"groan" From Steering Column When Turning?

I turned my radio off, and if I am turning the wheel real slow, I can hear a noise. I think it is the plastic trim on the wheel or something like that. It does it in certain spots. I don't think it is something to worry about in my truck, but then I haven't heard the noise from yours.

Dealt with this for years on my 05 Sierra. I had several mechanics check out this noise & only ONE found the problem, It was the steering box underneath the truck. The noise you hear is the steering box binding up and the noise travels through the steering column giving the illusion the noise is coming inside the cabin. Trust me...it's the steering box. Replaced mine and noise went away...drives like a brand new truck!

Thanks for the response. Sounds like something to try. I changed my Power Steering fluid to synthetic Amsoil and it did not seem to help. Some grease and WD 40 only helped for a couple of days. I'll mention the Steering Box to my mechanic.

Edited by RockyTop1911

My 06 silverado 1500 has or I should say had a very loud and undiagnosable grown when turning left and worse at low speed around 10-30 kph. It sounded like the steering wheel was rubbing inside the cab.I was about to replace the steering box as diagnosed but decided to try Rislone Power Steering Repair Fluid. I removed the existing fluid from the pump reservoir and installed the Rislone fluid. After 3 days of normal driving, the noise is completely gone and the power steering is smoother than ever. Hope this helps you...........

I may need to give that a try before replacing the steering box. If works, could be a much cheaper solution.

The Rislone product number is 34650 and is called Power Steering Repair Fluid... It took about 3 days or so to make a difference. After a week, the steering was extremely smooth and absolutely no noise or vibration through the steering wheel. The noise and vibration sounded like it was at the top of the steering column inside the truck but when I had a second person move the wheel and I listened under the hood, the noise was originating at the steering box. Only took one bottle after I removed the fluid from the pump reservoir with a fluid syringe. Let me know how it goes.

The Rislone product number is 34650 and is called Power Steering Repair Fluid... It took about 3 days or so to make a difference. After a week, the steering was extremely smooth and absolutely no noise or vibration through the steering wheel. The noise and vibration sounded like it was at the top of the steering column inside the truck but when I had a second person move the wheel and I listened under the hood, the noise was originating at the steering box. Only took one bottle after I removed the fluid from the pump reservoir with a fluid syringe. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks Skyrescue.

All I see now is the Bar's Product. Appears to be the same thing. I believe Bar's and Rislone are the same people now. http://barsleaks.com/product/power-steering-repair/ I'll give this product a try and see if it helps. Looks like Auto Zone carry's it.

Edited by RockyTop1911

All I see now is the Bar's Product. Appears to be the same thing. I believe Bar's and Rislone are the same people now. http://barsleaks.com/product/power-steering-repair/ I'll give this product a try and see if it helps. Looks like Auto Zone carry's it.

Just added the Bar's / Rislone Power Steering Repair. Hopefully in a few days this problem will be gone. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

Just added the Bar's / Rislone Power Steering Repair. Hopefully in a few days this problem will be gone. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well it did appear that this is helping. Maybe it will last for a while but I'll never know. I just traded for a new Sierra 1500 SLE Carbon 22 Package. Just could not stand the under powered V6 in my 2009 Work Truck. I have the new 5.3 Liter V8 EcoTec3. I hope this will do the trick. I know they had many issues with the 2014 trucks. Here's to hoping they have all the bugs worked out in the 2015.

Edited by RockyTop1911

Hello I had the same issue with my 2008 Silverado 4X4 Z71 and it was a part number sticker on the steering shaft inside the boot wearing off down to the adhesive grabbing the rubber in the boot, the fix was to replace the boot and clean the adhesive off the shaft, since repaired over 2 years ago no problems.

Ron

Hello I had the same issue with my 2008 Silverado 4X4 Z71 and it was a part number sticker on the steering shaft inside the boot wearing off down to the adhesive grabbing the rubber in the boot, the fix was to replace the boot and clean the adhesive off the shaft, since repaired over 2 years ago no problems.

Ron

Wow. That's the first I heard of this and sounds very plausable. Glad you found it.

• Like 1

Hello The funny thing about this when I took my 2008 Silverado to the dealer they wanted to change my power steering pump and possibly rack I was really surprised, it did not feel right because like other people said about putting grease in the boot, I did that and like them temp fix, so I knew the dealer diagnosis was a little off like they never had this situation before.

Ron

• Like 1

Hello The funny thing about this when I took my 2008 Silverado to the dealer they wanted to change my power steering pump and possibly rack I was really surprised, it did not feel right because like other people said about putting grease in the boot, I did that and like them temp fix, so I knew the dealer diagnosis was a little off like they never had this situation before.

Ron

Glad you got it fixed without spending a lot of money. This has been a stumper for a lot of GMC\Chevy Truck owners. Thanks for posting.

This happened on my '00...mechanic (who I trust) said the pump was going out...so for what it's worth. It also seemed to happen more often when the wheel was turned to the right, as opposed to the left, not sure of the significance of that.

• 1 month later...