Photo
- - - - -

Faulty Fuel Gauge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BOWTIE 3

BOWTIE 3

Enthusiast

• 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:04 AM

My 2001 Silverado [ 55,000 miles ] has a goofy fuel gauge. While sitting at a traffic light the gauge will read empty and the " low fuel ' light will come on. Then when I rock the truck while sitting in my seat the gauge will become accurate again. I've read where this is a problem in sub-freezing weather, but this is almost May and it's in the 80's here. What is this I read about sulfur in the fuel possibly being the cause. Will a can of Sea Foam solve that problem?

#2 jmac

jmac

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

I had a similar problem on my wife’s Yukon. I ended up having to replace the fuel pump to fix the problem with gauge. You could put some fuel system cleaner in the tank hoping that in cleans the contacts. In my case it did not help.

Edited by jmac, 30 April 2008 - 10:29 AM.

2008 SD, AWD, Silver Burch, GMPP intake, AERO 3535l, Access Vanish Cover, Scosche Bluefusion, Rostra backup camera kit, VISC-O-MATIC Tailgate Assist

#3 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Get a couple of bottles of Chevron's Techron, part # 65740 and run it at 1 oz per gallon. You may want to try it for 2 tanks. It contains an additive that will help remove deposits from the sending unit. It will not repair a faulty sending unit but if it is not ready properly due to deposits, it will cure the problem.

Worse case, you will have spent $20.00 but you will have the cleanest fuel injectors, intake valves and combution chambers in town. :lol: Techron is one of the few Fuel System Cleaners that truly does what it claims.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#4 BOWTIE 3

BOWTIE 3

Enthusiast

• 51 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Get a couple of bottles of Chevron's Techron, part # 65740 and run it at 1 oz per gallon. You may want to try it for 2 tanks. It contains an additive that will help remove deposits from the sending unit. It will not repair a faulty sending unit but if it is not ready properly due to deposits, it will cure the problem.

Worse case, you will have spent $20.00 but you will have the cleanest fuel injectors, intake valves and combution chambers in town. :lol: Techron is one of the few Fuel System Cleaners that truly does what it claims.

If you mean part # 67740 [ last 5 digits of bar-code ], Wal-Mart has the 12 oz. bottles for about $6.00 each. It says on the bottle that it helps to get rid of sulfur-causing problems pertaining to the fuel gauge sending unit. I bought 2 bottles to use at my next fill-up.

#5 drummingchevy

drummingchevy

Enthusiast

• 441 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

Is this Techron Fuel Cleaner Concentrate stuff safe for the engine? I've been running it in my current tank at 1 oz per gallon and my truck hasn't been wanting to start up. It starts up the first time I turn the key, but it struggles and really has to work to start. Is that normal?

2011 Silverado 1500 Blue Granite Metallic Z71 4x4

Racho Quicklift Loaded 2.5" Level, Zone 3" Lift Blocks.

#6 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

If you mean part # 67740 [ last 5 digits of bar-code ], Wal-Mart has the 12 oz. bottles for about $6.00 each. It says on the bottle that it helps to get rid of sulfur-causing problems pertaining to the fuel gauge sending unit. I bought 2 bottles to use at my next fill-up.

65740 is a 20 oz bottle. $6.00 on a 12 oz bottle is a good price.

Truemoron, The Techron should not have any negative affect whatsover on your truck. I have been using it for years and we sell a good bit of it with no issues at all.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!