Photo
- - - - -

Incab Air Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#16 98silvz71

98silvz71

Enthusiast

• 956 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

Your mom has an in cabin air filter
:D

Zack that is one funny avatar.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT CC/SB 4x4

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD

2004 2500HD D/A 4x4 CC/SB - Gone But Not Forgotten
'06 Powerdome Hood and Grille | '06 Trailer Mirrors | Edge Juice/Attitude | Magnaflow 4" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Bilstein HD Shocks | BFG A/T KO 285/75/R16 | BakFlip Tonneau Cover

#17 gm4yrs

gm4yrs

Enthusiast

• 234 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

My 2003 Yukon does not have an in-cabin air filter.

yes it does..........however it's inside the dash and you have to pull the dash apart to get to it. ask my how I know? :D I replaced the two filter elements in my '99 GMC Sierra (NBS) and at the same time bought the the one big filter element for my 2003 Yukon. when I got home I noticed it wasn't the same configuration so I went to the dealer to look at the drawing and ask them. they said you have to pull the dash apart to replace the filter which is absolute bullshit IMO.

our Yukon has gotten some kind of mildew from the moisture on the filter (you can put your hand through the compartment next to the blower motor to actually touch the element) and it makes the AC at times smell a little. The dealer told me what they do is spray a mildew smell remover in with the blower motor on and that's usually how they fix it. otherwise it's expensive as hell for all the labor involved to pull the dash apart and do it.

I had an a/c smell around 2000, dealer sprayed inside of the air box and advised me to turn off the a/c, a few minutes before you turn off the truck. Also there is a delay device, that can be wired to turn on the fan speed, after truck is off, that blows air for a few minutes. You can also spray lysol into the air intake, at the bottom of the windshield, under the black plastic vent with fan speed max, and fresh. Not recirc.

#18 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,932 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

yes it does..........however it's inside the dash and you have to pull the dash apart to get to it. ask my how I know? :troll: I replaced the two filter elements in my '99 GMC Sierra (NBS) and at the same time bought the the one big filter element for my 2003 Yukon. when I got home I noticed it wasn't the same configuration so I went to the dealer to look at the drawing and ask them. they said you have to pull the dash apart to replace the filter which is absolute bullshit IMO.

our Yukon has gotten some kind of mildew from the moisture on the filter (you can put your hand through the compartment next to the blower motor to actually touch the element) and it makes the AC at times smell a little. The dealer told me what they do is spray a mildew smell remover in with the blower motor on and that's usually how they fix it. otherwise it's expensive as hell for all the labor involved to pull the dash apart and do it.

It might have a filter,But its not considered an in-cab or "Cabin Air Filter" (I.E.-Its a "non-serviceable" filter which doesn't require regular changing)
A lot of vehicles have A/C evaporator filters that are non-serviceable.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#19 Jackson

Jackson

Enthusiast

• 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

yes it does..........however it's inside the dash and you have to pull the dash apart to get to it. ask my how I know? :troll: I replaced the two filter elements in my '99 GMC Sierra (NBS) and at the same time bought the the one big filter element for my 2003 Yukon. when I got home I noticed it wasn't the same configuration so I went to the dealer to look at the drawing and ask them. they said you have to pull the dash apart to replace the filter which is absolute bullshit IMO.

I had an a/c smell around 2000, dealer sprayed inside of the air box and advised me to turn off the a/c, a few minutes before you turn off the truck. Also there is a delay device, that can be wired to turn on the fan speed, after truck is off, that blows air for a few minutes. You can also spray lysol into the air intake, at the bottom of the windshield, under the black plastic vent with fan speed max, and fresh. Not recirc.

I got the same info from the dealer on how to fix it. I tried all of that. it really only helped for a little while.
1999 GMC Sierra Z71 (NBS)
2005 Lexus GX470

#20 Jackson

Jackson

Enthusiast

• 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

It might have a filter,But its not considered an in-cab or "Cabin Air Filter" (I.E.-Its a "non-serviceable" filter which doesn't require regular changing)

that's just it. it SHOULD be serviceable because mine is contaminated BIG TIME and I think it's ridiculous that I can change the one in my '99 but not the '03.

O'Reilleys sold me the filter for the '03. I just took it back when I learned that I had to take the dash apart to change it.....

Edited by Jackson, 05 June 2008 - 04:32 PM.

2005 Lexus GX470

#21 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,932 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

that's just it. it SHOULD be serviceable because mine is contaminated BIG TIME and I think it's ridiculous that I can change the one in my '99 but not the '03.

O'Reilleys sold me the filter for the '03. I just took it back when I learned that I had to take the dash apart to change it.....

