Rough Idle 6.0?

I have a NBS 07 it idles a little rough . Not really a miss , but a shimmy . I took it to the dealer they did all the updates ECM and TCM , but said the idle is fine. Is this a normal thing for these 6.0 liters. I have a 5.3 liter with 160,000 miles on it and you can't even tell it is running.

Is this just with the NBS 6.0L engines? Or all 6.0L engines? As I have noticed this too with my 2005 6.0L and have been debating taking it in to the dealer to have it checked. Other than the slightly rough idle, the truck runs great.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this just with the NBS 6.0L engines? Or all 6.0L engines? As I have noticed this too with my 2005 6.0L and have been debating taking it in to the dealer to have it checked. Other than the slightly rough idle, the truck runs great.

you may have to take it in and have the updates done to the ecm mine would actually stall out untill I got the updates and now it runs super smooth

• 5 months later...

Just had my 2004 Crew Cab 2500 with the 6.0L at the dealer for the semi-rough idle concern. Tried Fuel System Cleaner for two tanks (Chevron techron concentrate plus) and no change so I decided to have the dealer look at it. They did not find any codes set and the fuel pressure regualtor was fine and the injectors all were within spec and within 1 psi of each other. He did clean the Mass Airflow Sensor but it was not really that dirty. So far the MAF cleaning seems to have helped a little. No other issues so I guess I will just continue to monitor it.

My 07 GMT900 Vmax use to do the same thing. It would idle a little rough and when it was cold (just backed out to the garage) and I pull away from the house it would even surge just a bit. Not bad, but noticeable. When I got my Blackbear tune, Justin noticed it too. He made some adjustments, not sure what, but it does not do it any longer. Idle is smooth and no more surge.

Yet another reason I love my tune. The truck is just more of a pleasure to drive all the way around whether you use full throttle or not.

• 1 month later...

Guys the Silverado/Sierra "Classics" (at least the 2003-2006) should have the throttle body cleaned and scrubbed every 15,000 miles or so. It is a common issue for these to get dirty. It is also a very simple job. Just pull the plastic air tubes and disconnect the baby coolant hose and then remove the small nuts holding it on. Just pull it off and clean it. Try to use actual "Throttle Body Cleaner" and not just "Carb Cleaner" as the TBC is allegedly formulated to not strip any of the teflon coating.

• 2 months later...

My 2009 Suburban 6.0L (no active fuel management) seems to have this same problem. Just got it last Thursday. Going in for service Monday. I fear they won't be able to fix it. My 2001 Tahoe 5.3L had a slight bit of this after it had 50K miles on it. I have been cleaning the throttle body for few years now. That always seemed to help. But the Tahoe never had the surging and was not as severe as this. I traded the Tahoe in for the Suburban.

My 07 GMT900 Vmax use to do the same thing. It would idle a little rough and when it was cold (just backed out to the garage) and I pull away from the house it would even surge just a bit. Not bad, but noticeable. When I got my Blackbear tune, Justin noticed it too. He made some adjustments, not sure what, but it does not do it any longer. Idle is smooth and no more surge.

Yet another reason I love my tune. The truck is just more of a pleasure to drive all the way around whether you use full throttle or not.

That is awesome news! I have my tune scheduled in just over a week, I'm sick of the rough idle and am glad justin will be able to fix it

When you do the throttle body clean the MAS and running tube as well.

Go to Kragen and buy TBC cleaner AND MAS cleaner. They are formulated differently.

I disconnect the MAS and hit it with the MAS cleaner...DO NOT TOUCH or SCRUB those wires in there. Just soak it with the MAS cleaner then set it aside to dry. Hi the connetion points on the MAS unit and wiring harness as well.

Disconnect the running tube from the throttle body. Hit the tube with TBC cleaner (it's cheaper) to get all that crap out of there. Place it to the side and let it dry.

Hit the throttle body with the TB cleaner especially where the plate is pivots. Move it back and forth with your left hand using the throttle cable pulley. Clean it as good as you can. Hit the plat, the linkage and the body. Also hit the pulley as it will most likely have dirt/crud on it as well. Let it dry.

Wait about 15 mins for the TB to dry then put it all back together again.

I do this service when I clean my K&N air filter. You're there, why not just do it all at one time. It takes all of 45 mins to do everything. :thumbs:

Archived