Need Some Radar Detector Hardwire Help ..

Ok so here's the skinny .. I have a cobra radar detector, and I bought the official cobra hardwire cable off of cobras website .. The installation instructions they provide seem fairly simple, but I am not knowledgeable with fuse boxes and all that stuff .. So I just went over to a local mobile electronics store that I get some work dont through and they tell me they will charge me 65 bucks to install it!! Seemed a little steep so I figured I'd get on here and I know some of you smart people can help me out .. The Instructions are as followed ...

Installation:

1. Connect the fused wire to a fuse in the fuse box. The fuse for the radio is recommended. To connect the wire to a blade-type fuse, it is recommended to use a fuse tap available from Radio Shack. Part number 270-1204 for standard blade fuses, or part number 270-1218 for mini-blade fuses.
  2. Plug the cable into the radar detector and turn on the detector.
  3. Turn on the ignition.
  4. Touch the other wire to various screws under the dash. When the detector turns on, you have found a ground screw. Attach the wire to this screw.
  5. Carefully run the cable to the detector, avoiding the brake and gas pedals.

This completes installation.

I am attaching a picture of the cord .. Like I said i have a 2008 GMC Sierra WT - and I really dont know anything about fuses and such, but it seemed like an easy install, Thanks for your time.

New123-1.jpg

Please educate yourself about Cobra before depending on one. They are the arm pits of radar detectors when it comes to Ka & LIDAR detection.

A good start:

www.radardetector.net

bought it a few years back .. i dont drag race down the streets or anything .. its only a precautionary measure .. it does what i need it to do .. but thanks for the response

I would use an "add a fuse" instead of a fuse tap. It's more expensive, but it works much better. Here's a link to one, but you should also be able to find it at AutoZone, etc.

http://www.sportys-catalogs.com/acb/showde...801&CATID=6

I agree w/ the above. You can find the Buss version (BP/HHH ATM Fuse Tap) at most auto parts stores. You can also use a test light or a multimeter to find a fuse that gives you power only when the ignition is turned on. The ground should be a no brainer.

http://www.bussmann.com/images/3c2dce34-cf...886ccd13aad.JPG

I appreciate the responses .. i went by my dad's house tonight and asked him for some input and it turned out he knew alot of fuse boxes and all that so we went outside and hooked it up no problems .. thanks for the responses

Archived