4.8l Reviews

Last year we bought a 07 vmax 6.0L sierra for hauling the horse trailer and related activities. Thinking about trading off the jeep for another sierra. Found a used 07 with a 4.8 L and was wanting some feedback on this engine. It will do a little towing (mostly a 4 wheeler trailer, snow mobile, or small boat) anything bigger will be saved for the vmax. What kind of gas mileage would we expect? How reliabile is the engine, any ideas on longevity? Other reviews? It's either going to be a smaller engine used sierra similiar to this or a gmc cayon or toyota tacoma.

My 4.8 has enough power for me. I have the 3.23 rear so highway mileage hovers around 19-20 when I keep it below 70. Around town I get around 16-16.5.

Good engine for what I need and I would buy another, put I wouldn't pull any heavy loads with the 3.23s. I am not sure what gears are in the truck your looking at.

Mike

Had a 4cy 06 Tacoma that got 20 mpg. My 4.8 gets 16-17. If you get a small truck with the I5 or V-6 you wont get much better mileage than a full size. My 4.8 is so smooth and quiet its hard to believe especially since I got the W/T with the vinyl floor. I never tow more than 1500lbs and dont like driving a truck like a sports car so this engine is more than enough. I (almost)never go more than half throttle even when towing. I dont really trust GM products so I didnt want AFM just yet, but will in a few years.

I am very happy with my 4.8

I only tow a drift boat for fly-fishing, it has plenty of power for that. Most of the the time I only carry my downhill skis and my yellow lab in the bed.

I have 4.10 gears. Up here in Montana they are the way to go. If you live in the flatlands 3.73 or even 3.42 will be ok.

I get 19-20 mpg as long as I stay under 65 mph. When I run 75+ it drops down to 16 mpg. My buddy has a 6.0 and he only gets 13 mpg. I see alot of people on this board claim there is not much mpg difference between a 6.0, a 5.3, and a 4.8. I do not believe them. My 4.8 and my buddies 6.0 are proof.

The 4.8 is the absolute best for the way I use my truck. I am very happy with it.

I'd rather go with the 5.3L than the 4.8L because the 5.3 makes more horsepower & more torque. I had a 5.3L and it was a nice engine, it had good power, very reliable. Plus it comes with a stock tow package and get better mpg if not the same as 4.8. It also responds better to mods, but the 4.8 is pretty good engine though.

I have the 4.8 and am very happy with it. Just remember to get at least 3.73's in the back thought (wish I had done that!)

+1

DITTO! 3.73 all the way!

Archived