Photo
- - - - -

Gmc Truck Dead Battery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 unit731

unit731

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,555 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

Well, after reading that thread about proprietary GM information, TSB, VIN Numbers, etc. I'm now concerned about stating anything.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Long Bed with Plow Prep Package. (no plow).

Battery went dead 3 times after sitting for a week or more. Two trips to Mr. Goodwrench.

Today was 2nd visit to selling GMC dealer service department. I must state that this GMC dealer is excellent. Always professional and courteous in buying and service.

It appears I can't use the term T something Bulletin. But just let me state that there is a document that describes my issue.

It's quite simple. But since my 'check engine' light came on the dealer did check out my vehicle.

It appears I have my switches and toggles and buttons mixed up. The one on the overhead console(with Snow Plow Prep Package) is for the lights on the snow plow (which I do not have - the plow that is). I mistakenly thought it was for the rear cab bed light. And I mistakenly thought that the A.R.E. cap dealer had screwed things up. He did not.

I had mistakenly left this toggle ON. There is a small light on toggle but hard to see from drivers seat. Leaving this toggle switch on will DRAIN the battery over time.

The "Document" in question states this. Apparently others are just as dumb as myself.

Vehicles equipped with RPO VYU or TRW has this toggle/switch.

Well, all is well here in hill and mountain country - at least with my 2008 GMC Sierra.

Time for a new picture too as the snow is finally gone.

Posted Image
"I lived to tell the story, but did not tell the story to live". Diego Garcia

#2 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,934 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

unit...Boy I feel so bad,I know exactly what TSB your talking about,but never gave it any thought that,that was the reason your battery kept going dead.
I forgot you ordered the "VYU" snow plow prep package on your truck,and that you may have inadvertently left the toggle switch on,it is easy to do so,and it is very hard to see the little LED light.
That switch is "HOT" at all times,even with the key/ignition off.

I did post that TSB on here at one time,You might be able to search for it.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#3 Zembonez

Zembonez

Senior Enthusiast

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

COOL! It's a good thing because it wasn't anything "wrong" that needed fixin'. Glad you got it solved.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#4 Z71xSilverado

Z71xSilverado

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

Does anyone have a picture of what these switches look like? They sound like a neat option to have, and Id like to order a truck next year.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4

LML Duramax - Allison - Z71 - CCSB - Silver Ice/Ebony - 20s - Rear View Cam - H&S Mini Maxx - AFE Pro Dry Intake - Westin Bed Rail Caps - 20 Percent Tint - Ultimate Linings Liner - AFE Maxx Force 4 inch Downpipe Back Exhaust - AVS Vent Visors

#5 sonjaab

sonjaab

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,159 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

Posted Image

Its the center button on the overhead console. It has a little light symbol on it.

Funny tho. thats its powered up from the factory as the GMT-800s 03 and up
you needed to put a fuse in the underhood fuse center in Stud #2 to power it up.

Also to mention the button was on the dash on the 99-07 GMT-800s and you
needed to either take down the headliner or fish around to dig out the beacon
wires.

With the GMT-900s you just remove the overhead light bulb cover and the wires
are tied to the side of the light support post.

For full info. and pics on where and how to find these wires and relay in both the
800 and 900 series:
http://www.letstalks...r...9623&page=2

Edited by sonjaab, 31 July 2008 - 12:22 AM.