Photo
- - - - -

Thunking/rattling Sound From Under Dash When Going Over Bumps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

I've been noticing lately when hitting bumps in the road a thunking/rattle type sound down by my feet. I think it's coming from the brake pedal, because I can replicate the sound by having the pedal pushed down then sliding my foot off real quick and letting the pedal spring back up....makes the exact same sound/feel.

Anyone ever had their brake pedal loose like this? Maybe time for a brake job...new pads? Or maybe just need to bleed them? The brakes seem fine though and haven't felt any different then they always have.
Posted Image

My Stable:
2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3l 3.73's, Predator Tuner, AirLift Air Springs, AirRaid MIT, Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (Daily driver and tow vehicle)
'95 Mustang GT built and blown 600hp
'02 Mustang GT mildly modified
'98 Mercury Mistique

#2 Griffin86

Griffin86

Enthusiast

• 688 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

How many miles do you have on it. I know my mothers 04 yukon would rattle horribly and she had to get the cats replaced.
Posted Image
1999 Gmc Sierra SLE Z-71 SOLD! :D

1991 Gmc Sierra SLX 4x4 303k km bought for $900. The hunting truck!

2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ Vortec Max - 3 in body lift, 4 inch CST suspension lift, 285/65r20 (35s) BFG all terrains, 20x9 MKW M-26, stainless steel grill, chrome bug deflector, chrome mirrors, chrome gas door, stainless steel box rails, Pace Edwards roll up box cover, husky liner floor cover, stainless steel mud flaps, chrome door handles, Chrome 6" oval nerf bars, 3m Paint Protection.

2004 Polaris RMK 800 - selling it for an 09 Yamaha Nytro

#3 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

There's about 82k on it right now. I know it's not the cats or exhaust though, that is a different sound....I can hear the slight vibration/rattle of the heat shield at low rpms when driving slow like in a parking lot. The sound I'm talking about is definetly coming from under the dash at the pedal assembly.

Edited by Starrman, 26 June 2008 - 09:06 AM.

Posted Image

My Stable:
2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3l 3.73's, Predator Tuner, AirLift Air Springs, AirRaid MIT, Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (Daily driver and tow vehicle)
'98 Mercury Mistique

#4 gvbhunt

gvbhunt

Enthusiast

• 410 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

My dad used to have a 1999 Chevy 1ton Dually and it did the same thing. In fact his was bad enough that with the cruise on, if you hit bumps the brake pedal would move enough to activate the taillights and turn cruise off.

I think that there is a spring that pulls the brake pedal back into position and it was stretched out.....
Posted Image
2007 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.0L 4l70e 3.73 gears 5000k HID low beam and driving light upgrade.
Modifications: True Flow PAI, HPTuned (Removed HUGE PE Delay, Added 30 to speed limiter, modified AFM/DOD for better MPG)

#5 Starrman

Starrman

Enthusiast

• 344 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

I'll have to take a look up under the dash and see what I can find, unless the spring is at the brake booster or in the engine compartment.

I might just bleed the brakes anyway and see if that helps any. I have one of those vac pumps so 1 man brake bleeding is pretty simple
Posted Image

My Stable:
'98 Mercury Mistique