Blower Fan Noise

xTooltipElement

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2042037

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIT4485A: Rattle Popping Snapping Type Noise From Center IP Air Deflectors - keywords A/C air blower conditioning deflector duct heater high HVAC instrument panel vent whistle - (Dec 3, 2007)

Subject: Rattle/Popping/Snapping Type Noise From Center IP Air Deflectors

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about a rattle/popping/snapping type noise from the center IP air deflectors when the blower is on. In most cases, the noise is from the left center air deflector. This condition may be due to the air flow door being loose and vibrating. If the thumb wheel, to close off the air flow, is slightly rotated the noise will be eliminated or reduced.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this concern, remove the center air outlet deflectors. With the airflow door in the full open position, to allow air flow, install a piece of black foam tape (obtained locally) along the top and bottom of the deflector housing so it just touches the air flow door. The foam tape should be positioned on the side of the air flow door so it does not obstruct the door from closing. With the foam tape properly installed, the air flow door will slightly contact the foam tape when in the full open position, preventing the door from vibrating.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

Document ID: 2042037 #PIT4485A: Rattle Popping Snapping Type Noise From Center IP Air Deflectors - keywords A/C air blower conditioning deflector duct heater high HVAC instrument panel vent whistle - (Dec 3, 2007)

999999995.gif
Subject:Rattle/Popping/Snapping Type Noise From Center IP Air Deflectors

Models:2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

This PI was superseded to update the areas of concern. Please discard PIT4485.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about a rattle/popping/snapping type noise from the center IP air deflectors when the blower is on. In most cases, the noise is from the left center air deflector. This condition may be due to the air flow door being loose and vibrating. If the thumb wheel, to close off the air flow, is slightly rotated the noise will be eliminated or reduced.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this concern, remove the center air outlet deflectors. With the airflow door in the full open position, to allow air flow, install a piece of black foam tape (obtained locally) along the top and bottom of the deflector housing so it just touches the air flow door. The foam tape should be positioned on the side of the air flow door so it does not obstruct the door from closing. With the foam tape properly installed, the air flow door will slightly contact the foam tape when in the full open position, preventing the door from vibrating.

2008298.gif

2008301.gif

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

I've got this problem on mine, was wondering how indepth the repair is. Does the dash have to come off?

My concern is if this is repaired, what are the chances of more "rattles or squeaks etc." being introduced? I hate to mess with the dash as it seems pretty easy to make things worse.

Do the air vents doors just "pop" out, or does the dash and/or other components undeneath have to be removed?

I've got this problem on mine, was wondering how indepth the repair is. Does the dash have to come off?

My concern is if this is repaired, what are the chances of more "rattles or squeaks etc." being introduced? I hate to mess with the dash as it seems pretty easy to make things worse.

Do the air vents doors just "pop" out, or does the dash and/or other components undeneath have to be removed?

To answer your question, there are other components that must be removed...

2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1833060 Instrument Panel Center Trim Panel Replacement (with RPO SLT)

1673760.gif

Callout

Component Name

Instrument Panel Center Trim Plate

Tip

1. Use a flat-bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim plate to the instrument panel.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connections.

Retainer Clips (Qty: 7)

2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1835000 Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Replacement (With RPO SLT)

1686004.gif

Callout

Component Name

Instrument Panel Center Trim Panel

Refer to Instrument Panel Center Trim Panel Replacement .

Instrument Panel Center Air Deflector - Left

Tip

Release the tabs securing the air deflector to the trim panel.

Instrument Panel Center Air Deflector - Right

Tip

Release the tabs securing the air deflector to the trim panel.

Yeah, that looks pretty involved. Thank lots Cueva and Andy, I think I'll just live with the slight adjustment of the vent control to alleviate this. Seems to me there is to much chance to introduce even more rattles/squeaks that I could be stuck with.

Archived