Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Adding Amp To Factory Stereo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 stadt11

stadt11

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,562 posts
  • Drives:2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L Crew

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab w/ Bose & Onstar. I'm looking to add an amp (Kicker DX700) to my factory stereo, but cannot find any wiring diagrams that tell me where to tap into. What I'm looking for:

- Stereo Harness Wiring Diagram
- Which wire to tap-in for the Amp Remote Turn-On
- What are the speaker wire colors so I can install my Peripheral Line-Out Converter (LOC)

Should I tap into the wires behind the factory 6-disc stereo, or under the center console (if you suggest center console, how to I take it out)?

Should I tap into the front or rear speaker wires so that when the rear-audio-controlls get turned on that the subs still stay on?

I'm searched all forums, but just cannot find the answer I'm looking for, please, who can assist?

Thanks very much!

#2 Lincoln

Lincoln

Enthusiast

• 492 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

Go to the bottom of the page at the link and find the image with "Q: How do I add a sub..."

http://www.installer....php?carid=2504
08 GMC Sierra Denali - White/Black AWD, 20x9.5 BBS RD-Truck, 305/50/20 Terra Grapplers, 2" RC Level, V1 hardwired w/ remote display, debadged, 20% tint, Line-X Xtra, CMS Side box, wheel house liners, bed rail caps, Lockpick, Rostra Rear Cam, Raytel Televid5000 bluetooth (POS-removed), Clifford 50.5X 2-way alarm/remote start, Blinder M45, Vararam, Frontier-Gear Xtreme Bumper, "Dallas" Blackbear Tune.
99 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 ECSB - White/Graphite, lots of mods
97 Mercedes SL500 - Silver/Ash, weekend toy, 19" AMG replicas
03 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Silver/Charcoal Pano-roof - my dealership demo

#3 stadt11

stadt11

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,562 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Go to the bottom of the page at the link and find the image with "Q: How do I add a sub..."

http://www.installer....php?carid=2504

Thanks for your reply. These instructions are to install a LOC after the factory amp, won't this limit the power of my mono amp (seems as though I'd be installed an amp off of an amp)?

#4 Lincoln

Lincoln

Enthusiast

• 492 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

On some vehicles the LOC won't work if installed before the amp b/c there is not enough voltage on the "low" level from the radio. Low in quotes b/c it's really a speaker level connection that outputs something higher then normal low level signals and less then normal speaker (high) level (on certain vehicles). An LOC is designed for high level signals, so after the amp is exactly where it belongs. If the head unit outputs .5v - 4v then no LOC is necessary, just a conversion from stranded wire to RCAs would be required. I recommend an LOC with gain controls over one without (I'm not sure what your PIE LOC has).
08 GMC Sierra Denali - White/Black AWD, 20x9.5 BBS RD-Truck, 305/50/20 Terra Grapplers, 2" RC Level, V1 hardwired w/ remote display, debadged, 20% tint, Line-X Xtra, CMS Side box, wheel house liners, bed rail caps, Lockpick, Rostra Rear Cam, Raytel Televid5000 bluetooth (POS-removed), Clifford 50.5X 2-way alarm/remote start, Blinder M45, Vararam, Frontier-Gear Xtreme Bumper, "Dallas" Blackbear Tune.
99 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 ECSB - White/Graphite, lots of mods
97 Mercedes SL500 - Silver/Ash, weekend toy, 19" AMG replicas
03 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Silver/Charcoal Pano-roof - my dealership demo

#5 stadt11

stadt11

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,562 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

On some vehicles the LOC won't work if installed before the amp b/c there is not enough voltage on the "low" level from the radio. Low in quotes b/c it's really a speaker level connection that outputs something higher then normal low level signals and less then normal speaker (high) level (on certain vehicles). An LOC is designed for high level signals, so after the amp is exactly where it belongs. If the head unit outputs .5v - 4v then no LOC is necessary, just a conversion from stranded wire to RCAs would be required. I recommend an LOC with gain controls over one without (I'm not sure what your PIE LOC has).

My Peripheral does have gains, I will try to install the LOC after the factory Bose amp. Thanks for your suggestions.

#6 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

My Peripheral does have gains, I will try to install the LOC after the factory Bose amp. Thanks for your suggestions.

A Bose system will have essentially line level between the head and amp. You will need to install the LOC after the Bose amp. That Peripheral should work like a dream because you can match it to the rest of the system using the gains.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .