No More Dex-cool Problems

I just realized that we don't see Dex-Cool problems anymore like we once did. I'm pegging that to industry wide awareness that you don't put green fluid into a GM vehicle. I think that's where a lot of the problems came in (fluid mixing). Also, maybe GM did something to keep problems from occuring. Anyway, it's good to see that the gelling problem seems to have pretty much gone away.

I agree...dont see too nuch about that stuff anymore. I still hear of people switching it out b/c of the horror stories they may have heard from past problems. I had a 04 Colorado before my current truck and it never had any problems up to the time I sold it with 86,000+ miles.

P.S. I saw that you made a trip from Wilminton, DE to Texas. Did you used to live here?

Just my opinion, but I do not think there ever were any "Dex-Cool" problems. I think there were some gasket issues and possibly some owner error in mixing traditional with Dex but I really do not think there was an issue with the product itself. I have run it in everything I have driven since 1994 with the exception of my 71.

I've got a 2001 Buick Century with 34k miles, (it was my grandmas) and with what I know and have seen from the Dex-cool problems this thing is getting coolant changes every 25k miles, just as a precaution, but good point on the lack of dex-cool stuff in more recent models and years, glad to see GM has fixed or solved this issue.

Just my opinion, but I do not think there ever were any "Dex-Coo" problems. I think there were some gasket issues and possibly some owner error in mixing traditional with Dex but I really do not think there was an issue with the product itself. I have run it in everything I have driven since 1994 with the exception of my 71.

+1

One of the "problems" was air getting into the system.

For some reason the inside of the rad would get clogged up.

Dex-crap education I think, is the main reason for the reduced complaints.

Or, the problem is still out there. But with less reporting because people have become accustomed to the issues.

One of the "problems" was air getting into the system

This is where I think the main problem was. GM gave everyone this "great new coolant that doesn't need to be serviced for 100k" and I think that translated for alot of customers into thinking less about even checking level. Also mixing hard water with dexcool is always a problem.

I agree...dont see too nuch about that stuff anymore. I still hear of people switching it out b/c of the horror stories they may have heard from past problems. I had a 04 Colorado before my current truck and it never had any problems up to the time I sold it with 86,000+ miles.

P.S. I saw that you made a trip from Wilminton, DE to Texas. Did you used to live here?

No, I've been in the D.C. area pretty much since the beginning. A buddy of mine's dad needed the boat towed down there, I really love Texas, so, it seemed like a natural fit. (i.e. free vacation). However, to tell you how hard this thing was working, I got 8 mpg (can normally get 19-20 on the highway). Pretty much 55 in 3rd gear the whole time. I really wasn't a huge fan of the tow/haul mode though.

there were problems with Dex-Cool? I just added the clear "Add to any antifreeze" Prestone to my 05 Pontiac Grand AM with 60k. It has never had a cooloant change. I suppose it is about time to change it. I dont really want to wait till 100k or 5 years.

I have used Dex cool in my 79 K10 400 4x4 and Audi 80 5 cylinder with no problems.

All you can find at the store now is the clear prestone add to any coolant.

I hope you can really add it to any coolant. :lol:

You mention you can only find the universal add to any coolant anti freeze at the store. Go to a real parts store and they will have real Dex Cool. We sell the universal stuff as well as traditional green, GO 5 Gold, Dex Cool, Universal, 50/50 Pre mix and Toyota specific coolant.I do not recommend the universal stuff and would not use it. As long as the OE specified coolant is available, that is what I am going to use.

I, along with my father, Have never had any problems with Dex-cool. Still running the factory coolant in my truck with 192K miles on it. Now at Land Rover we do have problems, but only because of faulty gaskets allowing air into the coolant and it gelling up. Besides that, great coolant

My 01 had about 96K on it when Wingnut bought it. No Dexcool issues at all up until then and he hasn't mentioned any since. I think GM has addressed their initial Dexcool probs.

I had to add about 1/4 gallon this summer...But I don't know where it went. No leaks and none in the earl. :)

No big deal though. 115k miles and Fred has proven to be a superb truck, and WITH 115k on it, you expect little things to pop up from time to time. Besides...Everything in the cooling system is easy to replace on these trucks anyway...And worst case (it comes apart)??? I get a bigger motor. :D

Archived