using E85. Your engine is designed to run best on gasoline. Some CAN run on E85 but its not what's best for the engine and its a compromise in performance to get fuel for a lower cost. No it shouldn't damage the engine but I'll never use it, its just worth it to me to even take the chance. I'm sure there's some fine print somewhere that might void your warranty if you have fuel system or engine problems associated with running too much of it.

Not even close. Most of the 900-series and new K2s are absolutely fine on E85 and it is absolute fact that they make more power. On my 2011 5.3 it's only like 10-15 hp/lb-ft but the new 5.3 is substantially better. It comes at the cost of efficiency but I don't care.

With the price jumping daily on the cost of regular it has actually been cheaper to run e85 in mine, both per gallon and per mile. E85 jumps maybe a dime, yet regular gas has gone from 3.27 to 3.67 just in the last few days. I almost at one year running e85 almost exclusively. I have filled my tank maybe twice with regular. I am consistantly getting 12mpg in town with e85 where I was getting 13 with regular. If I drive like a good boy I can another 1 mpg out of both fuels but I'm impatient with some of these people. I haven't really seen or felt anything drastically different. Like I've said before, it runs a bit smoother and I have never get the high rpm ping in this lovely Georgia heat like I would with regular gas.

• 11 months later...

Well, one does have to do the math to determine the cost per mile of different fuels. I didn't use E85 this winter because the price spread wasn't that great. But the previous winter, my 2013 lived on E85. I ran all the different fuels for a couple of tanks each to determine average mpg for each fuel. Then I just watch the pump price and determine what the cost per mile would be for each fuel at the current pricing. On E10 I was averaging about 16 mpg in my area. On E85, I averaged 13 mpg. Lets take a look at that and use the pricing mentioned by txdutt a few posts back. 2.89 for E85 vs 3.69. Those are old prices, but work for what we are doing here. At 2.89 for E85 and getting 13 mpg, that equates to a shade over 22 cents a mile. At 3.69 and 16 mpg, that equates to 23 cents a mile. The E85 is cheaper to use. Each vehicle will have different mpg averages for different fuels, I just used what my 2013 got.

Sure, it is painful to see a lower mpg when using E85, but you have to get behind that and actually see what it is costing per mile. I can handle a lower mpg if the actual cost per mile is lower as well. the winter of 2013/2014, E85 was a dollar a gallon lower than E10. It was costing me 18 cents a mile to use E85 and E10 was costing 21 cents a mile. What would you prefer? A nice mpg and a thinner wallet or a a low mpg and a fatter wallet?

Unfortunately, I no longer have a vehicle that can "officially" run e85. However since my post of last year the price of e85 has been right about the same as regular so even if I was still driving my previous truck it wouldn't be cost effective to run e85. Now that I have a 6.0L it's not cost efficient no matter what I burn for fuel...lol

Yeah, in a similar boat. I dumped my 2013 1500 5.3L for a 2015 2500HD 6.0L. Still can use E85 if I wanted, as it is also flex fuel, but the price spread has been so close that it really isn't a good deal. Now, I have been using E15 that has started showing up near me, and it is a pretty good value. I don't really lose any mpg and the cost is 20 cents a gallon lower than regular. Got a 16 mpg average out of it on a recent road trip, which is not bad for a 2500HD 6.0L 4.10 diff setup in the winter.

• 5 months later...

Guess you never have seen the official LC9 5.3L power charts from GM themselves. E85 does improve both HP and Torque. Not some wild levels, but it does improve it. And there is no fine print somewhere about running too much of it.

Archived