Specifically what transfer case do I have?

What do I look at on mine, to know exactly what kind I have?

The guy I bought the truck from said the previous owner had swapped the chain driven case for a gear driven one, so how do I know what I have?

Truck is a '77 Chevy Stepside CK-10 with TH-350 if that makes any difference.

If somebody went to the trouble of swapping in a gear driven case, it more then likely is a NP 205.  But I don't know how to physically tell an NP205 from any other New Process transfer case.  ???

There should be a metal tag attached to the transfer case, that might be of some help.  

I think I came across that page when I was looking the other day.  Physically my case looks like this:

anp205.jpg

But Chuck's Page says my speedometer cable should be on the passenger's side of the NP205 and it isn't.  Also, my tail housing isn't quite as long as the one shown in the picture and has the speedometer cable on the driver's side.  So with the exception of the tail length, by transfer case looks exactly like the one in the pic.

here's what my Chevy maintenance manual says;

All transfer cases have a build tag attached to the case.

On the NP205, it is attached to the bolt retaining the PTO cover (driver's side, front)

On the NP231, NP233, and NP241, it is attached to the rear case half.

On the NV241 and NV243, it is attached to the rear case half.

On the Borg Warner 4401/4470, it is attached to an extension housing bolt.

Looking at your pic and the pic in the book, I'd guess yours is an NP205. My pic is not real good, though

the transfer case in your picture has the sliding yoke on the back of the transfer case, I've been told they only used that on one year of the 205, 1980. that would account for the shorter length of the tailshaft, yours probably has a solid yoke with the slider in the driveshaft. as for the speedo drive, would it be possible to rotate the rear bearing retainer 180 degrees to relocate the speedo drive to the left side? the person who swapped the transfer case may have done this to match up with the existing cable from the original transfer case. just a guess. if everything else matches up, it is probably a 205.

Archived