"groan" From Steering Column When Turning?

Try lubing the firewall seal too, that the steering column goes through. There was a TSB for this back in the day....

Yeah.....everyone and his brother has tried this......and guess what it doesnt fix the problem!!!

I cant believe no one has a fix for this......it been going on for years.

My dealer thinks its due to air leaking passed a seal in the rack.....not sure. i know im not going to replace the rack!!!!

Yeah.....everyone and his brother has tried this......and guess what it doesnt fix the problem!!!

I cant believe no one has a fix for this......it been going on for years.

My dealer thinks its due to air leaking passed a seal in the rack.....not sure. i know im not going to replace the rack!!!!

OUCH!!! :nonod:

Well, excuse me for trying to help someone with an annoying problem. I know my 2004 Sierra VHO used to make a noise like this in the winter months of TX. Both times I took it in for service Warranty work, the dealer referenced a TBS & lubed the steering column firewall seal- Noise went away until the following year.....

Actually the trucks have 2 steering related noises,my 2001 Silverado had the groan that you mention and it was pump/box/fluid related...It never leaked a drop so I learned to live with it...it wasn't a bind just a noise when making a turn moreso when you were parking. I drove my friends 2003 Express van and his truck had the same exact groan. Also the trucks had a knocking noise in the steering column shaft,there was a service bulletin fix on it which contained an epoxy for the steering column shaft,I did the fix on my truck and it cured the noise. Unfortunately I no longer have my 2001 Silverado as it was totaled by an a-hole Brooklyn driver I have a 2011 Sierra which is a great truck. Good Luck,hope this helps

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I know I'm a little late to this thread but just wanted to add my 2 cents. I started experiencing the steering groan on my 2009 Sierra. Only have 36000 miles on it. Only makes the noise in slow turns for either direction. Wish there was a known inexpensive fix for this.

FYI:

After year 3 and after warranty expired, I also had to replace the Evap Vent with a $500 Evap Vent Kit after it being replaced after year 2 under warranty. Also had to replace the Alternator for just under $500. Not too happy with this GM product. Was hoping they had gotten their act together by now. May have to try a Tundra next time.

Have you checked/changed your fluid lately? You could be low or the fluid could be getting old. In my truck I think the pump is slowly dying as it get noisier and noisier regardless of fluid level and condition. Just waiting for the day I jump in and....poof....manual steering....

Have you checked/changed your fluid lately? You could be low or the fluid could be getting old. In my truck I think the pump is slowly dying as it get noisier and noisier regardless of fluid level and condition. Just waiting for the day I jump in and....poof....manual steering....

I'm right there with you. And when that day comes there is going to be 10 feet of snow and I won't be able to work on her in the garage. HAHA.

It does not appear to be a Power Steering issue. There is no whine sound like a Power Steering going out would make. I think the thought of it being a dry spring or a bushing may be closer to the problem but nobody knows for sure. I may try replacing the power steering fluid with some synthetic Royal Purple and see how that does.

Some on Amazon say this stuff worked for them in taking the groan sound away. Anyone know anything about this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-20404-Universal-Steering-Protectant/dp/B002MB6QJO

Edited by RockyTop1911
  • Like 1