"groan" From Steering Column When Turning?

Some on Amazon say this stuff worked for them in taking the groan sound away. Anyone know anything about this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-20404-Universal-Steering-Protectant/dp/B002MB6QJO

so anyone try this product yet? I've tried Lucas oil power steering additive ......and the damn groan is still there.

dealer ship said that it could be a seal leaking internally some where in the steering. im not going to give them a blank check.....

GM Customer Care

"Unfortunately, I have exhausted all of my internal resources and am unable to provide you with a resolution. However, I can still set up an appointment with your dealership, communicate with them and explore our options from there. Please let me know if you reconsider. Again, my apologies."

Me- "run it up the chain.......someone knows"

GM Customer Care

I assure you that I have researched and taken all the appropriate actions regarding your concern. The next step would exploring options with the dealership. We rely heavily on our GM dealerships for their technical expertise and as our eyes and ears in the field. Again, I would be happy to contact your dealership on your behalf for further investigation as they are in the best position for further assistance.

me- gm paying the bill?

GM Customer Care

Unfortunately, due to your vehicle's age and mileage, there's a high possibility any repair work would result in customer pay. However, I can't provide a definite answer until a proper diagnosis has been completed by the dealership. Please let me know if you would like to set up an appointment and I'll be glad to further assist.

Best Regards,

me-

"proper diagnosis has been completed by the dealership" as I stated earlier that will need a blank check!

maybe when the streering locks up and kills people.....then GM will address the on going problem!

10yrs down the road......THANKS GM! :thumbs::banghead::idiot:

GM Customer Care

Again, I can reach out to the dealership on your behalf and see what the diagnostic fee would be. This would be the next step for me to assist you currently at this time. Please let me know if this is something of interest.

Sincerely,

biggest waste of time dealing with GM Customer Care service........and the groan is still there! maybe theres a FORD in my future....lol

Edited by chevy1067

GM Customer Care

"Unfortunately, I have exhausted all of my internal resources and am unable to provide you with a resolution. However, I can still set up an appointment with your dealership, communicate with them and explore our options from there. Please let me know if you reconsider. Again, my apologies."

Me- "run it up the chain.......someone knows"

GM Customer Care

I assure you that I have researched and taken all the appropriate actions regarding your concern. The next step would exploring options with the dealership. We rely heavily on our GM dealerships for their technical expertise and as our eyes and ears in the field. Again, I would be happy to contact your dealership on your behalf for further investigation as they are in the best position for further assistance.

me- gm paying the bill?

GM Customer Care

Unfortunately, due to your vehicle's age and mileage, there's a high possibility any repair work would result in customer pay. However, I can't provide a definite answer until a proper diagnosis has been completed by the dealership. Please let me know if you would like to set up an appointment and I'll be glad to further assist.

Best Regards,

me-

"proper diagnosis has been completed by the dealership" as I stated earlier that will need a blank check!

maybe when the streering locks up and kills people.....then GM will address the on going problem!

10yrs down the road......THANKS GM! :thumbs::banghead::idiot:

GM Customer Care

Again, I can reach out to the dealership on your behalf and see what the diagnostic fee would be. This would be the next step for me to assist you currently at this time. Please let me know if this is something of interest.

Sincerely,

biggest waste of time dealing with GM Customer Care service........and the groan is still there! maybe theres a FORD in my future....lol

I hear ya. Government Motors is becoming the Yugo standard. I'll probably look into the Toyota Tundras myself.

• 3 months later...

Well guys, I have taken mine to the mechanic and told him to look into it and see what he can find. Also having him replace the Power Steering Fluid with Amsoil synthetic. I'll let you know what he says and if the problem gets resolved or not.

Seems like that may be the issue. Mine makes the groan in both directions and only in slow turns like my driveway and parking lots.

Something else I noticed is that mine only makes the groan after it's been driven for a few miles. When I first start it up in the morning, the noise is not present when making slow turns. Once I go a few miles down the road and the truck is warmed up, then the noise during turns starts.

Problem fixed!

The groan that I have been trying to get fixed is now gone. I had Amsoil Synthetic Power Steering fluid added first and this did not seem to do much but may have played some factor. My mechanic later used some WD 40 on the Steering Column Knuckle and Firewall Boot as well as adding grease to the CV Boot/Axel area and greased everything in the surronding area where the Boots could possibly rub anywhere else. The first day, things were sounding better. By day 2, the groan was completely gone. I'm pretty sure the grease and WD 40 were the answer but I cannot completely rule out the Amsoil Synthetic. Hopefully this fix will last for a while and I may just add more grease and WD 40 during oil changes. It's nice to make slow turns again without getting so much attention in parking lots.

• Like 1

Problem fixed!

The groan that I have been trying to get fixed is now gone. I had Amsoil Synthetic Power Steering fluid added first and this did not seem to do much but may have played some factor. My mechanic later used some WD 40 on the Steering Column Knuckle and Firewall Boot as well as adding grease to the CV Boot/Axel area and greased everything in the surronding area where the Boots could possibly rub anywhere else. The first day, things were sounding better. By day 2, the groan was completely gone. I'm pretty sure the grease and WD 40 were the answer but I cannot completely rule out the Amsoil Synthetic. Hopefully this fix will last for a while and I may just add more grease and WD 40 during oil changes. It's nice to make slow turns again without getting so much attention in parking lots.

4x4 or 2wd?

• 2 weeks later...

Problem fixed!

Well, Unfortunately the fix did not last long. After a few days the groan came back. Good news is that it does appear that some grease in the correct spots may stop this. Next time I visit my mechanic, I will ask him exactly where he added the WD40 around the steering column and try adding grease there insterad. My guess is that the WD40 wore away. Grease may be better in the area where he appied the WD40 and last longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Dealt with this for years on my 05 Sierra. I had several mechanics check out this noise & only ONE found the problem, It was the steering box underneath the truck. The noise you hear is the steering box binding up and the noise travels through the steering column giving the illusion the noise is coming inside the cabin. Trust me...it's the steering box. Replaced mine and noise went away...drives like a brand new truck!

• Like 1

My 06 silverado 1500 has or I should say had a very loud and undiagnosable grown when turning left and worse at low speed around 10-30 kph. It sounded like the steering wheel was rubbing inside the cab.I was about to replace the steering box as diagnosed but decided to try Rislone Power Steering Repair Fluid. I removed the existing fluid from the pump reservoir and installed the Rislone fluid. After 3 days of normal driving, the noise is completely gone and the power steering is smoother than ever. Hope this helps you...........