Inner Tie Rod Replacement

66vetteman

Question

I have a 2001 2WD Silverado LT with 107K miles. It has power rack and pinion steering. I need to replace the inner tie rod ends because of wear. I read a previous post from GM-TECH that explained the procedure for a 4WD. Is the procedure the same for my truck since it is 2WD? I'm not that familiar with the 4WD's and don't know if they have R/P and use the same steering components.

Thanks,

Nick

0 answers to this question

That J tool is just a crow foot wrench. Just google crow foot tool and you should be able to see what they look like. You should be able to pick one up anywhere that sells tools, you don't need to go to the dealer. I can't remember what the size is take your new inner tie rod end to get the tool it should be the same size as the old one. The dealer would probably be the last place that would have one for you to buy.

I have a 2001 2WD Silverado LT with 107K miles. It has power rack and pinion steering. I need to replace the inner tie rod ends because of wear. I read a previous post from GM-TECH that explained the procedure for a 4WD. Is the procedure the same for my truck since it is 2WD? I'm not that familiar with the 4WD's and don't know if they have R/P and use the same steering components.

Thanks,

Nick

Can't speak for all 4wd's but my 02 does not have use the rack & pinion system. Looking at the service manual for the 02 here what it says:

"J 34028 Inner Tie Rod Wrench Required"

REMOVAL

- Raise & support the vehicle.

- Remove the tire & wheel assy.

- Remove the rack & pinion boot.

Notice: Do not change the rack bearing preload adjustment before removing the inner tie rod from the steering rack. This could cause damage to the pinion or steering rack or both.

- Remove the shock dampener from the inner tie rod.

- Slide the shock dampener back onto the rod.

Important: Do not hold the steering rack while removing the inner tie rod if the preload adjustment has not been changed.

- Remove the inner tie rod from the rack assembly as follows:

-- Place a wrench on the flats of the inner tie rod housing.

--Rotate the inner tie rod housing counterclockwise until the inner tie rod separates from the rack.

- Remove the old loctite from the threads of the rackk and the inner tie rod.

INSTALLATION

Important: Make sure the shock dampener is on the rack before installing the inner tie rod.

- Apply loctite 262, or equivalent, to the inner tie rod threads.

- Install the inner tie rod to the rack and pinion. Install a torque wrench to the J34028 to tighten the inner tie rod. Hold the rack with a wrench on the flats while tightening the tie rod. Tighten the inner tie rod to 74 lb ft.

- Slide the shock dampener over the inner tie rod housing until the front lip of the shock dampener bottoms out against the inner tie rod housing.

- Install the rack & pinion boot.

- Install tire & wheel assy.

- Lower vehicle.

- Check the wheel alignment.

IMG_0280.jpg

Thanks for the reply John. Curious that it doesn't say to remove the outer tie rod end before removing the inner?..... What is the shock dampener?

Thanks again,

Nick

Not a thing about removing the outer tie rod. Item 2 in the attached photo.

What is item 3?

The book doesn't specifically say anything about item 3 but it looks like it's part of the rack assembly. If you'd like some other pictures from the service manual send me a PM w/ your email address and I'll forward them to you.

I've got the pass side all apart but can't get the inner tie rod loose. The inner tie rod only has two flats and they are positioned so I can't get a crescent wrench on it cause the handle hits the frame. The new inner tie rod has 3 sets of flats, better idea! Looks like I need the special tool from GM. Does Chevy dealer sell the GM tool or will I have to get it from KD Tool?? NAPA may have something but have to wait til Tue, bummer!

Nick

I picked up the tool this morn and got re-started on the tie rods. The tool worked pretty good, kinda cumbersome since the tie rod is pivoting around and I am laying on my back wrestling with it. Plus there is 90+ lbs of torque on the thing so it takes some grunt to get it loose. I set the new pieces the same dimensions as the old so my alignment should be close. Took it out for a drive and it feels good, can't get it aligned til Thur morn. Thanks to those that replied, especially John for the pics and info.

Nick

Learned a lot today. Snap-On has the 1 7/16 crows foot for $54.25+shipping which takes 4-7 days, too long. Called the local dealer, they don't sell the J34028. Did Google on J34028, nothing! Figured Kent-Moore would have it since they make lots of GM tools, WRONG!! GM Parts? Wrong again! Visited NAPA and ordered the KD Tool 3312 inner tie rod tool for $61 :lol: . Will be here tomorrow. http://www.kd-tools.com/3312.htm

John, thanks for the pics, they help a lot. I bought the parts at NAPA today. The inners were $46.46 ea and I figured I would replace the outers as well for $49.50 ea. I will probably screw up the boot getting them off with the pickle fork anyway. I should be able to replace them tomorrow and then take it in for alignment. I don't have the special tool required so I will guess at the 74 lbs of torque (one grunt or two?). I do have some Loctite though.

Thanks again,

Nick

John, thanks for the pics, they help a lot. I bought the parts at NAPA today. The inners were $46.46 ea and I figured I would replace the outers as well for $49.50 ea. I will probably screw up the boot getting them off with the pickle fork anyway. I should be able to replace them tomorrow and then take it in for alignment. I don't have the special tool required so I will guess at the 74 lbs of torque (one grunt or two?). I do have some Loctite though.

Thanks again,

Nick

You're quite welcome. That special tool looks like a regular crows foot to me unless there is something that you just can't tell from the photo. If you run into any problems I can at least help you w/ procedures and pictures since I have no experience at all w/ the rack and pinion system. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply John. Curious that it doesn't say to remove the outer tie rod end before removing the inner?..... What is the shock dampener?

Thanks again,

Nick

Just for the heck of it I took a look at the boot removal procedures and the first step says to remove the outer tie rod....makes good sense otherwise you'd never get that boot off.

Archived