Daytime Running Lights 06 Gmc 2500

I have an 06 GMC Alli/DMax, lights worked fine until about 2 wks ago, DRL's do not come on when put in gear, they do flash and come on with the alarm per usual. Headlights work fine and come on/off in light/dark automatically. I understand the DRL's come on/off with the neutral safety switch on the tranny? If this is true where do I start looking at this problem. I am used to turbo 400's and 350's - no idea on this thing.

Jim

I have an 06 GMC Alli/DMax, lights worked fine until about 2 wks ago, DRL's do not come on when put in gear, they do flash and come on with the alarm per usual. Headlights work fine and come on/off in light/dark automatically. I understand the DRL's come on/off with the neutral safety switch on the tranny? If this is true where do I start looking at this problem. I am used to turbo 400's and 350's - no idea on this thing.

Jim

Jim,

Looking at my schematics (02) the PNP switch on the tranny has nothing to do w/ the DRL's. What does is the ambient light sensor, the BCM and a relay in the underhood fuse block. Your system might be a little different so someone that has access to 06 wiring diagrams needs to speak up. Wish I could be of further assistance.

John

Jim

Jim,

Looking at my schematics (02) the PNP switch on the tranny has nothing to do w/ the DRL's. What does is the ambient light sensor, the BCM and a relay in the underhood fuse block. Your system might be a little different so someone that has access to 06 wiring diagrams needs to speak up. Wish I could be of further assistance.

John

Are you sure it's the DRL's flashing when you unlock your vehicle? My turn signals flash on mine, not the DRL's but once again my truck is a few years older.

Jim

Jim,

John

I will try to pull the information tomorrow from GM Global Connect

Jim

Jim,

John

You're a heck of a guy Mike....and on a Saturday too....

Jim

Jim,

John

Thanks Mike

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2046702 #PIT3219C: DRLs Will Not Disable With Headlamp Switch - keywords automatic head lamp - (Dec 26, 2007)

999999995.gif
Subject:DRLs Will Not Disable with Headlamp Switch

Models:2003-2008 All GM Full Size Trucks and Utilities

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3219B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customer may state that the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) or the auto headlamps will not shut off when using the daytime running lamp disable switch (Which is part of the headlamp switch). Vehicles that were built in Canada and have RPO option (Z49) were built with different software that doesn't allow the DRL's or Auto headlamp to be shut off. Canada law prohibits disabling daytime running lamps (DRL's) or auto headlamps.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This is a normal operation of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1653085 Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation

Exterior Lamps

The exterior lighting system consist of the following lamps:

• The headlamps

• The daytime running lamps (DRL)

• The fog lamps

• The park, tail and marker lamps

• The exterior courtesy lamps

• The turn signal/hazard lamps

• The stop lamps

• The backup lamps

• The cargo lamps

• The clearance lamps

• The roof beacon lamp

Headlamps

The headlamps may be turned on in 2 different ways. First, when the driver places the headlamp switch in the HEADLAMP position, for normal operation. Second, with the headlamp switch placed in the AUTO position, for automatic lamp control (ALC). During ALC the headlamps will be in day time running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions, or headlamp operation in low light conditions.

Headlamp ON/OFF control is determined by the body control module (BCM) by a signal on the headlamp switch headlamp on signal circuit when the headlamp switch is in the HEAD position. When the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position, the BCM determines headlamps ON/OFF by the voltage from the ambient light sensor.

If the headlamp switch is left in the ON position, the inadvertent power control feature will turn off the headlamps approximately 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. If the driver places the headlamp switch in the ON position after the ignition switch has been turned OFF, or if the ignition switch is in the ACCY position, the headlamps will remain ON until turned OFF or the battery runs dead.

High Beams

The high beam headlamps receive voltage from the headlamp HI relay located in the underhood fuse block. The body control module (BCM) controls the relay on the headlamp high beam relay control circuit. High beam control is determined by a signal on the headlamp dimmer switch signal circuit from the multifunction switch. When the headlamp dimmer switch signal circuit is grounded, the BCM grounds the headlamp high beam relay control circuit, illuminating the high beam headlamps. The right and left high beam circuits are independent and are fused independently in the underhood fuse block. The right and left headlamps are grounded at G100 and G104.

The high beam indicator is illuminated when the instrument cluster receives a class 2 serial data message from the BCM that the high beams are illuminated.

