Best All-terrain Tires

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 supertau

supertau

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

If you want the best all/terrain then you need to go with BFG. I have had two sets and the last one had 48,000 miles on them when I sold the truck and still have good tread. I know they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for with these tires. BFG also has an on and off road assistance program. I also have Mickey Thompson MTZ's which are great if you are going to be in a lot of mud.

#47 Ranger

Ranger

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,482 posts
  • Drives:2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

I have about 20,000 miles on my 285s and they still got lots of meat. Have never had a flat or blowout and they have pretty good on-road manners, in fact they handle better than my factory Duelers (which are still wearing quite well too on my boss' F-150).

Only complaint I have is the drop in gas mileage but it's not that extreme...It's what you get with a high rolling resistance tire not to mention since they weigh like 80 lbs apiece.

#48 Ra Lynn

Ra Lynn

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

I've had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. Check the tread depth if you are looking at getting those. I had a 275/65/18 and the tread depth is shallow for some reason from the factory. I talked to the sales guy at Firestone and he said from experience that that size/depth lasts about 25k. I will say that that tire performed fantastic, from snow to ice, mud and everything in between. I rotated every 5k and the tires wore even, just wore to quickly. They also get loud as hell once the tread gets low. Make sure you compare tread depth if you are looking at these tires.
2009 Sierra Crew Cab SLE, 5.3, Z71
Steel Gray Metallic

#49 jbrysilver07

jbrysilver07

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm looking at the revo's now and comparing them against the kumho SAT KL61
http://www.buywheels...re SAT KL61.bwt
Anyone have any opinions on these?
Attached File  L_6030.jpg   32.9KB   28 downloads
James

2007 Silver Silverado 4x4, 5.3, 3.73, K&N dropin, Vette Servo, Flowmaster 40 series, Kicker 350.2, Kenwood XW1200f sub, debadged, blacked-out bowties

#50 crepitus

crepitus

Enthusiast

• 789 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

i just bought a set of nitto terra grapplers they have a nice aggressive tread, was going to get bfg all terrains but the nittos were $300 cheaper.

+1. got the nittos and love them. Please my last 2 sets of BFG AT only lasted 30-35k miles. And the last 5k miles were scary in the rain.
Posted Image

08 Sierra NFL Edition
20" Rims - 5.3L AFM - SLE1 Husky Mudflaps - Extang Tuff Tonno III - AT Grill - Blackbear Tuned - Corsa DB Cat Back

#51 Stevens14

Stevens14

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab 5.3L

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

I wanna see if anyone has had any luck with the Cooper Zeon LTZs... they look like an awesome tire to me...

Posted Image

I'm running them now and LOVE them...

+1
Posted Image

So far I really like this tire. Don't know about longevity yet.. but I'll let you know.

336f9a49-39ea-421d-a456-ae7752cdf8e1_zps

Deep Ruby Metallic
2014 Silverado Z71 Double Cab

#52 Tex-Mex

Tex-Mex

El Vato mas Loco

• 2,092 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T
Posted Image
2006 Sierra 5.3L
Current mods-accessories:Flowmaster 40-series SI-DO/K&N drop-in filter/Rhino Liner/35%Tint

Planned mods-accessories:True duals/Air-Raid MIT Intake Tube/'Vette Servo/Blackbear Tune/Lowering Kit/Bed Cover of some sort/Antenna Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobody can make you feel nferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

#53 blueyedevil911

blueyedevil911

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

^^Those are good tires, the best set I had were Bridgestone Dueller A/T REVO's...awesome in the snow and ice!

I put these on last fall. So far so good. A bit of tire noise at highway speed but that is to be expected.

#54 Rod R

Rod R

Enthusiast

• 778 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I put a set of Destination A/Ts on my 3/4 ton Suburban last fall. Had 2 sets of Firestone Steeltex A/Ts on there before that and would have put another set on but they discontinued them. I was hoping these worked as good and I must say I am very pleased. I put over 7,000 miles on them this winter towing heavy trailers on the highway and in the mountains. The snow and ice traction was great, mud traction was good. They were very quiet on the highway and show no abnormal wear. I suspect they will last at least 35K miles and I would get another set if they do. Don't like the Duelers and the Wranglers and haven' t tried BFG.

