Photo
- - - - -

Truck Camper For A Crew Cab Truck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 huntervh

huntervh

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

Does anybody have a Full size(Crew cab) and put a truck camper on. Wondering if one will fit in the bed of my truck(pic of truck is below), and if I need to beef up the suspension.

Getting tired of sleeping on the ground in the tent. And since I pull the boat, there is no way to get a camper(unless I buy another truck and teach the wife how to drive :troll: )
Posted Image

#2 daddy

daddy

Senior Enthusiast

• 14,970 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Does anybody have a Full size(Crew cab) and put a truck camper on. Wondering if one will fit in the bed of my truck(pic of truck is below), and if I need to beef up the suspension.

Getting tired of sleeping on the ground in the tent. And since I pull the boat, there is no way to get a camper(unless I buy another truck and teach the wife how to drive :troll: )

You could always go with one of these.

http://www.premiermo...ml?p_catid=1186

Posted Image

#3 2004GMC1500CC

2004GMC1500CC

Enthusiast

• 710 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Don't think you can put a slide-in in the back and still be able to pull the boat, would probable overload it. Most slide-in's would overload it anyways.
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
Escalade Handles
Silverado SS guage cluster
STOLEN Pioneer DEH-P4800MP, PAC SWI-PS, (2) MTX Amps, JL Audio 6.5's in the front door, MTX 10 in a Probox behind the rear seat.
UnderCover Tonneau Cover
Wait4me Performance Tune
Magnaflow #15841 Cat Back Exhaust
Powerslot Plus 14" Front Rotors 29-6890 with Hawk #HB323F.724 Front Brake Pads, Russell 672470 Stainless Steel Brake lines
Summit Sway Control Plus
Cheap Discount Tire Chrome 20's with 275/55/20's.

#4 95Sierra2500

95Sierra2500

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,046 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

If it's a half-ton truck, I wouldn't recommend putting a truck camper in it. Your OEM tires are too light-duty, your suspension isn't adequate, and the brakes wouldn't be adequate for stopping. Adding the boat behind it would be more than the truck was built for. Hell, my dad has a 1-ton dually crew cab that he hauls a 12-foot truck camper in, and the MOST he pulls behind that is a little utility trailer that has a few things for setting up his deer camp (put the deer in it, tree stand, tarps, saws, axe, shovel, extra fuel cans/propane tanks, etc. etc.). He won't pull more behind it because he had to custom-make a tow bar to move the hitch ball back to where the trailer would still attach. A boat would be out of the question, even a little steel/aluminum fishing boat.
1995 Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 - ext. cab, long box, 350, auto, power everything...beater for the winter

1998 Grand Prix GTP - Just a V6, but it'll hang with most V8s..whoops a bunch too with exhaust, intake, and a smaller pulley

1968 Firebird - work in progress, looking for 11's all motor

1999 GMC Jimmy - The wifey's ride

#5 huntervh

huntervh

Enthusiast

• 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Oh well, will just have to sleep on the ground till I get enough money to buy a boat that I can sleep in.

Dad, that tent looks nice, saw one on display at Cabela's last summer, unfortunately the wife would not go for it, to small for her.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Posted Image

#6 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Oh well, will just have to sleep on the ground till I get enough money to buy a boat that I can sleep in.

Dad, that tent looks nice, saw one on display at Cabela's last summer, unfortunately the wife would not go for it, to small for her.

Just a suggestion but why not just add a truck cap, bed rug, and a couple sleeping bags? I'd consider that more comfortable than a tent to be honest.
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#7 alaskaLTZ

alaskaLTZ
  • -7,664 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Drives:2009 2500HD CC 4wd LTZ

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

I feel your pain, I sold my 2500HD in which a carried a SWEET 10' camper w/slide out and pulled the boat. Now I have to do one or the other, pull the boat or pull the travel trailer. I just couldn't take driving that HD every day.

Posted Image

2009 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 6L90

(not quite stock)

#8 Nick The Great

Nick The Great

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,242 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Just a suggestion but why not just add a truck cap, bed rug, and a couple sleeping bags? I'd consider that more comfortable than a tent to be honest.

Yeah, if you're 5 feet tall. :troll:
BLUE TRUCKS RULE!!!!!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1LT, CCSB
5.3L V8 Flex Fuel w/ AFM | 4 x 4 | Blackbear Performance Tune
Spray in Bedliner | Boards to Come | Tonneau to come?

her ride: 2007 Chevrolet Impala LS
3.5L V6 Flex Fuel
Bone stock FTW!

Posted Image

#9 Jackson

Jackson

Enthusiast

• 527 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

yupers. that's what I have.

This was out at Frank S's (Admin) folks house right after I bought the truck a couple of years ago.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
1999 GMC Sierra Z71 (NBS)
2005 Lexus GX470

#10 VMax2007

VMax2007

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

How about one of these?

Posted Image

http://www.outfitter.....ribou 6.5.htm

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#11 08 Sierra Z71

08 Sierra Z71

Enthusiast

• 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Problem solved...........

Posted Image

Edited by 08 Sierra Z71, 06 June 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

#12 DV2000NJ

DV2000NJ

Senior Enthusiast

• 10,033 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

Hey Daddy, that's your new boat, isn't it?

Posted Image
2000 Silverado 4x4
| 2006 LQ4 | 216/224 .561/.568 114 | 44lb. injectors | OBX LTs | Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats | 3" Borla XR1 | Yank TT3000 | FLT Level 5 4L65 | Lowered 2.5/4 |

Click it >>>>13.282 @ 99.96 | 1.828 60'

#13 daddy

daddy

Senior Enthusiast

• 14,970 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image

Hey Daddy, that's your new boat, isn't it?

All Aboard, Bitches! The Ruff Life is headed out again tomorrow morning. See You all Monday!

Posted Image

#14 VMax2007

VMax2007

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

All Aboard, Bitches! The Ruff Life is headed out again tomorrow morning. See You all Monday!

You suck Daddy!!! My boat hasn't even been in the water yet this year since we have been having the absolute WORST spring I have ever seen in my 42 years. And there is still no end to this crap in sight. Storms in the forecast everyday through mid-week next week. :troll:

I should have just left the goddamn thing stored. It's already June and the water temps are still in the 50's.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#15 Texsrt4

Texsrt4

Enthusiast

• 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

i have a truck tent like that. i LOVE the thing. get one of the truck bed mattresses to go with it and its instant hotel room. best investment i did since buying my truck