Low Beams

The low beam headlamps receive voltage from the headlamp LOW relay located in the underhood fuse block. The body control module (BCM) controls the relay on the headlamp low beam relay control circuit. Low beam control is determined by a signal on the headlamp dimmer switch signal circuit from the multifunction switch. When the headlamp dimmer switch signal circuit is open, the BCM grounds the headlamp low beam relay control circuit, illuminating the low beam headlamps. The right and left low beam circuits are independent and are fused independently in the underhood fuse block. The right and left headlamps are grounded at G100 and G104.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The daytime running lamps (DRL) will operate when the ignition switch is in the RUN position, for automatic transmissions (A/T), the gear selector is not in the PARK position, the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position, and for manual transmissions (M/T), the park brake is released. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate. The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal it will either turn on the DRL or the headlamps for auto headlamp operation. Any function or condition that turns on the headlights will cancel the daytime running lamps operation. The DRL can be manually turned OFF by depressing the AHL/DRL switch in the headlamp switch. The AHL/DRL defeat switch sends a ground signal through the DRL switch signal circuit to the BCM. The BCM then turns OFF the DRL and headlamps switch to manual control. When the AHL/DRL are manually turned OFF at the headlamp switch, the AHL/DRL will default to ON with the next ignition cycle. The DRL are separate lamps independent of the headlamps. With the headlight switch in the AUTO position, the DRL will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 8-second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The DRL 10-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the DRL relay switch contacts and relay coil. When the BCM energizes the DRL relay , the DRL receive voltage on the DRL supply voltage circuit. Ground for the DRL is at G100.

Fog Lamps

With both the ignition switch in the RUN position, and the park lamps ON, the fog lights will illuminate when the driver depresses the fog lamp switch. The FOG LPS 15-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the fog lamp relay switch and coil. With the headlamp switch in either the park or headlamp position, and the fog lamp switch is in the ON position, the body control module (BCM) will energize the fog lamp relay control circuit. The BCM receives the park lamp ON signal from the interior park lamps supply voltage signal circuit. The current flow is from the fog lamp relay to both front fog lamps and to ground G100. The state of the fog lamps will remain the same until the fog lamp switch position is changed, or the ignition switch is cycled OFF and ON. Fog lamp operation will be cancelled whenever the park lamps, are turned OFF or the high beam headlights have been selected.

The rear fog lamps are controlled in much the same way, however the front fog lamps must be on in order to turn on the rear fog lamps. The SEO 1 15-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the rear fog lamp relay switch and coil. Both the relay control and current flow are the same as the front fog lamps with the exception of the rear fog lamp ground at G402.

Park, Tail and Marker Lamps

The park, tail and marker lamps, including the license lamps, are turned on when the headlamp switch is placed in the PARK or HEAD position or anytime the headlights are requested. The underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to both the park lamp relay switch contacts and the park lamp coil circuit. The body control module (BCM) provides a ground or control circuit to the park lamp relay coil circuit. When the park lamps are turned on the BCM energizes the park lamp relay. Current flow is from the park lamp relay to the FR PRK 10-amp fuse, RR PRK 10-amp fuse, LR PRK 10-amp fuse, and the TRL PRK 10-amp fuse, and to their respective park and marker lamps. The front park and marker lamps are grounded at G100. The rear park and marker lamps are grounded at G401. The license lamps are grounded at G410. If the headlight switch is left in the ON position, the inadvertent power control feature will turn off the park, tail and marker lamps approximately 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. If the driver places the headlight switch in the ON position after the ignition switch has been turned OFF, or if the ignition switch is in the ACCY position, the park, tail and marker lamps will remain ON until turned OFF or the battery runs dead.

Exterior Courtesy Lamps

The body control module (BCM), driver door module (DDM), and the passenger door module (PDM) communicate through the class 2 serial data system. The DDM and the PDM supply power and ground to the left and right exterior lamps respectively. When the BCM commands illuminated entry, a command is also sent to the DDM/PDM for illumination of the exterior courtesy lamps. If the door locks are activated to the LOCK position, or if the ignition switch is turned to either the ON or RUN position the exterior courtesy lamps will deactivate immediately.

When an outside door handle is lifted or a door is opened, the exterior courtesy lamps illuminate.

