Lost Ignition Key In A 1999 Tahoe

TheTommy

Question

Hi there

I've lost the Ignition key for my 1999 Tahoe and i've already had 2 different dealers cut a key form the vin/key codes but those keys don't seem to work (they don't work in the doors or in the ignition).

I'm also getting mixed answers from dealers. One dealer said you can just replace the key cylinder (wtihout a key) for about $200 ($50 parts / $150 labour). Another dealer said you have to replace the housing + key cylinder for about $500 ($350 parts / $150 labour). I looked at a sevice manual and it says you need the key to replace the cylinder otherwise you need to replace the housing too.

Seems like I'm getting a lot of mixed messages - can anyone who has been in this situation before let me know what the best way to proceed is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 answers to this question

It sounds like the key code has changed since new. Because you don't have the key, it may be necessary to replace the housing simply because, it may not be possible to get the cylinder out of the housing without damaging the housing.

Actually i'm the original owner of the truck and I know for sure there hasn't been any changes. The local dealship seems to think there was an error entering the key codes at the production level.

In any case - i'm trying to find out why there is a discrepency between dealers. Some want to replace the housing - others say they have a way to get the cylinder out without replcaing the housing. I would like to do this myself and wanted to find out how to remove the cylinder without removing the housing.

Thanks

Assuming the key worked before you lost there is no reason why the FACTORY key code will not work. You probaly got a retard cutting your key or the machine they have needs servicing. Did both dealers cut new keys for you and they both didn't work? If not have another dealer try cutting you a key and try to find a parts guy thats looks like he knows what he is doing sometimes that is half the battle trust me I work at a dealer. As far as the case in order to get the lock cyn out you have to drill a hole in the ignition case in a specific area in order to release the lock cly not everybody knows how to do that. good luck :cheers:

Thanks for the detailed follow-up. Yes I've tried 2 dealers. both cut keys with the same shape but one key had was a little skinnier than the ohter (it had more cut off) but the actual shape was the same. Also - the second guy said he was an expert at key cutting and said both keys were well within GM specifications. He said the most likely reason the factory key code doesn't work is because it wasn't entered properly at the factory.

Regarding drilling a hold n the ignitaion case - is this documented anywhere?

It sounds like the key code has changed since new. Because you don't have the key, it may be necessary to replace the housing simply because, it may not be possible to get the cylinder out of the housing without damaging the housing.

Actually i'm the original owner of the truck and I know for sure there hasn't been any changes. The local dealship seems to think there was an error entering the key codes at the production level.

In any case - i'm trying to find out why there is a discrepency between dealers. Some want to replace the housing - others say they have a way to get the cylinder out without replcaing the housing. I would like to do this myself and wanted to find out how to remove the cylinder without removing the housing.

Thanks

Assuming the key worked before you lost there is no reason why the FACTORY key code will not work. You probaly got a retard cutting your key or the machine they have needs servicing. Did both dealers cut new keys for you and they both didn't work? If not have another dealer try cutting you a key and try to find a parts guy thats looks like he knows what he is doing sometimes that is half the battle trust me I work at a dealer. As far as the case in order to get the lock cyn out you have to drill a hole in the ignition case in a specific area in order to release the lock cly not everybody knows how to do that. good luck :D

Assuming the key worked before you lost there is no reason why the FACTORY key code will not work. You probaly got a retard cutting your key or the machine they have needs servicing. Did both dealers cut new keys for you and they both didn't work? If not have another dealer try cutting you a key and try to find a parts guy thats looks like he knows what he is doing sometimes that is half the battle trust me I work at a dealer. As far as the case in order to get the lock cyn out you have to drill a hole in the ignition case in a specific area in order to release the lock cly not everybody knows how to do that. good luck :cheers:

Thanks for the detailed follow-up. Yes I've tried 2 dealers. both cut keys with the same shape but one key had was a little skinnier than the ohter (it had more cut off) but the actual shape was the same. Also - the second guy said he was an expert at key cutting and said both keys were well within GM specifications. He said the most likely reason the factory key code doesn't work is because it wasn't entered properly at the factory.

Regarding drilling a hold n the ignitaion case - is this documented anywhere?

NO it's a afro rig!

Archived