Help With Homelink System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nuts

Nuts

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hi all, I'm new here... I just purchased my 2007 Avalance about 90 days ago.

I researched the forum and found that my 2007 Avalanche does not have the HomeLink system but has the newer "improved" Lear Car2U system. I followed the instructions on their website and got my Craftman door to work but not the Genie door. Can anyone here tell me the double secret method to get the Genie door to work. I talk to the service department at both the GM dealership and Overhead door, might as well have asked the guy on the next bar stool.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 Grumpy Aero Guy

Grumpy Aero Guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,585 posts
  • Name:Frank B
  • Drives:'07 Sierra

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

I researched the forum and found that my 2007 Avalanche does not have the HomeLink system but has the newer "improved" Lear Car2U system. I followed the instructions on their website and got my Craftman door to work but not the Genie door. Can anyone here tell me the double secret method to get the Genie door to work. I talk to the service department at both the GM dealership and Overhead door, might as well have asked the guy on the next bar stool.

Any help is appreciated.

I have the HomeLink. When I programmed mine, it failed a few times, until I did so with the engine running. Don't know if that is a variable.

If it worked for ONE, I would assume it would have to work for the other. Is the Genie system a much older system than the craftman system?

I do know that, at some point, garage door openers changed their technology so you couldn't troll neighborhoods with your opener and get random doors to open.

For the homelink system, the owner's manual DID list a seperate procedure for OLDER units where you had to set a bunch of jumpers (in the opener control unit) for the appropriate frequency, etc.. Mine opener is newer, but I just recall seeing that passage in the manual.

Hope this helps a little.
Posted Image
Grumpy Aero Guy
'07 Sierra SLE2, GMT900
20" Wheels
GM Performance Parts CAI
Flowmaster 70 Big Block II
Custom Tune by Johan at DiabloSport
5.3l Iron Block V8, AFM, 4WD
Trailering Package, Skid Plate Package
EGR Vent Visors / CW Boltover Grill

#3 Lincoln

Lincoln

Enthusiast

• 492 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

What procedure are you trying to use to program the Genie opener???
08 GMC Sierra Denali - White/Black AWD, 20x9.5 BBS RD-Truck, 305/50/20 Terra Grapplers, 2" RC Level, V1 hardwired w/ remote display, debadged, 20% tint, Line-X Xtra, CMS Side box, wheel house liners, bed rail caps, Lockpick, Rostra Rear Cam, Raytel Televid5000 bluetooth (POS-removed), Clifford 50.5X 2-way alarm/remote start, Blinder M45, Vararam, Frontier-Gear Xtreme Bumper, "Dallas" Blackbear Tune.
99 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 ECSB - White/Graphite, lots of mods
97 Mercedes SL500 - Silver/Ash, weekend toy, 19" AMG replicas
03 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Silver/Charcoal Pano-roof - my dealership demo

#4 DofD

DofD

Attack bunnies on duty

• 2,651 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

Any help is appreciated.

Hi there and welcome to the forums! :thumbs:

I'm not familiar with the Car2U system (yet), but there is a page on the Car2U site where you can enter the model of the opener to get the instructions (Car2U Opener Instructions).

I also came across this thread (Car2U Opener Issues) that talks about the Genie openers have issues with the Car2U system.

Also I would suggest giving Car2U a call (1-866-57Car2U) to see if they can help.
Posted Image
Now: 2009 Tahoe LTZ, 4x4, 5.3L - Yes there are PICS
Then: 1997 Tahoe LT, 4x4, 5.7L
Before Then: 1990 Silverado RC Sport Side, 4x4, 5.7L
Member of the Red Truck Club

#5 Nuts

Nuts

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forums! :D

I'm not familiar with the Car2U system (yet), but there is a page on the Car2U site where you can enter the model of the opener to get the instructions (Car2U Opener Instructions).

I also came across this thread (Car2U Opener Issues) that talks about the Genie openers have issues with the Car2U system.

Also I would suggest giving Car2U a call (1-866-57Car2U) to see if they can help.

DofD,

Thanks for your reply ! :D I did contact Lear Car2U through their website and got a solution that worked for the Genie door, but I don't understand why it doesn't work like it should !!!! :D Here is their solution.

1. Clear the Car2U system by pushing the two outside buttons until it blinks then quits.
2. Push the "Learn" button on the Genie door opener.
3. Push the #1 button on the Car2U. It seems that this button is the only one that will work with a Genie Door opener or Overhead Door.
4. Door should work. It didn't !!! :D

Here is how I actually got it to work.
3. Push and hold the #1 button on the CAr2U for about 5-6 seconds, then release and push again for 5-6 seconds, then release again and push a third time
4. Door should work. And it does !!! :lol:

I programed the Car2U just the way the Genie book told to program their remote !

Seems to me that GM has taken their usual route and gone with something "CHEAP" rather than using the HomeLink system that actually works. Sure would be nice to have the doors open in order (1 2 3) instead of (2 1 3). Well maybe I can get the 3rd door to work on button #3, I haven't tried because I have a project car in the shop area, and I can't move it to get to the opener. That will be down the road I hope.

Hope this helps someone else !!!! :lol: :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users