"groan" From Steering Column When Turning?

Hey guys,

My 2004 Sierra 1500 CCSB exhibits a "groan" or "moan" from the steering column when turning at low (near stopped) speeds. The noise isn't from the power steering system; the pump is quiet, fluid is good, box is good except for normal Chevy slop, and no leaks. I recently performed the intermediate shaft lube & exersise TSB to fix the usual knocking noise when going over bumps. This took care of that issue but had no affect on the moan. The noise actually sounds like it's from the column inside the truck. It can't be heard from outside.

Has anybody seen this before and know what to do? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Yup, had it in all my GM trucks, never worried much about it, just a quirk of the finish trim on the wheel I assumed. You are not alone, but it is nothing to worry about other than being annoyed at it. Turn up the stereo more often.

• 3 months later...
Yup, had it in all my GM trucks, never worried much about it, just a quirk of the finish trim on the wheel I assumed. You are not alone, but it is nothing to worry about other than being annoyed at it. Turn up the stereo more often.

Had the same noise in my 2003. Thought I could lubricat the column somehow but that wasn't it.

I know it sounds like something rubbing in the column but actually it a gear in the steering box going out.

It vibrates up through the column an to the wheel.

I had a dealership replace mine and sure enough it stopped.

I fist thought it was the Ilink or maybe a broken clockspring in the airbag from over turning the column

when fixing the ilink, but it wasn't

It was the steering gear box.

It would have cost over $ 500.00 but the dealership was able to get me the GM good coustomer deal. $50.00

Has this Problem since new, haven't worried about it. Went away for awhile, and slowly has been coming back. Talked to a GM tech about it, he told me it could be a number of problems, but most likely the linkages or the power steering pump. If i were you i wouldn't worry about it until something actually goes out on it

• 2 years later...

Okay here is my contribution - I had that same goose groan rubbing sound and feeling that seemed to come from right behind the steering wheel in my 05 Z71 Crew 5.3L with 165,000km.

Here's what didn't help - greasing the ISS/replacing the column bearing with a green one/taking apart the steering wheeling and shooting white grease into the top bearing area/replacing the power steering fluid... although the last one cured most of the power steering pump squealing it had.

I even ordered a new ISS yesterday as the next step; however, today at noon I had the local Minute Lube guys lube up everything in the front end - immediately afterwards I noticed that the dreaded goose groan moan rubbing was gone. I tried to get it back but can't, I let it sit for hours and tried again when it was cool - still can't get it to do it one little bit! Get out your grease guns fellas!! :)

• Like 1

All 3 of my GMT800's do this. it happens maybe 1 or 2 times every few weeks. kinda scares me but whatever ive been hearing it for so long anyway

haveent tried the WD40 treatment, usually fixes everything

Edited by KMGZ400

I had this on my truck. The dealership replaced the steering box about a year ago now (~ 12,000 miles) and it went away. I just noticed the other day that the whine is coming back.

Would switching to synthetic power steering fluid help?