P0101 Error Code Help

P0101 CODE =MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE THE FIRST THING ID BE TRYIN WOULD BE CLEANING MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE AN OILED FILTER SUCH AS k&N sorry bout caps to lazy to retype lol :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting the same code on my 03 8.1L. I have the K&N drop in filter. I found that I could reset and it would return every so often. Mostly when I would accelerate or tow something. I went ahead and replaced the MAF. Works great now and no light. Power seems better too in upper range of RPMs.

• 2 weeks later...
P0101 CODE =MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE THE FIRST THING ID BE TRYIN WOULD BE CLEANING MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE AN OILED FILTER SUCH AS k&N sorry bout caps to lazy to retype lol :cheers:

I have a K&N air filter. Can you please direct me to the location of the mass air flow sensor?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I see a lot of posts on this topic and many people say "clean the MAF". Just as an FYI, MAF sensors are self cleaning.

When you shut the engine off, the MAF goes thru a "burn-off" cycle where it heats up the filament wire to remove any dirt or build up on it.

This is definitely how it works on my '88 Trans Am and from what I understand, current MAF sensors still work the same way.

P0101 CODE =MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE THE FIRST THING ID BE TRYIN WOULD BE CLEANING MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE AN OILED FILTER SUCH AS k&N sorry bout caps to lazy to retype lol :D

I have a K&N air filter. Can you please direct me to the location of the mass air flow sensor?

Thanks.

The MAf is directly after the airbox inline to the intake. There is a wire harness attached to it so you can't miss it. I had the same problem with my K&N on my '01 6.0L. I cleaned the the sensor with contact cleaner and the code cleared itself.

Same thing here.

Got the K&N with FIPK and got the code while towing 10,000lbs in 90 degree temps.

It reset itself without any cleaning.

I read somewhere else where a GM tech explained that is was the airflow increase beyond set parameters of the MAF and not the oil from the filter that was the cause.

I would like to know the real cause since most think it is the filter oil. Of course, K&N denies there is any problem on their website calling it a myth.

I would like to know the real cause since most think it is the filter oil. Of course, K&N denies there is any problem on their website calling it a myth.

The K&N filter oil shouldn't be passing through the element and building up on the MAF sensor. Not if it's oiled properly. I've used a K&N Series 77 CAI for a while with no trouble till I drove thru a very dusty area one day. Set off the P0101 code. Cleaned the filter and the code cleared.

I'm now running an AEM Dryflow (oil-free) filter and after a few months I'm now getting a P0101 code. Cleaned the filter a week or so ago and the code went away, but today the MIL came back on.

There's just something about CAI kits and the factory MAF.

Quick update:

Pulled the air filter and took a look at the MAF screen. Tiny piece of debris was on it so I wiped it off with my finger. This left a a lcean streak of silver. A closer look showed that there was some soot on the surface of the screen.

I wiped it off with a soft cloth and also used a can of compressed air and blew it through the screen. Put the filter back on and fored up the truck. The MIL went out within seconds and has not come back on.

• 3 months later...

Trust me, go get a new MAF and put it in. Mine was doing the same thing with only 45K on my truck. Have a K&N and was running down the same dead ends. Now all is good and the new one has been in there for almost a year with no more intermittent codes. Have towed several times also.

Could the PO101 error code also be related to the oxygen sensor?

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile. Not sure if I need to replace the K&N filter or replacing the MAF.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived