1500 Vortec Max 6.0l Mpg?

I am looking at an '08 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 with the Max Tow pkg which includes the Vortec Max AFM 6.0L with 4:10 gearing.

There seems to be a huge discrepancy in the MPG numbers given by the dealer (18mpg) for the new 6.0 in a 1500 and people I know that have the 6.0 in 2500's (10mpg). I need both, MPG and tow capacity, not necessarily at the same time though.

So, if you currently have a '07 or '08 1500 with the 6.0L with please reply with the mileage you experience in the real world.

I'm not interested in stories of older 6.0 or 5.3, or the hypermilers... Sorry

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Truck in Sig, VMax but with 3.73 gears. I average between 16.5 and 20 (75-80 vs 60-65mph) with mixed driving and LOTS of stop and go rush hour traffic.

Towing I have seen it down to about 13.

I don't have the max tow pkg with 4.10's, I have 3.73's. but I do have the Vmax 6.0. First of all, this is a different 6.0 engine than the HD's use. It has VVT and AFM and is all-aluminum. The HD's is a cast iron block with neither VVT or AFM. Plus, HD's are MUCH heavier trucks. Therefore, you cannot compare the 2.

I don't drive much freeway and I have a custom tune. I am getting just over 13 MPGs. I did take one fairly short road-trip empty and I got 18 MPG, but that was mostly all country highway at 60-70 MPH. All my other roadtrips were with the boat in tow (12 MPG hwy).

Truck is in my siggy.

Not sure if I have the max trailer package, do have the Vmax 6.0. No custom anything, as far as I know the truck is stock. Does anybody know what the RPO code for 4:10 gears are? There used to be a RPO code reference sheet on this site, but I can not find it.

Here are the average numbers.

125 mile trip, 22 mpg highway doing 60-65 on the interstate(got a lot of bad looks) - edit to add, had a strong wind at my back.

Driving the 60 mile round trip comute in Minneapolis in stop and go traffic 15 mpg.

Pulling 2 place snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds approx 200 miles - 15 mpg

Pulling the boat in the pic below 13 mpg

Truck is in my siggy.

Not sure if I have the max trailer package, do have the Vmax 6.0. No custom anything, as far as I know the truck is stock. Does anybody know what the RPO code for 4:10 gears are? There used to be a RPO code reference sheet on this site, but I can not find it.

Here are the average numbers.

125 mile trip, 22 mpg highway doing 60-65 on the interstate(got a lot of bad looks)

Driving the 60 mile round trip comute in Minneapolis in stop and go traffic 15 mpg.

Pulling 2 place snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds approx 200 miles - 15 mpg

Pulling the boat in the pic below 13 mpg

Here is the easiest way to tell....

Do you have the slotted front bumper like mine? If so, then you have the NHT Max Trailering Pkg with 4.10's. if not, then you have 3.73's. The only reason mine has the slot is because I had mine replaced. Mine came with a non-slotted front bumper.

Do you have the slotted front bumper like mine? If so, then you have the NHT Max Trailering Pkg with 4.10's. if not, then you have 3.73's. The only reason mine has the slot is because I had mine replaced. Mine came with a non-slotted front bumper.

Why did you replace your bumper with the one with a slot in it? What does that do for you and the trucks with NHT?

Why did you replace your bumper with the one with a slot in it? What does that do for you and the trucks with NHT?

A car wash ef'd up my original one and the dealer's body shop ordered the wrong one. I wasn't about to argue. It sends more air through the radiator.

I guess I have the 4:10's then, that is if the slot right above the liscense plate is what you are talking about. Thanks for the imput!

Forgot to mention, all the numbers I posted above came from the DIC, relying on the computer to tell me what kind of MPG I am getting.

Truck3.jpg

I guess I have the 4:10's then, that is if the slot right above the liscense plate is what you are talking about. Thanks for the imput!

Forgot to mention, all the numbers I posted above came from the DIC, relying on the computer to tell me what kind of MPG I am getting.

Truck3.jpg

I think the computer is fairly accurate. I've found it to be about 4 tenths higher than the actual MPG.

Does anybody know what the RPO code for 4:10 gears are? There used to be a RPO code reference sheet on this site, but I can not find it.

GT4 = 3.73

GT5 = 4.10

Archived