To: dbdave

There is a reason the Steeltex were discontinued... because they were all recalled ...
I know only a small percentage of any susceptible tire actually does separate.... but you were lucky to avoid these problems on the two sets that you wore out ... IMO, Destination A/Ts are destined to the same fate as the Steeltex, Wilderness ATs, Dual Steel Radials, 500s, and countless other recall notices.... just my opinion

My vote is for TOYO Open Country A/T for all terrain tires...
Toyo Open Country G02plus .. were very impressive ice radials last winter on my Impala.
Rod Ramage, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CANADA
1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500 xcsb w/ 5.7L Vortec & 4L60E; 3.73 gears w/ G80 (231,000 km)

#55 Markd

Markd

• Senior Moderator
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have about 75k miles on my E-rated 285 BFG T/A's with tread left. I tow WAY over rating, but do mostly highway miles. No problems to report. I gotta respect them. I like the look of the Toyo's and the Coopers, but they are even more expensive than the BFG's.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Footnote

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC Z71 SLT D-Max Stealth Grey Metallic

EX-03 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT Pewter

R.I.P. 2002 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT White

Ex-1999 GMC Sierra 1500 3dr Z71 SL Gray

Posted Image

#56 Ranger

Ranger

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,482 posts
  • Drives:2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

A buddy of mine ran 35" BFG on his F-350 SD/PS 4x4 CCLB and got almost 55k out of it, and he tows a heavy ass trailer loaded with anything from a palette of siding panels all the way up to concrete posts.

#57 Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Moooooooooooo

• 767 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

anything with Goodyear on the side is pretty much crap.

Not any of mine,Goodyear's all I've run for 15 years,I've had Wrangler TD's,RT/S's,and AT/S's,and I've had great luck and excellent wear with all of them :(
I also have Goodyear Assurance ComforTred's on my Saturn...They are a nice,smooth,excellent wearing tire for passenger cars,and they do great in the rain!!
I wouldn't run anything but Goodyear's :sigh:

+1 I've always have good experiences with Goodyear. Especially in the winters here. My dad has used Michellins on a few of his cars and seems to like them. Although I have no clue what they are like on trucks..if they even make a truck tire.

I know Tony Stewart and Dale Jr. don't like goodyear though. :(
Posted Image

My Garage - Silverado
My Garage - Cougar

**2007 Silverado GMT-900 Ext. Cab 6'6 Box LT Z71 4x4 5.3L V8**
Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Muffler ( EXHAUST CLIP ) - GM Smoked Bug Deflector - GM Bedliner - GM Molded Splash Guards - DIC Upgrade - GMPP CAI - WeatherTech FloorLiner Floormats - GM 6" Chromed Oval Side Steps

**1969 Mercury Cougar XR7** - All Original.

#58 CARBON03Z71

CARBON03Z71

Enthusiast

• 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

I had the Michelin LTX AT2's on my previous ride which were way better than the Dueler AT's. I was definitely impressed with how well my 03 Sierra drove in all conditions with the LTX's. If price is no object, then I would recommend a closer look at the AT2's. The AT2's were about $300/tire. Luckily I got them for a discounted price.

My new 09 Silverado is equipped with the Dueler AT's which are a huge improvement over the Dueler AT's used on the previous generation pickup as these tire grip very well on payment.
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28 M6, SLP CAI & Loudmouth 2 Catback, SSRA, BMR Suspension (Panhard Bar, LCA, Torque Arms, Subframe Rails); ET 13.46 sec @ 107 MPH
2009 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 ECSB 4WD, Black - New Daily Driver

#59 ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:13 AM

Me personally, I am getting the Good Year MT/Rs. I am in the military and generally this is what we have on our Humvee's. They seem to be a good universal tire even though they are mud terrain and they seem to have a good wear. Comfortability does not bother me. ANything is better then the old lumber wagons I am used to. :(

#60 Ron505

Ron505

Enthusiast

• 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

I am a firm believer in BFG AT's as well. But, I'm thinking of trying these (Nitto Dune Grappler)....has anyone had any experience with them? For the price, I think I'm gonna try them.

Attached Files

Edited by Ron505, 27 May 2009 - 07:37 AM.

2007 Chevy Z71 GMT900 LT2
5.3, Ext. Cab, Dark Metallic Blue, Blackbear Performance Tune, Stainless Steel Mesh Grille, Tough Country 2" leveling kit with rear add-a-leafs, 18"x9" Pro Comp 1028 polished aluminum wheels, 305/60-18 Dick Cepek FCII Tires, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Airaid MIT with Synthaflo Filter, American Bass 250 watt amp with 12" subwoofer, Infinity Reference Series 6 1/2" door speakers, Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers.......more to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users