Turn Signal/Hazard Lamps

The IGN E 10-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the turn signal/hazard switch assembly. The FLASH 25-amp fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the turn signal/flasher module and ground is supplied at G200. When the turn signal switch is placed in either the LEFT or RIGHT position, a voltage signal is completed from the turn signal switch to the turn sign/flasher module. When the hazard flasher switch is activated, a ground signal is completed from the turn signal/hazard switch to the turn sign/flasher module. The turn sign/flasher module then sends an on-off voltage signal through the LT TRLR, RT TRLR, LT TURN or RT TURN 10-amp fuses in the I/P fuse block to the appropriate turn signal or to all 4 fuses for hazard operation. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicators receive voltage from the LT TURN and RT TURN fuses as well as the driver door module (DDM)/passenger door module (PDM) for the mirror turn signals. The DDM/PDM has no function or control of the mirror turn signals other that a pass through connection for the circuits. The audio chime is also activated when the turn signals are ON. When the hazard switch is pressed, all turn signal lamps will flash including both IPC turn indicators. The front turn signals are grounded at G100. The rear turn signals are grounded at G401. The Mirror turn signals are grounded by the DDM/PDM.

Stop Lamps

The STOP LP 25-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the normally open stop lamp switch. When the driver presses the brake pedal, the switch contacts close and battery positive voltage is supplied to both the STOP 15-amp fuse and the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) 10-amp fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block, and to the turn signal/hazard module. The turn signal/hazard module then supplies voltage to both of the trailer rear turn/stop lamp supply voltage circuits. The voltage from the CHMSL 10-amp fuse is to the CHMSL and the trailer jumper harness. The voltage from the STOP 15-amp fuse is to the stop lamps, throttle actuator control (TAC) module, and the cruise control.

Backup Lamps - Automatic Transmission

The backup lamp request signal is sent from the powertrain control module (PCM) to the body control module (BCM) on the class 2 message system. This signal is based on the park/neutral position (PNP) switch signal. The BCM supplies voltage on the backup lamp supply voltage circuit to the backup lamps and to the automatic day/night mirror. Voltage for the courtesy lamp supply voltage circuit and backup lamp supply voltage circuit is from the TBC B fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block directly through the BCM to these circuits. A short to ground on either of these circuits will open the fuse. The backup lamps are grounded at G401.

For trailer wiring, a separate backup lamp circuit is connected through the underhood fuse block from the TRLR B/U 10-amp fuse to the trailer wiring harness.

Backup Lamps - Allison Transmission

The backup lamp request signal is sent from the transmission control module (TCM) to the body control module (BCM) on the class 2 message system. This signal is based on the reverse pressure switch signal. The BCM supplies voltage on the backup lamp supply voltage circuit to the backup lamps and to the automatic day/night mirror. Voltage for the courtesy lamp supply voltage circuit and backup lamp supply voltage circuit is from the TBC B fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block directly through the BCM to these circuits. A short to ground on either of these circuits will open the fuse. The backup lamps are grounded at G401.

For trailer wiring, a separate backup lamp circuit is connected through the underhood fuse block from the TRLR B/U 10-amp fuse to the trailer wiring harness.

Backup Lamps - Manual Transmission

The B/U LP 20-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the normally open park/neutral position (PNP) switch or backup lamp switch. When driver places the gear selector lever is in the REVERSE position, the switch closes and the voltage is from the switch to the body control module (BCM). The BCM supplies voltage on the backup lamp supply voltage circuit to the backup lamps and to the automatic day/night mirror. Voltage for the courtesy lamp supply voltage circuit and backup lamp supply voltage circuit is from the TBC B fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block directly through the BCM to these circuits. A short to ground on either of these circuits will open the fuse. The backup lamps are grounded at G401.

Cargo Lamps

The inadvertent power supply voltage circuit of the body control module (BCM) provides positive voltage to the cargo lamps. When the cargo lamp switch is pressed, the switch closes, ground is supplied to the cargo lamps, and the lamps illuminate. In the event that the cargo lamps were to remain on for a period of more than 10 minutes after the ignition switch is changed to the OFF position, the BCM will deactivate the inadvertent power supply voltage circuit to prevent a total battery discharge condition. Ground for the cargo lamps is supplied through the cargo lamp switch, from G203.

