Power Steering Went Out

My power steering went out Friday. I was driving in a field and turned the wheel to the left and got on the gas a little bit to sling the rear around. Did it a second time a few miutes later and noticed that the steering got very stiff. I got out and checked under the hood, no leaks, fluid level was good, but no power steering. At low speeds, it's very hard to turn the wheel in either direction. At first I thought the power steering pump went out, but after I searched around a little I found some talk of a pressure swith that goes bad. Could this be my problem? There is no whining or anything. Actually, nothing is different, other that very hard to turn the wheel at low speeds and stiff while at faster speeds.

I had the power steering go out in my '90 Silverado with the symptoms as you describe (the stiffness). For me it was the pump that died. From what I can find, it may also be the power steering pressure switch. Replacing the pressure switch would be an easier and cheaper test to see if that is the problem.

I had something very similar happen once on my '97 Silverado.

No squealing, No leaks, nothing.

When I went to change the pump, I removed the belt and put the pulley puller on and the pulley fell off in my hands.

The shaft had sheared in half just inside the housing. I was lucky the entire pulley didn't fly off while I was driving!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep you need a new pump. Make sure you get the special tools to remove the pulley and install it on the new pump. Do not try to hammer or press on the pulley, you'll push the shaft on the new pump and sheer the vanes off again. The special tool to install screws into the shaft and then pulls the pulley on to the shaft. Make sure you get it all the way down so that your belt is alligned when your done or you will get noise and go through belts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
bump.

Looking for the "How to"?

To Remove:

Remove or disconnect the following:

Upper radiator fan shroud, if necessary

Battery junction block from pump bracket, if necessary

Drive belt

Pulley

Nut and clamp retaining the filler neck to the power steering pump, if equipped

Place a drain pan under the pump

Remove or disconnect the following

Hoses from the pump

Bolts from the rear of the pump

Bolts from the front of the pump

Pump from the vehicle

To Install:

Install or connect the following:

Power steering pump

Bolts to the front and the rear of the pump and tighten the bolts; Torque to: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

Hoses to the pump and tighten the nut; Torque to: 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)

Nut and clamp retaining the filler neck to the power steering pump, if equipped

Install the pulley with 0.5 mm (0.020 in) play

Drive belt

Battery junction block from pump bracket

Upper radiator shroud

Fill and bleed the power steering system

Test drive the vehicle to confirm the repairs

Archived