Thunking/rattling Sound From Under Dash When Going Over Bumps

I've been noticing lately when hitting bumps in the road a thunking/rattle type sound down by my feet. I think it's coming from the brake pedal, because I can replicate the sound by having the pedal pushed down then sliding my foot off real quick and letting the pedal spring back up....makes the exact same sound/feel.

Anyone ever had their brake pedal loose like this? Maybe time for a brake job...new pads? Or maybe just need to bleed them? The brakes seem fine though and haven't felt any different then they always have.

There's about 82k on it right now. I know it's not the cats or exhaust though, that is a different sound....I can hear the slight vibration/rattle of the heat shield at low rpms when driving slow like in a parking lot. The sound I'm talking about is definetly coming from under the dash at the pedal assembly.

My dad used to have a 1999 Chevy 1ton Dually and it did the same thing. In fact his was bad enough that with the cruise on, if you hit bumps the brake pedal would move enough to activate the taillights and turn cruise off.

I think that there is a spring that pulls the brake pedal back into position and it was stretched out.....

I'll have to take a look up under the dash and see what I can find, unless the spring is at the brake booster or in the engine compartment.

I might just bleed the brakes anyway and see if that helps any. I have one of those vac pumps so 1 man brake bleeding is pretty simple

Archived