Windshield Washers Not Working

I've had my truck for 5 months now and yesterday was the first time I tried to use the windshield washers. They didn't work. I checked the obvious.......fluid reservoir and it's full. What else do I need to check? Truck is an 00' 1500 series.

Are you saying the fluid doesn't spray, or the wipers dont wipe? If there's no fluid spray, it's most likey a washer pump. It's located at the forward bottom of the reservoir. A new one was $17 at autozone. You MAY be able to remove and replace it without removing the reservoir. I just replaced my washer pump on my 2000 Silverado. I pulled the battery and tray, and 6 or so fasteners on the wheel well fairing to drop the reservoir out.

I know when i got my truck, i spent a week just twisting the intermittent wiper switch back to the "mist" setting, since I thought that was the washers, and i was confused as to why they wouldn't work. :troll: The washer's actually the tab on the top of the stalk that gets pushed forward.

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not calling you dumb, it's just good to check the simple things first :troll: ).

I know when i got my truck, i spent a week just twisting the intermittent wiper switch back to the "mist" setting, since I thought that was the washers, and i was confused as to why they wouldn't work. :troll: The washer's actually the tab on the top of the stalk that gets pushed forward.

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not calling you dumb, it's just good to check the simple things first :troll: ).

LOL...sorry dude, you made me laugh pretty hard. I gotta ask though (and this is a serious question), what were you driving before that you didn't know it was the tab on the top? It's been like that in GM trucks (and most cars) since at least the 80's.

yes it's the fluid that's not spraying. Also yes I know that the tab on top is what works the washers. So I'm going to be buying a new pump for it.

LOL...sorry dude, you made me laugh pretty hard. I gotta ask though (and this is a serious question), what were you driving before that you didn't know it was the tab on the top? It's been like that in GM trucks (and most cars) since at least the 80's.

While you're at the store, get a foot or two of rubber hose. (approx 1/4" Inner diameter)The supply line that comes off the pump was cracked in several places on my truck, especially where it goes through a flange on the reservoir, you may have to replace a cracked section of line.

Also, get 2 gallons of washer fluid (rain-x orange at wal-mart is my pers favorite). It took almost that much to full the reservoir up.

When you put the new pump in, take the rubber grommet off the pump and put it in the reservoir (make sure it seats properly) and then put the pump in. I lubed it all with WD-40.

thank ya sir. I'll have to call and order one this afternoon. I have a few gallons of the fluid at the house, but thanks for the note on getting extra hose, I wouldn't have thought of that.

While you're at the store, get a foot or two of rubber hose. (approx 1/4" Inner diameter)The supply line that comes off the pump was cracked in several places on my truck, especially where it goes through a flange on the reservoir, you may have to replace a cracked section of line.

Also, get 2 gallons of washer fluid (rain-x orange at wal-mart is my pers favorite). It took almost that much to full the reservoir up.

When you put the new pump in, take the rubber grommet off the pump and put it in the reservoir (make sure it seats properly) and then put the pump in. I lubed it all with WD-40.

My Mom's 2001 Subaru has a button on the end of the stalk on the right side of the wheel, and my Dad's '96 Civic's is on the right stalk too (I think you pull it backwards). Yes, I know I sound like an idiot, but we all have our moments. :lol:

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not calling you dumb, it's just good to check the simple things first :lol: ).

My 1980 Chevy Citation had a button on the end of the wiper 'stick'. Like the tow/haul button, but the other lever. I could be wrong, but I believe my mom's 91 Oldsmobile Wagon was that way too. :troll:

thank ya sir. I'll have to call and order one this afternoon. I have a few gallons of the fluid at the house, but thanks for the note on getting extra hose, I wouldn't have thought of that.

My '99 Silvy had that problem. Mine was simply the hose connection to the wiper assembly. It had cracked and busted off. I'm sure you checked that already, but you never know . . .

My '99 Silvy had that problem. Mine was simply the hose connection to the wiper assembly. It had cracked and busted off. I'm sure you checked that already, but you never know . . .

yeah, I checked the hoses running from the reservoir to the wipers and it all looks fine.

yeah, I checked the hoses running from the reservoir to the wipers and it all looks fine.

You probably already checked to make sure nothing was plugged up, right?

You probably already checked to make sure nothing was plugged up, right?

I checked the ends yes. I however haven't checked any fuses...........I'm assuming that'd be an underhood fuse????

Archived