Add Second Battery?

I have a 2008 Suburban. I also have a pop-up camper. We usually camp more in the fall when the nights get cool. Currently I have it set up so that the truck can power the camper lights and furnace thru the light wiring (running off of the truck battery - the camper has to be connected to the truck).

This works great but makes me nervous that a cold night (and lots of furnace operation) will drain the battery and the truck wont start the next morning. So, I have been considering adding a battery to the popup to operate the lights and furnace.

I noticed that the Suburban has a spot for a second battery under the hood. Has anybody added a battery in this location to serve their camper? I thought it might be good to do it this way so that the battery will charge when I drive around during hte day.

1. Is this a good idea?

2. Should I run the batteries together all the time? (ie the second battery is there all the time)

3. Should I make it so that the second battery is soley for the trailer? (ie take it out after camping done for the year?)

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts for me?

Thanks!

If someone can verify that the parts are the same for a 2007 Sierra as they are for your Burb' then I can give you the part numbers and some other information that had been given to me by MS3Dale and M. Cueva. I am looking to do pretty much the same thing and setting it up as if it was from the factory with the dual battery setup.

I would add a deep-cycle battery to the camper. It is set up for this.

Don

this is option 2 if adding it to the truck isnt the way to go. the camper is not really set up for it, I need to add a tray to the tounge and some wiring to hook it up. My concern about this method (and the reason to look into adding it to the truck) is that after multiple nights of camping the battery will be worn down and I wont have any way to charge it. i was hoping that adding it to the truck would allow it to charge while I drove during the day.

is it possilbe to add a deep cell battery under the hood, connect it only to run the trailer, and still be able to charge it while driving? I am thinking no, but dont know...

If you have the HD trailer wiring (7-pin on the bumper) the +12v pin runs up to the fuse box under the hood. If you have an isolated battery setup, when the engine is running it will charge the second battery and disconnect it when the key is off allowing you to only run the 12v off of the aux battery.

Just adding a idea, this is what i have done, I upgraded my trailer battery to a deep cycle marine battery, and installed a small solor pannel on the roof of the trailer. The cost is very little and it takes a lot off the truck. I know its not really what you want but it helps, and you do not need direct sunlight to charge. A lot of RV stores sell this type of set up.

• 5 months later...
If someone can verify that the parts are the same for a 2007 Sierra as they are for your Burb' then I can give you the part numbers and some other information that had been given to me by MS3Dale and M. Cueva. I am looking to do pretty much the same thing and setting it up as if it was from the factory with the dual battery setup.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd love to get the P/Ns for doing this on my '08 Sierra. I want to be able to install an Optima deep-cycle (yellow top) aux battery so I can use my power inverter while the truck is off and not have to worry about it starting afterward.

:lol:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd love to get the P/Ns for doing this on my '08 Sierra. I want to be able to install an Optima deep-cycle (yellow top) aux battery so I can use my power inverter while the truck is off and not have to worry about it starting afterward.

:dunno:

Sent you a PM

• 10 months later...

:rollin:

I have a 2009 Sierra 1500 SLT, Crewcab and want the second battery for same reasons, ACCESSORY power while engine is off.

Yes, local dealer will install (just like factory) and warranty for 12 mo. 12,000 mile but they want $800. to do it!!!

Any one has .pdf plans or schematic for a do-it yourself?

I promise NOT to DUCTtape wire over roof or hood!

Thanks,

rib54

rib54{no-spam-please}@excite.com

• 3 months later...

:cheers:

Sent you a PM

Could I also get those P/Ns for my 08 GMC Sierra? Thanks.

Archived