Clearance Lamps

The clearance lamps, are turned ON when the headlamp switch is placed in the PARK or HEAD position or anytime the headlamps are requested. The underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to both the park lamp relay switch contacts and the park lamp coil circuit. The body control module (BCM) provides a ground or control circuit to the park lamp relay coil circuit. When the park lamps are turned ON, the BCM energizes the park lamp relay. Current flow is from the park lamp relay to the INT PRK 10-amp fuse, and to the clearance and roof lamps. If the headlamp switch is left in the ON position, the inadvertent power control feature will turn OFF the park, tail and clearance lamps approximately 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. If the driver places the headlamp switch in the ON position after the ignition switch has been turned OFF, or if the ignition switch is in the ACCY position, the park, tail and marker lamps will remain ON until turned OFF or the battery runs dead.

Roof Beacon Lamp

The roof beacon lamp will illuminate when the driver depresses the roof beacon lamp switch. The SEO B1 15-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the roof beacon switch. The SEO B2 30-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the roof beacon relay. When the switch is depressed, the roof beacon coil is energized and the roof beacon relay supplies voltage to the roof beacon lights. The roof beacon relay and roof beacon light is grounded at G304 except crewcab, and crewcab is grounded at G305.

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1609565 Lighting Systems Connector End Views

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) - Left

82372.gif

Connector Part Information

• OEM: 15354859
  • Service: See Catalog
  • Description: 2-Way F Lamp Socket BB W-3 (WH)

Terminal Part Information

• Terminal/Tray: 12066638/5
  • Core/Insulation Crimp: 2/5
  • Release Tool/Test Probe: 12180559-1/J-35616-4A (PU)

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) - Left

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

D-BU

DRL Supply Voltage

G

BK

Ground

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) - Right

82372.gif

Connector Part Information

• OEM: 15354859
  • Service: See Catalog
  • Description: 2-Way F Lamp Socket BB W-3 (WH)

Terminal Part Information

• Terminal/Tray: 12066638/5
  • Core/Insulation Crimp: 2/5
  • Release Tool/Test Probe: 12180559-1/J-35616-4A (PU)

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) - Right

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

D-BU

DRL Supply Voltage

G

BK

Ground

DRLs sometimes will not turn on because of this part failing

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 810747 Parking Brake Indicator Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. 606395.gif

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  3. Remove the MID-bussed electrical center from the bracket.
  4. Disconnect the park brake warning lamp switch electrical connector.
    913316.gif

5. Remove the park brake warning lamp switch mounting bolt.
  6. Remove the park brake warning lamp switch.

Installation Procedure

1. 913316.gif

2. Install the park brake warning lamp switch.Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the park brake warning lamp switch mounting bolt.Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 3 N·m (25 lb in).

606395.gif

4. Connect the park brake warning lamp switch electrical connector.
  5. Install the MID-bussed electrical center to the bracket.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .

Or the DRLs can fail because of the relay going bad:

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 775463 Relay Replacement (Within an Electrical Center)

Tools Required

J 43244 Relay Puller Pliers

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the electrical center cover.
  2. Locate the relay. Refer to Electrical Center Identification Views to locate the electrical center where the relay exists.Important:

Always note the orientation of the relay.

Ensure that the electrical center is secure, as not to put added stress on the wires or terminals.

786629.gif

3. Using the J 43244 (1) position the tool on opposing corners of the relay (2).Notice: Use J43244 to pull the relay straight out from the electrical center terminals. The use of pliers or a flat bladed tool could damage the electrical center.

4. Remove the relay (2) from the electrical center.

Installation Procedure

1. 786629.gif

2. Install the relay (2) in the same position as removed.
  3. Install the electrical center cover.

2006 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 777743 Relay Replacement (Attached to Wire Harness)

Removal Procedure

1. 791846.gif

2. Locate the relay. Refer to the Master Electrical Component List to locate the relay in the vehicle.
  3. Remove any fasteners which hold the relay in place.
  4. Remove any connector position assurance (CPA) devices or secondary locks.Important: Use care when removing a relay in a wiring harness when the relay is secured by fasteners or tape.

5. Separate the relay (1) from the wire harness connector (2).

Installation Procedure

1. 791846.gif

2. Connect the relay (1) to the wire harness connector (2).
  3. Install any connector position assurance (CPA) devices or secondary locks.
  4. Install the relay using any fasteners or tape that originally held the relay in place.

Archived