V6 4.3 Mpg?

I have an 07 Classic HDwith the 6.0, and really like it, except for the awful mpg...ugh

I am thinking about buying a short bed 4x2 V6 Silverado as a daily driver....and keep the HD for towing the RV

I owned a 91 GMC v6 years ago and I was ok with it....work truck had no options.

Anyway, I was wondering how the v6 does on fuel....thanks

Dave

I have an 07 Classic HDwith the 6.0, and really like it, except for the awful mpg...ugh

I am thinking about buying a short bed 4x2 V6 Silverado as a daily driver....and keep the HD for towing the RV

I owned a 91 GMC v6 years ago and I was ok with it....work truck had no options.

Anyway, I was wondering how the v6 does on fuel....thanks

Dave

Buddy of mine has an '06 classic WT w the V6 and a manual trannie.

He tells me he gets 19-20mpg mixed city and hwy driving (back and forth to work with maybe 50/50 highway/city) --- more if he hyper-miles it.

He tells me he can get low to mid 20s highway...

Hope this helps...

I have a 2006 work Van with the 4.3 V6.

About 15/16 in stop and go traffic.

About 17/18 on city freeways.

About 18/20 on the highway.

I do not have the lightest foot in the world. :sleep:

My son has a 6.2 GMC... he has tuned it with the Diablo Predator.

He gets 20 at an easy 70 on the highway.

"IF" he don't GET ON IT. :lol:

Punch it a time or three and mileage drops like a rock. :D

"IF" he don't GET ON IT. :sleep:

Punch it a time or three and mileage drops like a rock. :lol:

Exactly right.....

Not sure why, those tunes make your right foot heavier (much heavier) for some reason. Can't explain it. :D

I have a 4.3L in a 4X2 extended cab. It gets 20 to 25 mpg if I really baby it in the summer.......coast and seldom brake, very gentle start, wind up the windows, leave the AC off, put 45 psi in the tires, and empty everything out of the truck.

Once winter hits ......15 mpg is tops even with preheating with an engine heater. I've checked all the rapid warm up items on the engine and they are all functioning properly. Just a tough time of year I guess, once it hits 10 below.

I would rather have the 5.3L, I have this engine in my 2007 Suburban and it gets really good gas mileage way better than my Vortec Max. In a truck it would cool to have it, you get good power and good fuel economy what more could u ask for. I would only get the 4.3L if I really couldn't afford getting the 5.3L.

Dave : I have no personal experience it the V6's. From what I've read & heard, the V6 doesn't get much (if any) better mileage than the 5.3 V8. The V8 doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck down the road. So, if you can keep your foot light, it can get pretty decent mileage (so I've heard).

Not sure why, those tunes make your right foot heavier (much heavier) for some reason. Can't explain it. :lol:

Yeah - The roar of air being sucked through the CAI seems to make it heavier, too... :D No telling how much money that CAI has cost me in gas, while accelerating "briskly!" :jester:

Been having my 4.3L V6 GMC Single Cab Sierra 1500 for about three months now .. Had to opt for the cheapest truck out there because I am a college student trying to get by .. Thouhgt the truck would get a little better gas mileage than it does ... When i first got it, I drove all city miles and got literally about 13 mpg .. Then summer school started and I drove the Highway to get to school so it went up to about 15 mpg .. I just installed the DIC a few weeks ago and it states I am gettin 14.9 mpg avg. fuel economy ... If you have the means the damn 5.3 V8 is right there where I am .. I still cant get over the fact that i am barely getting 15 mpg in a V6 single cab automatic

I used to get 15-16mpg from my S-10 ZR2 ext. cab. for some reason the fullsize trucks with the 4.3 v6 got better gas mileage. all ZR2 owners complain about the gas mileage though. not sure why. maybe the 3.73 gears and the front diff (no fullsizes had 4x4 and a V6 I don't believe).

my 5.3 gets 16-17mpg consistently without me having to baby it. I got 18mpg on a road trip last summer.

Been having my 4.3L V6 GMC Single Cab Sierra 1500 for about three months now .. Had to opt for the cheapest truck out there because I am a college student trying to get by .. Thouhgt the truck would get a little better gas mileage than it does ... When i first got it, I drove all city miles and got literally about 13 mpg .. Then summer school started and I drove the Highway to get to school so it went up to about 15 mpg .. I just installed the DIC a few weeks ago and it states I am gettin 14.9 mpg avg. fuel economy ... If you have the means the damn 5.3 V8 is right there where I am .. I still cant get over the fact that i am barely getting 15 mpg in a V6 single cab automatic

I would think your V6 would get better mileage, when I drive slower my 6.0 get around 13mpg and highway around 65 about 18mpg. My 2007 Suburban get 16mpg around town and 20mpg on the highway but that's going 65mph.

I would think your V6 would get better mileage, when I drive slower my 6.0 get around 13mpg and highway around 65 about 18mpg. My 2007 Suburban get 16mpg around town and 20mpg on the highway but that's going 65mph.

Yeha i figured I would be getting better than 15 mpg with highway and city mixed .. I mean I do kind of have a heavy foot but i'm not on the streets drag racing or anything .. I usually set the cruise at about 70 mph for like a 5 to 10 min highway drive to school, but :banghead:

Archived