Oh I agree with you there...Like you said,once they get contaminated you can get a heck of an odor!!
We have the spray "deodorizer" that GM has out,and we use it on quite a few vehicles,It seems to work pretty good and get rid of the odor.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#22 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

You would not be putting the filter in place of the evaporator core in your air-conditioner. they are not the same. On your 99, you have an in-cabin air filter that filters the incoming air and also an evaporator core for the air-conditioner. Some where around 03 they stoped putting the in-cabin filter in the trucks. They still have the evaporstor core and yes they get stopped up and stink. They do this a lot of times in all vechicles.

Now I have seen threads where people added the in-cabin filters to trucks that did not come with them.
A section is cut out where thay originally would go and a cover put over them. the next time I run acress one of these threads I will post it.

This thread does not show reto fit but has good pictures.

http://gmfullsize.co...ad.php?t=108099

Have a good one,

Don

Edited by dlstewart01, 05 June 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#23 svensk

svensk

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

sorry Rich I was just screwin with you. :troll:

Forged LS2, Attitude cam, kooks LTs, 4" CAI, C6 fan,
RPM level 6, custom 2800 stall, magnaflow res, DJ's, KBEEs

Posted Image

#24 Jackson

Jackson

Enthusiast

• 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

You would not be putting the filter in place of the evaporator core in your air-conditioner. they are not the same. On your 99, you have an in-cabin air filter that filters the incoming air and also an evaporator core for the air-conditioner. Some where around 03 they stoped putting the in-cabin filter in the trucks. They still have the evaporstor core and yes they get stopped up and stink. They do this a lot of times in all vechicles.

Now I have seen threads where people added the in-cabin filters to trucks that did not come with them.
A section is cut out where thay originally would go and a cover put over them. the next time I run acress one of these threads I will post it.

This thread does not show reto fit bus has good pictures.

http://gmfullsize.co...ad.php?t=108099

Have a good one,

Don

Don, I apologize but I"m not sure we are talking about the same thing. the filter that I received from O'Reileys and saw on the drawing at the dealer was indeed a filter. maybe the "evaoprator core" you are talking about is the same? anyway the tech agreed that it was indeed a filter than can be changed but they usually do not do it because of the expense to the customer in labor taking the dash apart to replace it. the filter looked a lot like the "cabin filter" elements I replaced in my '99 but it was bigger and of course one element instead of 2.
2005 Lexus GX470

#25 Supertruck

Supertruck

Enthusiast

• 739 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

Don

Please do.

Thanks,
Posted Image
Marko
2005 Sierra 1500Z71 SLT Extended Cab

#26 Tyler_LS1

Tyler_LS1

Enthusiast

• 124 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:24 AM

Do the OBS trucks have them?

I have a 99 K2500 and was wondering if it had the filter

Thanks

Edited by Tyler_LS1, 10 September 2008 - 12:24 AM.

1999 Chevy K2500 454 Vortec 4L80E(OBS) CCSB - True Dual MagnaFlows - 180 tstat - superchips tuner - Headlight Mod - K&N Intake - 20% Tint.

1999 Camaro SS LS1 6-speed bolt-ons

FQuick

Posted Image

#27 chahn48926

chahn48926

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

I have a 1999 GMC Suburban SLT. I have attached a picture of the front heat/air conditioner. I get good heating and cooling on the rear air, but very little of either on the front. Does this vehicle have a cabin air filter? If so where is it and how do I get to it? If not, any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

TIA

Charles HahnAttached File  100_0706.JPG   77.24KB   27 downloads

#28 MountaineerTom

MountaineerTom

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,935 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

Does anybody know of a guide on how to replace these cabin air filters? I remember seeing a good one on here a while back but for some reason I can't find it.

Yes, GM-Trucks.com does have one, In cabin air filter replacement

There are lots of tech stuff in the Tech Wiki

:D

#29 red29

red29

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:40 PM

2003 tahoes do use the cabin filter. i order these through Fram CF10360 and replace once a year. make a difference in cabin odor.

#30 alwcurlz

alwcurlz

Enthusiast

• 762 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Well, I guess that explains why I have such poor air flow from the vents on my 99. I'll have to check it.

- God's Country -

People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer:
Matt 10:28

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" : Benjamin Franklin

"It is better to be hated for telling the truth, than loved for telling a lie."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Silverado LS Z71, 148,000+miles, orig 5.3 V8 with Mobil1 blood, orig 4L60E Transmission, Push-button 4WD, 3.73 G80,
Completely stock making 16-17MPG city streets, 20-21MPG HWY

Posted Image